Author Topic: 9:30 world's fair....?!  (Read 55079 times)

Unsanity

Re: 9:30 world's fair....?!
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2016, 02:07:21 am »
I went tonight. It was a fun romp. Looks like a lot of care and work went into it all. I certainly enjoyed my experience but alas they ran out of cupcakes and gave me a coupon that will probably expire before I see another show at 9:30 haha.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2016, 06:24:04 am »
Definitely saw me some Gwar footage at one of the video exhibits.

Went Saturday at 2 pm. Thanks Seth and 9:30 staff. Loved everything. Had a great time!  Picked up a book and look forward to leafing through it.

there was a Ween item at the World's Fair Yada.. so you must go.
I saw a set list ...by said PE set list
I didn't see any video or brown paraphernalia

That top ten is crazy and cool at the same time
TMBG I would have never guessed, as well as the Roots
The Rev comes in pretty high, being from TX and all
No one will have a chance at taking out the Slickee boys (who I've never seen)

and speaking of GWAR, I can't believe they didn't have any video of that spectacle
guess not really unique to the club, but as we can see from the list, regulars

I will say Alternative Country was really poorly represented. :P......

set1914

« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2016, 09:12:05 am »
Thank you to every one at the 9:30 for putting together a such a great experience. It was fun looking for looking for my first show at the old club, first show at the new club, and the first show with my wife in the hall of records.

« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2016, 12:33:22 pm »
hall of records.
They should almost make that permanent and put Plexiglas infront or something
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2016, 05:29:59 pm »
hall of records.

I read somewhere it is permanent.   There was a sign posted that if you pony up one of the missing albums, they'll comp you a pair.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2016, 06:00:33 pm »
attended saturday at 2pm, great experience.  i knew it was going to be great as soon as i walked up the stars and the jesus lizard were playing at the old club, heh

i think i stayed for about an hour and a half...could have easily stayed longer, but i could tell the people i went with were getting annoyed (the nerve!!)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2016, 06:17:24 pm »
hall of records.

I read somewhere it is permanent.   There was a sign posted that if you pony up one of the missing albums, they'll comp you a pair.

Is there a list of missing albums somewhere?

hutch

« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2016, 07:06:11 pm »
hall of records.

Is there a list of missing albums somewhere?

what do they mean by "missing albums"? there were a ton of missing CDs that they had just typed out /printed out the names and put in there..too many missing...

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2016, 08:00:25 pm »
hall of records.

yup; it's permanent

hutch

« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2016, 09:38:28 pm »
well I thought it left a lot to be desired in execution even though I loved the concept but when you actually looked at the cds you noticed  so many albums were simply cases of them printing out the artist name and album title and putting them on the cd spine.. and I'm talking  about very common albums you can get for a $1 at any thrift.. maybe they just thought of the idea late or maybe they really want people to get involved.. seemed odd to me...if they are really going to give you free tickets for providing those cds I need to get on it .. maybe they mean only for proving the missing LPs for the first few years?

now that its over I don't feel like a spoiler in saying I loved the old 930 CLUB POLE being represented there..that was funny as shit..I took a few pictures watching Cave video with the pole there... also loved the blue goo or whatever vodka thingie they were selling...and the stuff about the guy who was the early design guy.. and then sadly died of AIDS...I can't believe his name escapes me but I have a bunch of pictures .. Marc or Mark something or other..Marc Holmes, maybe? it was interesting to read how he provided the club the aesthetic it still has.. I found the old club stuff more interesting..but that's just me..

I also thought based on the setlists they had up there that the idea to hold on to setlists just occurred to them recently.. .except for a couple (Dylan) they were mainly recent setlists even when it was an act that had played there in the 90s the setlist they had was from a few years ago...old 97s and ween came to mind...and since the setlists were sort of dedicated (at least some of them) it seemed like a recent thing they are asking from bands maybe with this in mind or with preserving the clubs history in mind..

also I have to say a word: I had never been to the satellite room.. I get in there and the  smoke was thick and it seemed like every other person was smoking?? I was like whoaaaaaaaaaaa what is going on here// I guess they got an approval cause its sort of meant to be a covered deck???? or maybe they just blew off the law?? it was very bizzare.. now it was true that the main bar did not have smoking but you weren't supposed to go through to the other room, I got the impression but I guess I misunderstood (imust have cause that was wherethe bathroom was) that you weren't supposed to go there until your number/group letter was called.. of course that would be idiocy because what about all the regulars... anyways it was odd.. they had ashtrays... part of me thought "are they trying to replicate the old days allowing smoking and blowing off the rules".. then I thought "maybethey got a permit for smoking with the its a deck argument?" as a former smoker who tries hard not to smoke anymore it was really hard sitting there for 30-40 minutes (cause we were late in being let in) waiting with everyone around me smoking.... with smoking being illegal most everywhere including foreign countries- in restaurants and bars- I found it really bizarre but I must have missed something.. still, the fans were NOT running and the only circulation was that the door was open.. and it wasn't a big door .. maybe it was also because it was the end of the night and they weren't enforcing it? I have no idea... i'm not necessarily coming down on it as I thought it was kind of a fun, if unhealthy and weird, throwback to a now bygone era...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 09:54:55 pm by hutch »

« Reply #175 on: January 10, 2016, 10:10:54 pm »
The left side of the satellite room has lots of opening and it's like a deck with cement walls
Typically even if a bunch of people are smoking there, it's not that bad

sucks you had to wait that long to get in
we went right in

The heavy security patdown was somewhat unexpected
slack

hutch

« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2016, 10:15:00 pm »

sucks you had to wait that long to get in
we went right in

oh I loved it.. I had a couple of IPAs, smoked a few cigarettes.. it was perfect.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2016, 10:11:23 am »
what do they mean by "missing albums"? there were a ton of missing CDs that they had just typed out /printed out the names and put in there..too many missing...

That's what I meant by "missing".  There was a sign posted in the hallway adjacent to the LP/CD room explaining that they printed up "dummy" CDs on the fictitious 9:30 Club label, and that if you brought them the real thing, they'd give you a pair of tickets.  Not sure if there are limits on the offer, but yeah, you could go to alot of shows for free....

The deal is also posted here:  http://parklifedc.com/2016/01/06/music-park-930-worlds-fair-930-club-15-1916/
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:14:53 am by jaded »

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2016, 11:54:35 am »
according to city paper article.. top 10 acts (in times played)

slickee boys 84
toasters 41
fleshtones 38
Trouble Funk 37
They might be giants 35
Cowboy Mouth/thievery 31
Tommy Keene/Roots 30
Gwar/Emmet Swimming 29
George Clinton 27
Reverend Horton Heat 26
Clutch/Love Tractor 25
Chuck Brown 24
Pietasters/Galactic 23
Feelies 22
G Love/Yo La Tengo 21
EU/Dead Milkmen 20

The Dead Milkmen have played 21 times, 22 if you count a time as a support act. :) It's actually in the back of the 930 Club book too!
3MTA3

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2016, 11:57:26 am »
so over on the 930s facebook page, there were several people quite angry saying that black artists weren't represented at all other than a public enemy setlist, bad brains something or the other and like 1 other thing.

i haven't been yet.  thoughts?

Yeah, I got all annoyed at this woman.
930 is and always has been great to black performers (and concert goers)
there was major representation in just about every display there
and they weren't just token things, they were prominent

It's pretty bad when she got called out on everything. Hell I took the artists she was complaining didn't get props, and they were all from the new club, except the Roots who played the last year at the F St location. She then goes on and on to get an article about it, and then posts that article. She's supposedly extended family of the club? I call bullshit on that, and that she was actually at the event in the first place. There's no way you could feel anything was under-represented for the old space. Unbelievable!
3MTA3