Author Topic: The LCD Soundsystem "Not a Reunion" Thread  (Read 15035 times)

hutch

Re: The LCD Soundsystem "Not a Reunion" Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 04:35:44 pm »
I mean every time you go to a Stones show its because "it could be the last time"... doesn't mean they have ever said they are retiring..

hutch

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 04:37:58 pm »
same with AC/DC.. they have never said they are retiring..

I like that model.. saying you are retiring and making a big to-do about it is kind of lame.. .doesn't make any difference whether you are the Who or LCD Soundsystem.. same lameness... doesn't even matter if you reform in my book.... just don't frickin' retire and make a big deal about it... at least call it a "hiatus"... I mean how do bands know how they will feel  a few years later or how much they will miss the groupies?

hutch

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 04:43:59 pm »
"It's all just gotten bigger than I planned or wanted. Not that I'm against it but I don't want to get bigger. What's the goal now-- get fucking huge? I don't want to be a famous person. "

so, you know, I'll come out of retirement and we'll play Coachella...

hutch

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 04:45:04 pm »
He also addressed the fans who "feel betrayed by us coming back and playing," which he said he hadn?t thought about after "clearly" anticipating a more cynical response. "if you cared a lot about our band, and you put a lot of yourself into that moment (or anything about us you chose), and you feel betrayed now, then i completely understand that," he wrote. "to you i have to say: i?m seriously sorry. the only thing we can do now is get back into the studio and finish this record, and make it as fucking good as we can possibly make it."

vansmack

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 04:53:14 pm »
they have been consistent..

From the Wiki page (with a book source):

Initially, lead singer Mick Jagger was not interested in another tour, but guitarists Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood were, as were elements of the press and public, and Jagger eventually relented.

Sandford, Christopher (2003). Mick Jagger: Rebel Knight. Omnibus Press. ISBN 0-7119-9833-7. p. 276.

I will agree that they have never retired, but it was high press that this might be the last chance to see the Stones because Jagger was going to go solo.  Just the threat is enough for a big act (some said later that it was all an act to make sure they could sell out all of the huge venues - it was the largest grossing tour at the time - but there's been no proof).   Then Jagger did go solo, toured by himself and the band didn't comeback to America until 1989, so it looked to be true for a long time.  But hey, I was a HUGE beneficiary so no complaints from me that it never panned out.

Now, back to LCD Soundsystem.... 
27>34

killsaly

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 05:10:47 pm »
I feel like they are a band that I should love, but for some reason I only like them.

hutch

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 05:28:00 pm »
I am retiring from this board...

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 05:48:41 pm »
I am retiring from this board...
Huzzah! Is there a tshirt I can buy to commemorate this?
LVMH

rich_WDC

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 05:50:11 pm »
Hey, we're from D.C., right??   Can't we get some Congressional legislation going to ensure that a band/artist needs to be retired (in whatever definition the bipartisan committee can agree upon) for X-number of years before any comeback (again, assuming appropriate defining) can be done?  

Make "Farewell Tour" and other designations Federally-controlled!

Relaxer

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 06:09:14 pm »
As long as Ozzy is exempt
oword

Yada

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 06:14:24 pm »
I feel like they are a band that I should love, but for some reason I only dislike them.

Relaxer

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 06:17:12 pm »
I feel like they are a band that I should love, but for some reason I only dislike them.

This captures how I feel better than the original statement.

Except, I don't really feel like they are a band that I should love. I find them boring, and I find him boring, and their records too. They might be the band that I own the most of, while not liking any of it, because I felt like it was my fault I wasn't getting into it. What a world.
oword

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 07:26:18 pm »
Smackie is the show you are referring to the one at Roundhay park in 82?  Because I was also at that Farewell show...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopmusic/9559649/Is-this-the-first-of-many-farewell-shows.html
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 08:30:20 pm »
Smackie is the show you are referring to the one at Roundhay park in 82?  Because I was also at that Farewell show...

That was the European leg of said tour, yes.
27>34

K8teebug

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2016, 09:38:56 am »
I think it's okay for people to change their minds. You could tell at the end of the documentary that he looked so sad! Okay, so maybe they should have said "hiatus" like Sleater-Kinney did, but who cares? Like them, don't like them. That's cool.