Author Topic: Iggy Pop Philadelphia April 15 show roll call  (Read 17090 times)

TheREALHunter

Re: Iggy Pop Philadelphia April 15 show roll call
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2016, 08:52:26 am »
So bummed I missed this :(

I'm sorry too. I know how much of a QOTSA fan you are and they were the perfect accompanying band to Iggy. Matt Sweeney and Matt Helders were a terrific rhythm section too. Matt Sweeney and Josh have known each other since they were 19 and you could see that it was a dream come true for them. The magic of it was not lost on them. They were overjoyed and they played their hearts out. When Dean looked at the audience and at Iggy, it was nothing but total awe. This is the show I want to always remember Iggy for. For as much as I loved the 3 Stooges shows I saw, this was on another level and better than any other Iggy solo show I've seen.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and Iggy certainly had a top shelf group of musicians backing him bringing back the spirit of '77 but to me nothing will top his Stooges 930 set from 2007 for sheer raw intensity (was that really over 9 years ago? jesus)

bearman🐻

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2016, 09:03:45 am »
I thoroughly enjoyed myself and Iggy certainly had a top shelf group of musicians backing him bringing back the spirit of '77 but to me nothing will top his Stooges 930 set from 2007 for sheer raw intensity (was that really over 9 years ago? jesus)

That was a completely different experience, 2 different eras of Iggy. The funny thing is other than "I Wanna Be your Dog" and maybe "Search and Destroy", solo Iggy has far more recognizable songs: "The Passenger", "Lust for Life", "China Girl". But in terms of solo Iggy shows, this was unbeatable. Seeing the Stooges and seeing a tour like this (in my opinion) are both prime Iggy, but for totally different reasons. I'm probably one of the rare people that can't decide which I enjoyed more.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2016, 09:25:29 am »
I really REALLY wish I could have  caught a show on this tour.  I'd be very surprised if this lineup does any more shows beyond what's on the books.

I've seen Iggy many times, and the reconstituted Stooges several times with Ron on guitar.  Really wish I'd seen a show with James Williamson, but now that Scott is dead I'd imagine it's just Iggy solo from hear on out.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying these shows so much.

hutch

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2016, 09:38:32 am »

That was a completely different experience, 2 different eras of Iggy. The funny thing is other than "I Wanna Be your Dog" and maybe "Search and Destroy", solo Iggy has far more recognizable songs: "The Passenger", "Lust for Life", "China Girl". But in terms of solo Iggy shows, this was unbeatable. Seeing the Stooges and seeing a tour like this (in my opinion) are both prime Iggy, but for totally different reasons. I'm probably one of the rare people that can't decide which I enjoyed more.

yeah... I'm sort of the same boat.. they were very different shows.. also not just in terms of the songs but the approach ... the Stooges show I thought was more spontaneous whereas the show in Philly was much more professional.... I liked seeing the Berlin era stuff get the professional treatment one time....it deserves it....when you see pictures or read about the few Berlin era shows performed with Bowie it looks like they could barely hold it together....usually playing crummy venues to indifference... here nothing was out of place..everything sounded perfect ..Iggy is the picture of perfect health... at the same time it was very well choreographed/planned out.. I bet if one saw the show again it would be fairly similar...doesn't mean its not a great show....it was magnificent.... the Stooges show was much more by the seat of the pants punk.... to me the material is so different it requires the different appraoch

the Stooges show at the 930 may be my personal favorite show... but its hard to compete with that because I was relatively clueless about Iggy Pop and was in no way expecting it to be so powerful...so I was just overcome with shock.... I thought it would be more of legacy/geezer show and then Iggy comes out and its like 1970 or something? WTF?

I've been reading an interesting Henry Rollins book called Fanatic.... its about his playlists for his radio show and he talks about the different songs and musicians (almost all punk).. and whenever he mentions Iggy he calls him the King of Rock and Roll.... and maybe he really is.....Chuck Berry will always be the man for me but Iggy is just an amazing force of nature..

but yeah.. its amazing how different the two shows were.. I can't get over that... when I remember the Stooges show I kind of remember it in stark black and white.......the Philly show is in bright color.... the Stooges show was confrontational..the band and the audience.... the Philly show I felt the crowd Iggy and the band were one...together... like I said, the Stooges show felt spontaneous.. this one felt crafted, choreographed and very carefully planned and executed....a performance.

if I sound like I'm fawning its because I am....  ;D.. I loved it....

bearman🐻

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2016, 09:54:33 am »
Hutch, excellent points. You nailed the difference succinctly. The Stooges were confrontational and raw. Real punk rock. Iggy's show was more polished but about togetherness. Like we were all part of the same purpose. Really brilliantly put.

Here's a terrific article by the way:
http://www.southflorida.com/music/sf-iggy-pop-josh-homme-interview-fillmore-miami-beach-20160413-story.html

Space Freely

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2016, 10:01:23 am »
I saw the Stooges, once on 9/5/2005 at Bumbershoot Festival, and Iggy solo on 11/6/1990 w/Mano Negra @ Saratoga Winners.

I wonder if he was better in 1990, 2005, or 2016?

The Stooges show made more of a dent on my memory buds. He actually seemed kind of a has-been in 1990.

hutch

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2016, 10:27:05 am »
I saw the Stooges, once on 9/5/2005 at Bumbershoot Festival, and Iggy solo on 11/6/1990 w/Mano Negra @ Saratoga Winners.

The Stooges show made more of a dent on my memory buds. He actually seemed kind of a has-been in 1990.

oh.. mano negra.. nice...

Space Freely

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2016, 10:33:01 am »

oh.. mano negra.. nice...

In my head, it's hard to separate the difference between Manu Negra and Les Negresses Vertes. Two bands I liked but literally haven't listed to in 25 years. Might have to pull out the cassette box and see what i still have.

Vas Deferens

(_|_)