Author Topic: Parenting issues  (Read 63857 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Parenting issues
« Reply #240 on: June 24, 2022, 02:51:54 pm »
people who live in cold environments send WAAAY more pollutants into the air than AC units and their electrical draw

where are you getting your information?

Analyses of home-energy use reveal that we use more energy to heat our homes (41.7 million BTUs per year, on average, at a cost of $631) than to cool them (7.8 million BTUs, at $276).

homeowners in cold states like Minnesota were putting out 20 to 25 percent more carbon dioxide through the use of their heaters than were the A/C-happy folks in Florida.

Source

they don't define "heating" and "cooling" particularly well.  is cooling = A/C only?  more importantly, is heating = furnace only?  what about water heating and clothes drying, which are needed all year around?

here are some more recent data (that slate article is 10 years old) that breaks down energy consumption by category: https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=96&t=3 - not much difference between heating and cooling.

thanks to climate change, we're seeing more heat events than cold events.  as a general trend, temps are rising.  the need for cooling will only increase, leading to more energy consumption.

EDIT: dammit.  those stats are for electricity only.  heating obviously uses gas and oil too... back to the drawing board.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 02:56:58 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #241 on: June 24, 2022, 03:00:18 pm »
why are there brownouts or blackouts in the summer, but none during cold snaps in the winter? 
Texas' ghetto ass powergrid would like a word.

n=1 makes for a poor counter-argument, but indeed, once again texas manages to provide an exception. 

"exceptio probat regulam", the exception that proves the rule.
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #242 on: June 24, 2022, 03:08:11 pm »
Actually n=1 is a slamdunk counter-argument to "none" or n=0 claims, but feel free to pop off by all means.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #243 on: June 24, 2022, 03:19:21 pm »
"why are there THOUSANDS of brownouts or blackouts in the summer, but ONLY EVER ONE RECORDED CASE during cold snaps in the winter?"

pedants don't win arguments, brah.
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #244 on: June 24, 2022, 03:28:46 pm »
"why are there THOUSANDS of brownouts or blackouts in the summer, but ONLY EVER ONE RECORDED CASE during cold snaps in the winter?"
LVMH

« Reply #245 on: June 24, 2022, 04:43:18 pm »
Why did this have to become racist...I know the missing word about winter is white
slack

Yada

« Reply #246 on: September 01, 2022, 03:07:13 pm »
Space, as the forum sponsor of parenting issues and vacation planning, WTF happened to the interface on AirBB where you actually have to pick a mountain house, yurt, camper, etc. and can't just see ALL of the options in a certain area? This is awful.

Space Freely

« Reply #247 on: September 01, 2022, 03:29:33 pm »
Space, as the forum sponsor of parenting issues and vacation planning, WTF happened to the interface on AirBB where you actually have to pick a mountain house, yurt, camper, etc. and can't just see ALL of the options in a certain area? This is awful.

I am not sure. I was looking for airbnbs in Portugal the other day and didn't notice anything new. Where were you looking? Do you mean it only shows you one type of abode at a time?

Why Portugal? My wife had expressed an interest in the Azores.  Flights there were a bit pricey, but I noticed they are quite cheap from Lisbon. We weren't planning on returning to Europe a second year in a row. But I was playing around on Orbitz, and I saw several airlines (Brussels Air, British Airways, Lufthansa, Iberia) with ridiculously cheap airfares to Lisbon. Like $350-$450 RT in the height of next summer. Which is odd because the direct flights from which you are connecting to Lisbon from (Brussels, London, Munich, Madrid) are all over $1000 RT. So, Portugal and the Azores it is.

Sorry, I have no parenting questions today. We went to back to school night and met the teachers last night. None of them commented on my Wilco t-shirt, I guess there were no Nick Cave's in the house.

Yada

« Reply #248 on: September 01, 2022, 03:48:09 pm »

I am not sure. I was looking for airbnbs in Portugal the other day and didn't notice anything new. Where were you looking? Do you mean it only shows you one type of abode at a time?

Why Portugal? My wife had expressed an interest in the Azores.  Flights there were a bit pricey, but I noticed they are quite cheap from Lisbon. We weren't planning on returning to Europe a second year in a row. But I was playing around on Orbitz, and I saw several airlines (Brussels Air, British Airways, Lufthansa, Iberia) with ridiculously cheap airfares to Lisbon. Like $350-$450 RT in the height of next summer. Which is odd because the direct flights from which you are connecting to Lisbon from (Brussels, London, Munich, Madrid) are all over $1000 RT. So, Portugal and the Azores it is.

Sorry, I have no parenting questions today. We went to back to school night and met the teachers last night. None of them commented on my Wilco t-shirt, I guess there were no Nick Cave's in the house.

In the past, I have liked to use Airbb as more, I go, put in what I'm looking for and then legitimately search all of the eastern seaboard. It doesn't look like that's the case now if your location is "anywhere". I did find a work around though, just pick a city and then search outside of those city limits.

I was supposed to go to Lisbon in August of 2020. :0(

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #249 on: September 01, 2022, 05:25:29 pm »
lisbon, and portugal in general, is a great holiday destination.

when airbnb ain't working for me, i check out vrbo.com.  i actually prefer it for longer-term rentals (week+) or when looking for an entire house.  got an amazing and relatively cheap beachfront house in the yucatan for 8 people for 10 days just before covid ruined everything.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #250 on: November 11, 2022, 06:10:21 pm »
My wife has been working since 7am yhis morning, and just got a job assignment at 5pm on a Friday Veterans Day.

My daughter wants to go for a walk with my wife, but wife too busy with work. Daughter says  "Why do you have to be working after 5 on a Friday holiday, my father isn't."

Response: "Your father is a dipshit."

Yada

« Reply #251 on: November 11, 2022, 08:14:38 pm »
What a peach.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #252 on: November 11, 2022, 08:21:56 pm »
A keeper for sure

« Reply #253 on: November 11, 2022, 08:24:24 pm »
Is she wrong is the question we should be asking?
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #254 on: November 12, 2022, 08:35:00 am »
Is she wrong is the question we should be asking?

I guess my point is that though there were a million things wrong with both of my parents as partners, I don't ever remember either of them ever cutting the other one down or calling the other names in front of me or my brother.

And she literally prioritizes her work above everything. "That's what normal working people do, I don't have some fake ass government job, that's not the real world." And that's ok if that's what she needs to do (I think she should quietly quit(, but don't criticize me because I don't do the same. I work 45 hours a week, am happy with what I do, and get exceptional job reviews. But that's not my whole life. Sorry, but many normal people take federal holidays off. And when they do, it doesn't make them a dipshit.

Sorry for the rant. I suppose I should just rant to my teenage daughter, or my friends who died, moved away, or faded away, rather than other weirdos on the internet.