Author Topic: Why won't Pearl Jam play Verizon Center?  (Read 6575 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Why won't Pearl Jam play Verizon Center?
« on: April 16, 2016, 03:40:34 pm »
Was discussing this with a fellow PJ fan. Yes, I know they played the VC in 2000 and 2008 (and possibly one more time), but they haven't played the VC since 2008, instead playing shitboxes like Baltimore Arena and Nissan Pavillion. Now they're playing Hampton and Philly.

Any thoughts as to why they won't play the Verizon Center? Is the rent for the VC through the roof?

analogfossa

Re: Why won't Pearl Jam play Verizon Center?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 04:52:42 pm »
Could possbibly be touring agency they currently use. Agencies (not surprisingly) have ins with certain venues.

killsaly

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 08:19:51 pm »
Would MPP be acceptable?  I would have possibly seen them this go around if they were coming closer, it has been several years since my last (and only) live PJ experience. 

Also, damn that was a good setlist...
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-jam/2008/great-stage-park-manchester-tn-43d6a7c3.html

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 02:15:57 pm »
Would MPP be acceptable?  I would have possibly seen them this go around if they were coming closer, it has been several years since my last (and only) live PJ experience. 

Also, damn that was a good setlist...
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-jam/2008/great-stage-park-manchester-tn-43d6a7c3.html

I'd be more than fine with MPP, a legendary venue. But I would REALLY rather them play the VC.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 09:33:23 pm »
They played for first time in Baltimore at the (then named) First Mariner Bank Arena (aka Civic Center, Royal Farms Arena). Would love for them to come back there

hutch

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 10:03:41 pm »
I cannot stand the Verizon Center.. how anyone would actually want to see a show in that soul-less arena is beyond me...

They also played VC as part of Vote for Change in 2004...

I would even take Nissan over VC.. at least its outdoors and I can have a few beers before the show in the parking lot...Arenas are way more chaotic/hectic/claustrophobic... the concourses make me virtually puke.. one crummy concession after another...ugh...

I also saw Pearl Jam at MPP and NIssan and both shows were amazing...I think I have the MPP which was released as part of their official bootleg series.. that was the show Sonic Youth was supposed to open but someone close to them died and they did not play..

K8teebug

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 07:24:40 am »
I would like to see them at Merriweather again. I've only seen them once, there, in 1996? 1997? One of those years.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 08:12:15 am »
I want them to play VC because it will make my transportation costs as minimal as possible. All the BS involved with the arena would make it worth it.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 09:35:56 am »
I want them to play VC because it will make my transportation costs as minimal as possible. All the BS involved with the arena would make it worth it.

an understandable opinion, but one that i don't agree with.  i go to concerts for quality of the show, not what happens before and after.  at best it's a minor consideration.  for a band that can put on as good a show as PJ can, i'll slog through some traffic.

and how anyone can complain about VC being soul-less and prefer The Lube is beyond me...
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 09:45:50 am »

an understandable opinion, but one that i don't agree with.  i go to concerts for quality of the show, not what happens before and after.  at best it's a minor consideration.  for a band that can put on as good a show as PJ can, i'll slog through some traffic.

and how anyone can complain about VC being soul-less and prefer The Lube is beyond me...

I think you missed the fact that you can DRINK BEER IN THE PARKING LOT.

There is no place to get/drink a beer before a Verizon Center show within 100 miles.

Yada

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 10:39:23 am »
It's been since 2008 that I last saw Pearl Jam as well (bailed on their Bawlmore show in 2013). I do remember the sound in the VC in 2008 being beyond loud and that kind of sucked...

also...

http://www.jambase.com/article/pearl-jam-performs-vs-entirety-south-carolina

hutch

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 11:19:09 am »

I like to look at the sky and breathe fresh air???

There are lots of things about me that are beyond you and will always be.....just ignore them.. don't get rattled...or bothered... like you freaked out when I wrote something about Ace Frehley.. whats it to you? I was just exagerating.. you had to shit on it of course... you just couldn't handle it... the idea that someone thought Ace was a great guitarist.. OMG.....we're talking about Pearl Jam here... go ask Mike Mccready what he thinks of Ace...you might learn something...

I've gone to plenty of shows at both VC and Nissan.. I'll take Nissan any day.. Arenas in general are not experiences I enjoy...the one in Baltimore might be the exception cause its a bit smaller....seeing the Stones there in 2006 was great.. smallest venue they played that tour.... also Jack Fest was cool.... but Verizon Center? I can't think of anything that great there...

Space Freely

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 11:22:15 am »
Well at least now I'll have something to talk about when I meet Mike McReady, whoever he is.

hutch

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 11:24:41 am »
Well at least now I'll have something to talk about when I meet Mike McReady, whoever he is.

so you hang out on Pearl Jam thread and dont' know who Mike McCready is? Come to think of it you don't know anything about music other than the Old 97s and never actually talk about music.. and if anyone goes to a show you complain about them spending money on themselves instead of putting it in their wonderful best kid ever college fund..

Since this is a music board were we talk about music that would make you a TROLL.

Space Freely

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 11:50:22 am »

so you hang out on Pearl Jam thread and dont' know who Mike McCready is? Come to think of it you don't know anything about music other than the Old 97s and never actually talk about music.. and if anyone goes to a show you complain about them spending money on themselves instead of putting it in their wonderful best kid ever college fund..

Since this is a music board were we talk about music that would make you a TROLL.

12,000+ songs on my ipod, and many more cd's (and lp's and cassettes) that I never bothered to put on my ipod. And the only band that I know anything about is Old 97's. LOL.

I went to the Robbie Fulks show Saturday night. It was awesome. He really is one of the best American songwriters and performers we have, and not that many seem to realize it. Anybody else go?

I also saw They Might Be Giants at the Science Festival Saturday. They were pretty good, but it was highly annoying when, right after they did a good job of keeping the aisles cleared and first come first served seating (we were in the middle, got our seats maybe 20 mins before showtime), the fat John starts yelling for everyone to rush the stage and get closer and clog up all the aisles and be a fire hazzard and possibly stand in front of those who had waited the longest for their choice seats (not us).

Does this post get the Hutch seal of approval? Frankly, I think it's boring and wisecracks are more fun.