Author Topic: For all you old farts ...  (Read 17223 times)

bearman🐻

Re: For all you old farts ...
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2021, 12:53:09 pm »
I am more than willing to respect people's tastes, and I am sure I am guilty of having offended people before with my own...but Phil Collins is 100% utter crap. It is music for secretaries who have crushes on their married bosses, then gossip about it by the water cooler. Or even worse, music for lovesick people who actually want to hear elevator music and then will whistle along to it.

I just figure why eat at McDonald's and listen to Phil Collins when you can break free from the masses who embrace mediocrity and don't question what else might be out there. Unless of course you see what's out there and decide that you genuinely like his music...then more power to you.
Dang 2005 Bearman didn't really like Phil Collins

We now know Hutch's occupation.

Haha...wow...I'm trying to remember why I felt the need to post that...other than I think I saw some interview with him where he came across as really odious. Every now and then one of his songs will come on and it just puts me in a rotten mood. That being said t don't feel the need to rant about too much. Maybe I'm mellowing in my old age...

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2021, 01:00:00 pm »
As a person whose wife required about 15 stitches in her foot because of an electric scooter ride and also broke her hand falling out of a hammock, both in the last 2 years, let me just say, we are all too fucking old to get back into skateboarding.
LVMH

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2021, 01:05:07 pm »
both my mom and my wife have forbidden me from getting on a skateboard again
...not sure that's going to stop me ;)
slack

vansmack

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2021, 01:07:21 pm »
Haha...wow...I'm trying to remember why I felt the need to post that...other than I think I saw some interview with him where he came across as really odious. Every now and then one of his songs will come on and it just puts me in a rotten mood. That being said t don't feel the need to rant about too much. Maybe I'm mellowing in my old age...

Funny.  I absolutely remember making my comment and Markie and I arguing about it all the time.  Every conversation about music would end with "well, you think Phil Collins is a great songwriter so what the hell do you know?"  So I would of course walk right over to the jukebox and play a Phil Collins song just to piss him off.  Sorry?
27>34

Space Freely

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2021, 01:48:54 pm »
To the over-30 crowd: What's the saddest way you've injured yourself? I leaned my head back to wet my hair in the shower and pulled a muscle in my neck.

https://twitter.com/hanalyst/status/1392919241628655617

I had never broken a bone in my life until about ten years ago. In the past ten or so years, I've:

1. Broken a rib in a bicycle accident.
2. Broken a vertebrae in a sledding accident
3. Broken a collar bone in a second bicycle accident
4. While running, numerous times I've tripped on tree roots/rocks/uneven sidewalks and fallen, causing scrapes and abrasion on various parts of my body.

I'm not sure that any of those are "sad," but I felt in sad shape after at least the first three in the list.

I really don't understand the love for Phil Collins. Especially on a music board populated by music snobs. From Genesis to especially his solo stuff, I've always thought he was horrible, just horrible.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2021, 01:52:03 pm »
I def have a picture of me in helmet with Lester Kasai holding up our matching Lester Kasai custom boards from 1986 probably?

my first board was a blue Lance Mountain... great plank.  i ended up getting another one not because the lance was done, but because of peer pressure: everyone else was getting new boards so i didn't want to be the only guy still on his first one.  never found one as good.  life lesson.

we didn't have skate parks or very ramps around back then.  looking at all the cool skate parks around now, including one in my little town, i sometimes fantasize about getting a deck and some pads.  haven't voiced this aloud, so the missus hasn't yet berated me for even considering it.

as far as i know i have never broken a bone in my life, but every incident when i came closest to snapping a bone was related to skating.

Every conversation about music would end with "well, you think Phil Collins is a great songwriter so what the hell do you know?"  So I would of course walk right over to the jukebox and play a Phil Collins song just to piss him off.  Sorry?

definitely not sorry.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 01:54:10 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2021, 02:02:55 pm »
my first board was a blue Lance Mountain... great plank.
that was a great deck, my buddy had it, so couldn't really copy him

jez beat up used ones are selling for over $300
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164790704081?hash=item265e4a97d1:g:J0UAAOSw8-lgZPR1

I gotta imagine people are paying for this stuff...but $1000 for this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265089687921?hash=item3db893a171:g:ycUAAOSwfeJgT9za
yikes

Jez they even make one for Julians America
https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product/manufacture-de-boucleries-skateboard-H5061247v00/
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 02:08:39 pm by Bamboo-Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2021, 02:19:57 pm »
jez beat up used ones are selling for over $300
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164790704081?hash=item265e4a97d1:g:J0UAAOSw8-lgZPR1

I gotta imagine people are paying for this stuff...but $1000 for this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265089687921?hash=item3db893a171:g:ycUAAOSwfeJgT9za

well, i'd counter that they aren't selling at those prices - those are the prices being asked.  TBD is anyone is silly enough to actually pay that much.

sorta like seeing in-demand tickets for thousands of dollars on reseller sites... just because someone is asking that much doesn't mean they're going to get it.

EDIT: i just checked "completed listings" - folks are indeed paying over $300 for used decks.  sheesh.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2021, 02:39:10 pm »
I only had two boards - the OG Kamakazi board your parents bought that was cheap to see if you were going to stick with skating and then this Tracker board:

I never got rid of it because (1) Lester signed it and (2) the grip tape was two color (pink and black), cut into "T"s, alternating up and down across the deck.  It looked AMAZING...
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2021, 02:47:54 pm »
as far as i know i have never broken a bone in my life, but every incident when i came closest to snapping a bone was related to skating.

I've broken an ankle and an index finger (basketball), a wrist (football), a thumb (baseball*).  All sports related.  But all the scars on my knees and elbows are from skating.

*batting cages actually, drunk off my ass after wine tasting in Sonoma with Venerable. In my thirties.
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2021, 02:53:37 pm »
all the scars on my knees
WalkieBait
LVMH