Author Topic: Official Ebay Thread  (Read 3912 times)

hutch

Official Ebay Thread
« on: August 14, 2016, 05:11:07 pm »
so I been listening to Jamaican music.. I would have liked to own this record.. but I cannot believe what people pay for them.. this one comes with NO COVER.. and as the ad says "plays with the odd pop and click"... its a Jamaican pressing which of course is kind of cool except they tend to be very poorly pressed and sound can be dodgy

and yet someone paid a boatload of money for it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401166835382?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

hutch

Re: Official Ebay Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 07:29:55 pm »
this auction seems even crazier... it is unclear what people were bidding on although i'm sure its a very rare early prince buster 45... still, damn.. I wish I had that kind of cash lying around to throw on a Jamaican 45...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLANK-P-B-THE-BADDEST-PRINCE-BUSTER-NOT-CLEAR-MATRIX-REGGAE-7-/302018029919?hash=item4651ad695f%3Ag%3AGiwAAOSwj2dXjYga&nma=true&si=5aUzLEXn%252FIuIyrwzGFoNDPo0au4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Yada

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 08:55:24 pm »
Seems like this should fall into the vinyl thread, thanks hutch.

Space Freely

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 09:01:07 pm »
My mom gave my wife an ebay gift card for her birthday and my wife doesn't even use ebay.

hutch

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 09:23:48 pm »
My mom gave my wife an ebay gift card for her birthday and my wife doesn't even use ebay.

that is one crazy gift..probably a regift... ;D

Space Freely

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 09:35:41 pm »

that is one crazy gift..probably a regift... ;D

Could be. In the same package, I got the amazon gift card and my daughter got the toy r us.

Gift cards go unused to the tune of...well i can't remember the figure but it's staggering.

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 09:41:58 pm »
it is odd how gift cards have replaced cash as a gift, but really the same thing...with conditions
people should just go back to cash (even checks, while so 20th century, are ok)
slack

hutch

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 10:06:25 pm »
it is odd how gift cards have replaced cash as a gift, but really the same thing...with conditions

both cash and gift cards are really pathetic gifts... i mean what is the point? you give me $50, I give you $50??? we call it even? this is idiotic... a great example of "american exceptionalism"...

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 10:11:00 pm »
both cash and gift cards are really pathetic gifts...
not disputing that...although, kinda feel amongst family that is a little OK...as I really don't need a polo I won't wear
but gift cards should just be eliminated, just a lame gift...but a little lamer

slack

hutch

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 10:20:36 pm »
both cash and gift cards are really pathetic gifts...
not disputing that...although, kinda feel amongst family that is a little OK...as I really don't need a polo I won't wear
but gift cards should just be eliminated, just a lame gift...but a little lamer

i'm pretty intolerant on this subject i guess...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 07:24:52 am by Michael Hutchinson Jenks »

evilizac

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 09:25:07 am »
I've always thought that gift cards were supposed to be used to pretend you know something personal about someone (i.e. oh Little Susie likes books, thank goodness I saw this display next to the checkout line at Safeway with this awesome Amazon gift card, now I don't have to actually care and spend time pretending to invest brainpower in caring about my niece. . . or anyone else). I did re-gift a Subway gift card to a homeless guy in Baltimore once. 
WHAT?

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 09:50:47 am »
I'm of two minds about gift cards. I sort of agree with Hutch's view that they're sort of a lame, I put no thought into this gift. They're definitely inappropriate and total cheese in a lot of situations. Like, if you give your significant other a gift card for your anniversary, that's so insulting.

But for other people I'm not super close to, I'm OK with a gift card. My aunt and uncle I see every 2-3 years, yeah, I get that they probably don't know exactly what my hobbies are and what I might need or whatever. So instead of buying me something that there's a very small percentage chance I can use, a gift card seems like a practical middle-ground.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 09:51:58 am »
per evilzac point: which is why I prefer gift cards to cash... if used properly.. for example if someone got me a gift card to a record store I'd be like "Gee, this person knows I love records and bought me a gift card for that purpose.."

Yes its gauche but nowhere near as bad as getting a few $20 bills or a check!

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 09:58:27 am »
Yes its gauche but nowhere near as bad as getting a few $20 bills or a check!
I agree wholeheartedly. Giving cash as a gift is right up there with separate checks at a restaurant as far as pure unadulterated cretin-ness.
LVMH

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 07:26:53 pm »
I did re-gift a Subway gift card to a homeless guy in Baltimore once. 
best use of a gift card I've ever seen :)

I got a few itunes cards from work parties/relatives
I was able to sell them for 75cents on the dollar on craigs list
just gave them the code and they paypaled the money...worked out great

now a gift card for a blow job....hmmm then you might have something

I get that they probably don't know exactly what my hobbies are and what I might need
I think they should be thankful they don't know that information
slack