Author Topic: Official 930 Club COLONOSCOPY thread  (Read 44555 times)

Yada

Re: Official 930 Club COLONOSCOPY thread
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2021, 11:58:13 am »
I've had like 10, and yes the prep is still the worst part, but there are ways to make it better:

(1) Get a Toto, warm the seat, wash the bum.  Life changing.
(2) Sit on the pot with your feet raised.  Anything that will keep your feet raised about a foot above the ground (and keeps your knees above your waist) will be more comfortable and easier to flow.
(3) If you have to drink the liquid prep, keep the liquid in a cooler or ice bucket next to you, and only pour enough that you will drink at a time.  The colder the liquid, the easier it will go down.
(4) Binge-watch something while you're on the pot - grab a tablet or laptop and watch something you're really into.  You'll be shocked how fast time will fly by.

I find warmer liquid easier to chug, but that's just me...

10!
jez, do you get a badge for that?
Is your next one free

don't you do these at some sort of clinic/dr's office...how do you get the toto in there?

I'm a big fan of the bidet, added one to my toilet and it really was life-changing, I'm not joking
cost $99   and I was able to install (meaning easy and limited tools)
I don't have the warm water, but I can deal and the seat isn't heated

I think the feet raised thing is recommended daily too

Oh look at you mr. fancy shit pants!!!

« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2021, 12:05:22 pm »
I think it has more to do with the taste, that's why they serve crappy beer really cold, not the chugablity
slack

vansmack

« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2021, 12:24:32 pm »

GoLytely changes viscosity and taste as it warms.  I find it doesn't taste bad when it's cold and is much more fluid.  As it warms it becomes more syrupy and harder to drink in my experience.

Otherwise, yes, I prefer warmer drinks to chug.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2021, 12:27:38 pm »
don't you do these at some sort of clinic/dr's office...how do you get the toto in there?

The procedure is at the hospital, yes, but all of the prep is at home.  You drink a gallon of liquid that flows right through you about 12-16 hours before your procedure (although the last time I did it was 2/3 the night before and 1/3 morning of which was a nice change).
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2021, 12:31:42 pm »
10!
Is your next one free

I was diagnosed with Crohns and Colitis about a decade ago and was getting the procedure done annually.  However, my most recent colonoscopy revealed that I am currently in 100% full remission so I don't have to get one in 2021.  Kind of the best news from Covid-days....   

Absolutely.  I use my daughters step-stool for washing her hands on the daily.... 
27>34

« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2021, 12:38:03 pm »
was getting the procedure done annually.analy 
FTFY

and great news on the remission!
Should have good in the Good news thread
slack

Yada

« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2021, 02:12:28 pm »
10!
Is your next one free

I was diagnosed with Crohns and Colitis about a decade ago and was getting the procedure done annually.  However, my most recent colonoscopy revealed that I am currently in 100% full remission so I don't have to get one in 2021.  Kind of the best news from Covid-days....   

Absolutely.  I use my daughters step-stool for washing her hands on the daily....

Damn... sorry to hear about your GI issues.... I have my own, but not that bad.... yet.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2021, 02:21:55 pm »
most rock and roll thread evah?
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2021, 02:30:49 pm »
As I recall I started this as a mock thread of the non rock and roll aspects of the board

It has come back to bite me in the...

« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2021, 03:09:33 pm »
This thread . . . hits me, right in my he-cunt.

Beat, that.
there was this gem in here
slack

vansmack

« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2021, 03:10:23 pm »

Damn... sorry to hear about your GI issues.... I have my own, but not that bad.... yet.

Thanks.  It's all good though.  My diagnosis explained a lot about what was going on, got me in better shape than I had been in since my teenage years (until the baby came) and introduced me to my wife.  Hell, I even drink kombucha now (as long it includes alcohol).  So long as I down pass it on to the kiddo, a minor blip at this point. 
27>34

Yada

« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2021, 03:33:17 pm »

Thanks.  It's all good though.  My diagnosis explained a lot about what was going on, got me in better shape than I had been in since my teenage years (until the baby came) and introduced me to my wife.  Hell, I even drink kombucha now (as long it includes alcohol).  So long as I down pass it on to the kiddo, a minor blip at this point.

Curious how much you've changed your diet, etc.? Any triggers that have caused you problems in the past; stress, drinking too much, a big cheese steak?

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2021, 04:11:45 pm »
My god...what is this board coming to?  I think we need a boardie death pool thread.

vansmack

« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2021, 05:43:39 pm »
Curious how much you've changed your diet, etc.? Any triggers that have caused you problems in the past; stress, drinking too much, a big cheese steak?

For the first six months after my diagnosis, I kept a diary of everything I ate and drank and recorded any pain it caused and how it impacted my bowel movements.  This revealed that nuts, corn, and some of the microbrews, particularly in draft form and in particular wheat beers, caused problems.  I was pretty diligent about it with times, quantity etc.  It also revealed that some rye alcohol also caused problems, but not as serious.

Knowing all of this, I eliminated these from my diet, and pick and choose my moments when I break the rules, knowing full well the consequences.  Only in the last two years have I really started to drink draft microbrews again and haven't had the same reactions as I used to. 

The only other things I'm still working on is travel.  No idea why but flying, in particular with time changes, seems to cause a reaction, usually after about 48 hours in.  It's been bizarre and always happens at the worst times, but it's 3-4 hours midday of "crohns fatigue" nearly every trip.  Still can't figure it out, especially as I used to work internationally and had no troubles travelling.     

27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2021, 06:02:18 pm »
and some of the microbrews, particularly in draft form and in particular wheat beers, caused problems.

hypothesis: it's the yeast that was causing you distress.  big macro brewers filter out the yeast so those wouldn't bother your GI, whereas craft breweries almost never filter (or if they do, not to the extent that BMC do).  wheat beers in particular contain more yeast in suspension than other styles, it's what gives them their cloudy look (and also contributes to their taste).

yeast can make it through the digestive system relatively unscathed - in many folks, this leads to gas (if someone's homebrew makes you fart, tell them to take steps to leave more of the yeast behind - ping me for methods).  perhaps it was the yeast that was was irritating your lower tract?
<sig>