Author Topic: Is that a hydrometer in your pocket or are you just happy to see me  (Read 47829 times)

Re: Is that a hydrometer in your pocket or are you just happy to see me
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2019, 08:35:57 am »
good stuff man...knew I came to the right place
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2019, 02:12:22 pm »
in case anyone is looking for a kettle: this 14 gallon badboy is on sale today, $120 (instead of $150) with coupon code "BEERDEAL".  this is their deal-of-the-day, limited quantities, so jump on it not now, but RIGHT NOW.  great value.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2019, 02:21:07 pm »
What is your opinion of the BrewJacket could help a lot during fermentation

if you need both heating and cooling, brewjacket is an excellent investment.  i was about to purchase some myself, until i figured out that i don't need cooling (my basement is a large walk-in fridge, year-round).  will definitely improve your beer.  an issue to keep in mind is that the brewjacket isn't compatible with all fermentors - glass carboys are a no-go.

sidehatch, if you're serious about the brewjacket, here's a very rare opportunity to save:

"As of this posting AHS is discounting most orders based on order size. Spend $50, get $10 off. Spend $150, get $30 off. Spend $250, get $50 off.  No coupon code is required, savings will be automatically reflected at checkout.  The BrewJacket qualifies for the full $50 off."

brewjackets never go on sale, it's one of those deals where the manufacturer makes retailers all sell at the same set price.  as i said, i seriously considered these devices and tracked their price for a while - never saw a sale.

another AHS deal to jump in is their Cereal Killer grain mill, if you're looking to get into all-grain. 
<sig>

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2019, 02:21:20 pm »
see this is why I'm broke...I let impulse take my credit card and swipe away
but free shipping and that beerdeal coupon made it feel like an offer I couldn't refuse

I've been looking for a decent kettle for a while....so this was coming regardless
slack

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2019, 02:30:46 pm »
"As of this posting AHS is discounting most orders based on order sizeThe BrewJacket qualifies for the full $50 off."
Welp...I had a $500 budget...and I pretty much just blew it
Hope I actually start brewing again!

the LHBS by me has a grain mill you can use after you buy your grain...

Damn you Sweets!
slack

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2019, 02:58:43 pm »
so..the Anvil fermetor...not out of the box compatible with brewjacket ;(

They make a lid for the SS one
https://brewjacket.com/collections/immersion-pro-for-flat-bottomed-fermenters/products/ss-brewing-technologies-flat-lid-7-gallons

So think I'm going to go with the
Big Mouth Bubbler® EVO 2 - Siphonless 6.5 Gallon Glass Fermentor
Brewjacket makes one that works with the Glass one

https://brewjacket.com/products/big-mouth-bubbler-lid-universal-glass-and-plastic

that anvil one was sexy tho...

So all said and done....
Brewmaster Brewing Kettle - 14 Gallon
Big Mouth Bubbler® EVO 2 - Siphonless 6.5 Gallon Glass Fermentor  (w/ carrying harness)
The BrewJacket Immersion Pro Temperature Control System  (w/insulator for carboy)
Big Mouth Bubbler adapter from BJ

I had a $500 budget on this project...came in at $465....almost enough to by one batch of grain and hops for 5 gallon batch
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 03:59:52 pm by Sïdehätch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2019, 08:13:33 pm »
see this is why I'm broke...I let impulse take my credit card and swipe away
but free shipping and that beerdeal coupon made it feel like an offer I couldn't refuse

I've been looking for a decent kettle for a while....so this was coming regardless

you got a great deal on that kettle.  at it's full price it's a good deal.  and with a little help from FermCap, you can do 10 gallon batches.

the LHBS by me has a grain mill you can use after you buy your grain...

if you want to drive down the cost of a batch, you buy your grains in bulk (50 or 55 lbs sacks).  you can pay well below $1 for basic base malts, fancy stuff like marris otter might cost you ~$1.40.  to do that, you need your own mill, and enough space to store the grain.

easy savings to get into are bulk hops (source1, source2, source3, plenty of others).  use a vacuum sealer (which you already have for sous vide, right?) to store them without air, and keep in freezer.

so..the Anvil fermetor...not out of the box compatible with brewjacket ;(

sucks indeed.  i have a neighbor who's a metalsmith, he's got a damn foundry in his shed.  he had offered to cut my anvil tops while i was still considering the BJ.  ended up going the heat-only route.

Damn you Sweets!

just tryin' to help.

happy brewing, you definitely stepped up your equipment!
<sig>

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2019, 12:50:18 pm »
top 3 priorities should be: sanitation, temp control and pitch rate.  i assume you have sanitation under control (all hail Star San), and you're working on temp control, so next up is pitch rate - which means getting an erlenmeyer flask and a stir plate.  then use a pitch rate calculator.
So I'd like to work on my pitch....

What is your opinion of these fast pitch options?

Been hearing good things on quality, time savings and cost
So can I do this with out and Flask and stir plate? (eventually, I'll get there)

Can't I just put it in a sanitized container and then just give it a good shake it for 5 mins?
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2019, 12:55:32 pm »
I still think more people have a problem hitting a good slider, to be honest.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2019, 05:31:39 pm »
So I'd like to work on my pitch....

Been hearing good things on quality, time savings and cost

i haven't used those, but
- quality: they look good.  be sure to sanitize the tops before popping 'em open so you only get the goodness inside.
- time savings: definitely.  between boiling and then cooling my own starter liquid, it can take 30 minutes or more (but i multitask, it's not 30+ minutes of constant work.  i will typically cook dinner or wash the dishes while making a starter).
- cost: eh, doesn't win this one.  looks like these cans come in at $13/4-pack, and allow you to make 4 liters of starter.  for the same price,  you can buy DME to make 15 liters (or more, if you buy it in bulk).

depending how often you brew, what your budget is, and how valuable your time is, these things can (!) make a lot of sense.

you need to add sterilized water to these cans (i wouldn't use direct from the tap).  cheap solution: if you have an electric kettle, put half a liter of water in there, boil it in advance, let it cool, mix with room-temp can, and boom.

So can I do this with out and Flask and stir plate? (eventually, I'll get there)

Can't I just put it in a sanitized container and then just give it a good shake it for 5 mins?

yes indeed, you can do that.  a step up would be the "intermittent shaking" method: shake it as often as you can (not just the first 5 minutes, but ideally many times, say once an hour, the more the better).  i have an old growler that i use for this method when my stir plates are full.  everyone in the house knows the drill: if the growler is on the kitchen counter, pick it up and give it a shake every time you walk on by.

the more you shake/agitate the starter, the more cell growth you'll get.  on that pitch rate calculator, there is a drop-down for Method of Aeration: none, intermittent, and stir-plate.  you'll note how when you shift between these methods, you'll get more cells for the same amount of starter.  essentially, shaking makes you more efficient, and stir plates are the most efficient (since it's continuous stirring).

so stir plate = need less starter.  depending on the beer and the age of the yeast, you might need more than one can to get the right cell count.  so you can save money by making sure your yeast is fresh = need less starter.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2019, 05:32:09 pm »
I still think more people have a problem hitting a good slider, to be honest.

i generally try not to encourage such outbursts, but that gave me a chuckle.
<sig>

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2019, 04:36:16 pm »
this 14 gallon badboy
So since I'm using the brewjacket to cool my wort to optimum pitch temp

can I just use the  1/2" Full Port Ball Valve & nipple for bottom Coupler with some tubing into my Fermentation bucket?
seem like a simple no mess solution
maybe pick up one of these

Also I have a nice digital Thermapen...should I just skip a thermometer in that top port?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 04:39:53 pm by Sïdehätch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2019, 07:05:03 pm »
this 14 gallon badboy
So since I'm using the brewjacket to cool my wort to optimum pitch temp

can I just use the  1/2" Full Port Ball Valve & nipple for bottom Coupler with some tubing into my Fermentation bucket?
seem like a simple no mess solution

if your plan is to turn off the burner and transfer near-boiling wort into your glass fermetor, the answer is a firm NO.  boiling liquid + room-temp glass = shattered glass.  you need to cool that wort until you're at least close to pitching temps.  asking the brewjacket to do all that cooling would require many hours...

make yourself an immersion chiller with some copper pipe.

maybe pick up one of these

you certainly could, but what are you hoping to do with it? kettle valve screens (bazooka filter) are generally used in mash tuns, to separate the grain from the wort.  if you use whole leaf hops, then that thing will filter out a good portion of the hop leaves.  if you use pellets, then that thing will be mostly useless - hop pellets disintegrate into fine particles, they'll straight through that thing.  and it won't prevent break material from making it into your kettle.  and ideally, you want to leave the hops and break material in the kettle.  look up "whirlpooling" (essentially after you've cooled the wort, you mix it up as fast as you can to get it spinning, put a lid on the pot and let it be for 15+ minutes.  all the gunk in the kettle should form a cone in the center of the kettle.  drain kettle from the edge, where there is no gunk, with a valve or auto-siphon).

Also I have a nice digital Thermapen...should I just skip a thermometer in that top port?

yup, you certainly could.  personally, i like having a permanent thermo on the kettle: temp info is always available, no need to whip out the thermapen from your pocket, or worry if the thermapen is sanitized (if wort isn't hot, like during chilling), etc.  it's a nice convenience. 

what are you using as a mash tun?  or are you BIAB'ing?
<sig>

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2019, 11:34:43 pm »
this 14 gallon badboy

if your plan is to turn off the burner and transfer near-boiling wort into your glass fermetor, the answer is a firm NO.  boiling liquid + room-temp glass = shattered glass.  you need to cool that wort until you're at least close to pitching temps.  asking the brewjacket to do all that cooling would require many hours...

Ok...glad I asked.  I thought part of the point of the brewjacket was not needing and immersion cooler.  But hot liquid->glass=danger makes sense.  Guess that's an advantage the Anvil has.
So leave on stove for 30-45 mins with the top on and keep and eye on the temp gauge so when it gets below 90ish I can transfer.  Then set the brew jacket to the desired temp and come back a few hours/a day later to pitch
[/quote]
what are you using as a mash tun?  or are you BIAB'ing?
Don't judge, but went straight extract kit/dry yeast packet for this first brew
wanted to get a feel for all the equipment

Already finding out weird things that I need to be prepared for brew day
The brewjacket should be sanitized in an iodine based sanitizer...so no star-san
can ruin the element

Once I feel comfortable, I'll be BAIB'ing for a while
I'm not ready to set up the mash tun and such yet
I know that is the advantage of the two ports on the kettle...but for now I'm trying a little to future proof my equipment

On that note.  I got the Big Mouth Bubbler with the spigiot at the bottome
Didn't think about how that's kind of a liability in the brewjacket

I was thinking that I could easily take it from the fermentor to a sanizied brew kettle to add the priming sugars
then use the ball valve to connect a tube to bottle
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2019, 12:46:59 am »
Ok...glad I asked.  I thought part of the point of the brewjacket was not needing and immersion cooler. 

no, the brewjacket isn't meant to cool from 212 down to 68... i'd be afraid of blowing it due to the demand (thing would have to run on max for hours and hours).  it's meant to keep the beer at a desired temp, but only once you're already there (or close).

Guess that's an advantage the Anvil has.

i suppose one could do that... but i wouldn't.  when you cool wort quickly, you get something called the cold break: proteins that coagulate and form a sludge.  there are differing opinions about how desirable it is to not transfer the break material (there is also hot break, which forms when you first hit boiling), personally i prefer to leave it behind.  what i definitely don't want is hop material in my fermenter (at least not until i dry-hop) because leaving plant matter in your beer for the duration of fermentation can result in vegetal, grassy flavors.  if you transfer hot wort, break material and the hops will end up in your fermenter.  by cooling in the kettle, you allow the break material and hops to fall out.

So leave on stove for 30-45 mins with the top on and keep and eye on the temp gauge so when it gets below 90ish I can transfer.  Then set the brew jacket to the desired temp and come back a few hours/a day later to pitch

you can get slightly faster cooling by leaving the top off until you get to around 140*F.  until then, you have little risk. 

just leaving the pot on the stove to cool in the air is likely to take overnight.  not sure how viable that is...

something i did was to carry the pot to the bathroom and put it in a tub filled with cold water.  obviously you need to be very, very careful when carrying a pot with 5-6 gallons of recently boiled liquid, and it's pretty heavy (around 60 lbs in my case) but it really cuts down on the cooling time.  i would dump out the first tub-full of water once it absorbed all the heat and refill with fresh cold water, sometimes adding ice to the second bath.

a buddy of mine would take half-gallon milk or OJ cartons, clean the hell outta them, sanitize, then fill with previously boiled water, and freeze to make a giant ice cube.  he would then carefully cut open the carton and dump in the ice cube.  you need to modify you recipe/process a big to accommodate that extra half or full gallon of water you're adding at the end.

but really, an immersion chiller that you hook up to your sink or garden spigot is the way to go.

Don't judge, but went straight extract kit/dry yeast packet for this first brew
wanted to get a feel for all the equipment

do0d, that's exactly what you should be doing.  if you're figuring with new equipment, you don't want to deal with anything else.  simplifying ingredients/recipe is a pro move.  congrats!

Once I feel comfortable, I'll be BAIB'ing for a while
I'm not ready to set up the mash tun and such yet
I know that is the advantage of the two ports on the kettle...

sorry, i don't quite follow the "advantage of the two ports"... please explain :)

but for now I'm trying a little to future proof my equipment

you'll thank yourself later.  trust me.

On that note.  I got the Big Mouth Bubbler with the spigiot at the bottome
Didn't think about how that's kind of a liability in the brewjacket

how is it a liability?  does it get in the way of the BJ?

I was thinking that I could easily take it from the fermentor to a sanizied brew kettle to add the priming sugars
then use the ball valve to connect a tube to bottle

that's a great idea, never thought of using a kettle for bottling!

i highly recommend getting a bottling wand.  makes bottling soooo much easier.  you might need to mcguyver some way to attach it to your spigot.
<sig>