Author Topic: The Anthem  (Read 258370 times)

gavroche

Re: The Anthem
« Reply #555 on: October 09, 2017, 09:40:07 am »
Hasn't really been part of anyone's comments yet so I'll presume the answer is "no, but it was fine".

How late did people stay?

The show was fun; very much a tribute to DC's past; but you don't need to go to the anthem to see any of those bands.  Seth said that Bob Boilen was the first band to play both 9:30 clubs.  To be fair to Julien he only said one of the two nights was amazing and it would be markedly better than the other. 

Opened with Bob Boilen's band Danger Painter who I enjoyed.  Had kind of a gothic thing going on but it was a huge space for them and a lot of people were talking.

Second band was BatFangs.  They have the guitarist from ExHex and a drummer.  They had a guest bassist as well.  Consensus is that they were the best of the night.

Closing was the Messthetics which was Joe and Brendan from Fugazi plus a guitarist.  Totally instrumental.  Not bad, but it cleared out by the end.

Kid Congo Powers and Ian Svenonius were DJing at the beginning and the end from the stage. 

I saw the whole thing and got to my car by 11:00.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:47:55 am by gavroche »

hutch

« Reply #556 on: October 09, 2017, 09:44:43 am »
Bat Fangs was really good...I thought...

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #557 on: October 09, 2017, 09:52:03 am »
Pretty awesome night and we in DC are so lucky to have guys like Seth building and running epic venues.

The place is beautiful and looks small for as large as it is.

A few hangups:
On the second and third floors, can't use the men's room if you can't find it. One of the entrance's had an employee standing out front with a flash light, ostensibly to serve as the light for the sign.
The faucets in the mens room barely worked. This is the most irritating feature of the 21st century: Insistence on automatic faucets.
One guy at one of the bars on the first level kept screwing up my beer order. How do you screw up Pacifico?
No beer prices listed anywhere. List your beer prices.
Finally, I know this is the trend, but I don't like the Anthem going to credit card only. Accept cash.

In general the neighborhood needs to improve pedestrian accomodations, like widening the sidewalk and simplifying the crosswalks at 9 and Maine. That part of SW is about to have 10,000 more people down there on a regular basis and the pedestrian infrastructure was built for 1/4 that.

All in all, nice job, thanks for letting us visit!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #558 on: October 09, 2017, 10:23:14 am »
An absolutely world-class venue. Reminded me a little bit of the Moody Theater in Austin (where ACL tapes), but hard to draw comparisons.

Plenty of nits, including the food ordering and soap dispensers (it looked like someone just busted one of them open at some point in the evening to try to get to that sweet, sweet hand soap). I really liked the standing-room only section on the second floor behind the seated area, but the small stairs separating the "rows" in that area are not lighted and a real hazard. I have no idea how they're going to process 6,000+ people every night - it took us 45 minutes (from 7 pm to 7:45 pm) to move through the line.

It was really fun to be involved in the opening night.
(o|o)

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #559 on: October 09, 2017, 10:35:28 am »
Hasn't really been part of anyone's comments yet so I'll presume the answer is "no, but it was fine".

How late did people stay?

The show was fun; very much a tribute to DC's past; but you don't need to go to the anthem to see any of those bands.  Seth said that Bob Boilen was the first band to play both 9:30 clubs.  To be fair to Julien he only said one of the two nights was amazing and it would be markedly better than the other. 

Opened with Bob Boilen's band Danger Painter who I enjoyed.  Had kind of a gothic thing going on but it was a huge space for them and a lot of people were talking.

Second band was BatFangs.  They have the guitarist from ExHex and a drummer.  They had a guest bassist as well.  Consensus is that they were the best of the night.

Closing was the Messthetics which was Joe and Brendan from Fugazi plus a guitarist.  Totally instrumental.  Not bad, but it cleared out by the end.

Kid Congo Powers and Ian Svenonius were DJing at the beginning and the end from the stage. 

I saw the whole thing and got to my car by 11:00.

Bat Fangs' drummer is Laura from Flesh Wounds (who have backed up Mac from Superchunk on his solo tours)

Stayed to the end as well, 10:45ish.

Tomorrow is confirmed, Andrew WK, and I don't know who else.

ggw

« Reply #560 on: October 09, 2017, 10:38:19 am »
I must have driven around the block like ten times, but never spotted the valet.  Sad. 

Yada

« Reply #561 on: October 09, 2017, 11:09:07 am »
The pictures and feedback I've heard thus far makes me extremely excited for Tuesday evening. I'll be taking the fixed cost $7.99  Uber.

1. Who goes to a rock show to eat food? So who cares about their system or lack there of for ordering.
2. Are we really complaining about soap dispensers? Unless you drop a greasy growler at the show, I'm sure a little less soap won't hurt you.
3. Wifi in a venue? Who gives a shit!!!

Looking forward to it Seth!

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #562 on: October 09, 2017, 11:43:41 am »
I really liked the standing-room only section on the second floor behind the seated area, but the small stairs separating the "rows" in that area are not lighted and a real hazard.

YES!   You can't see the bottom of the stairs (black stairs leading to a black floor in an already dark room).  The rail ends before the stairs do, so you're not really expecting there to be more steps.  Quite dangerous.

The wifi seemed to turn-on halfway through the night. That was a huge help.  I assume there will be hand-driers at some point?  Rolls of paper towels on the sinks seemed a bit odd, when everything else was so nice.  I agree with whoever mentioned that the signs/doors for the bathrooms need to be lit better.  I'm also pretty sure that wasn't Budweiser coming out of the tap in the back of the room. Kind of a mixed-blessing there.

The Metro-based directions need a little work.  I walked out of the building and it wasn't clear where to go.

Loved the venue though.  Big, yet intimate.  Great sightlines. Sounded fine.  Beautiful space.  Looking forward to seeing some shows there.  Great time last night.  Thanks!

hutch

« Reply #563 on: October 09, 2017, 11:47:55 am »
Hey there are all kinds of people...food is always my last priority...It must be going on ten years since I ate at the 930...but for some people eating is a huge deal..and with earlier start times more people will be having "dinner" at show

But funny stuff yada and i am with you on this 100%

I do need hand soap though... :)

hutch

« Reply #564 on: October 09, 2017, 11:49:17 am »
I really liked the standing-room only section on the second floor behind the seated area, but the small stairs separating the "rows" in that area are not lighted and a real hazard.

YES!   You can't see the bottom of the stairs (black stairs leading to a black floor in an already dark room).  The rail ends before the stairs do, so you're not really expecting there to be more steps.  Quite dangerous.

The wifi seemed to turn-on halfway through the night. That was a huge help.  I assume there will be hand-driers at some point?  Rolls of paper towels on the sinks seemed a bit odd, when everything else was so nice.  I agree with whoever mentioned that the signs/doors for the bathrooms need to be lit better.  I'm also pretty sure that wasn't Budweiser coming out of the tap in the back of the room. Kind of a mixed-blessing there.

The Metro-based directions need a little work.  I walked out of the building and it wasn't clear where to go.

Loved the venue though.  Big, yet intimate.  Great sightlines. Sounded fine.  Beautiful space.  Looking forward to seeing some shows there.  Great time last night.  Thanks!

Budweiser what?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #565 on: October 09, 2017, 11:49:24 am »
what's the walk like between the metro and the joint?  I'll make a brief appearance on Tuesday....
T.Rex

« Reply #566 on: October 09, 2017, 11:49:34 am »
For a second, I thought you meant Ian McKay, and I was all like fugazi?!?
BTW...spotted Ian in the back with his red pork pie hat
slack

hutch

« Reply #567 on: October 09, 2017, 11:51:12 am »
what's the walk like between the metro and the joint?  I'll make a brief appearance on Tuesday....

From lenfant its 10-12 minutes at brisk pace but you got to know what you are doing

I understand eventually there may be an overpass for walkers that may shave a few minutes

Also i think there is a shuttle that operates or will from lenfant but dont know deets
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:52:59 am by hutch »

Got Haggis?

« Reply #568 on: October 09, 2017, 11:53:18 am »
Damn - if only Guy has been there

hutch

« Reply #569 on: October 09, 2017, 11:56:37 am »
Fugazi will never play an event that sells beer or have they ever?

The free tickets help...