Author Topic: March in DC  (Read 11636 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: March in DC
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 06:30:57 pm »
I'm in for a fiver, and volunteer to be designated driver.

Space Freely

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 11:23:00 am »
can't wait for March to come.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 11:45:36 am by Space Freely »

betao

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 01:35:33 pm »
What is Julian's fee for going to the Juggalo march? I mean, there isn't a ticket needed for this, is there?

I was very satisfied with his report on GwarBBQ a couple of years ago (though we didn't get to meet), and will contribute a dollar or two. I just want to know where my money is going, that's all.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 10:50:31 am »
What is Julian's fee for going to the Juggalo march?

I just want to know where my money is going, that's all.
People threw together around $120 for GwarBQ. I was thinking $200 for the Juggalo thing but I'm open to negotiations. We can all agree upon a charity before any money is raised. I believe I nominated the National Hopeline Network (1-800-SUICIDE) and Mott Children's Hospital before but I'm open to others.
LVMH

walkie,talkie

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 05:56:02 pm »
you really think the juggalo march is going to happen, now after all these other marches?  really?  like how many people will show?  100?  smoking weed on mall?  drinking fanyo on the steps of the Lincoln memorial?  tits out at the Vietnam memorial?  blowjobs from fat girls at the air an space museum?

whoop, whoop

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 06:08:38 pm »
I think what they're calling a march is really a performance at Jiffy Lube.  I doubt we're going to get juggalos clogging up I-66 for 30 miles...

bearman🐻

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 06:15:59 pm »
you really think the juggalo march is going to happen, now after all these other marches?  really?  like how many people will show?  100?  smoking weed on mall?  drinking fanyo on the steps of the Lincoln memorial?  tits out at the Vietnam memorial?  blowjobs from fat girls at the air an space museum?

whoop, whoop

I think it's easy to target Juggalos but at this juncture, everyone has a target on their back. Maybe we can get a cheap laugh at people in clown makeup, but this op-ed (link below) does a decent job of explaining why everyone has the right to protest. In this day and age where words meaning nothing, where lies are truth, where fake is real, protests actually mean something again because actions speak louder than words. Talk is pretty cheap these days, and nobody seems to be accountable for anything they say anymore. It would be short-sighted to dismiss a group of people that (if previous Juggalo gatherings indicate) could congregate into something much bigger than you'd even imagine. A huge 2-day free show (at the Lube, NOT on the Mall) with a bunch of different bands? You bet people will show up. Maybe it's not what you listen to, but this isn't the time to pull elitist attitudes about musical taste or make cracks that imply ICP's fans are uneducated. Maybe in the desire to congregate and party they'll learn something. I might also add that the rumor I'm hearing is we could see another executive order signed on Thursday, and it's anti-gay. Broadly written to appear as if it's protecting religion, but it goes so far to condone discrimination for employment, adoption, etc. So I don't think any of us are in a position to judge at this point.

Oh yeah, it's Faygo, not Fanyo.

http://time.com/4521464/insane-clown-posse-killer-clowns/

Yada

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 06:20:53 pm »

whoop, whoop

I think it's easy to target Juggalos but at this juncture, everyone has a target on their back. Maybe we can get a cheap laugh at people in clown makeup, but this op-ed (link below) does a decent job of explaining why everyone has the right to protest. In this day and age where words meaning nothing, where lies are truth, where fake is real, protests actually mean something again because actions speak louder than words. Talk is pretty cheap these days, and nobody seems to be accountable for anything they say anymore. It would be short-sighted to dismiss a group of people that (if previous Juggalo gatherings indicate) could congregate into something much bigger than you'd even imagine. A huge 2-day free show (at the Lube, NOT on the Mall) with a bunch of different bands? You bet people will show up. Maybe it's not what you listen to, but this isn't the time to pull elitist attitudes about musical taste or make cracks that imply ICP's fans are uneducated. Maybe in the desire to congregate and party they'll learn something. I might also add that the rumor I'm hearing is we could see another executive order signed on Thursday, and it's anti-gay. Broadly written to appear as if it's protecting religion, but it goes so far to condone discrimination for employment, adoption, etc. So I don't think any of us are in a position to judge at this point.

Oh yeah, it's Faygo, not Fanyo.

http://time.com/4521464/insane-clown-posse-killer-clowns/

walky just got bearman'd.

walkie,talkie

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 06:33:47 pm »
So hot . . . when bearman, tops me.

hutch

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 06:46:20 pm »
I'm thinking of going to DCA on Wed.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 10:00:28 am »
WILL YOU TWO JUST KISS ALREADY?
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 10:18:59 am »
WILL YOU TWO JUST KISS ALREADY?

I'm more of a hugger. Everyone is too germy lately though so I'd rather just keep it in the virtual realm.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:34:27 am by bearman »

walkie,talkie

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 12:04:40 pm »
my point about the juggalo march was really about by the time every person in this country gets their "march out of the system" done, about serious rights such a gay equality, women's rights, immigrant's rights . . . does icp really think people are going to care, beyond perhaps a hundred, ok maybe a thousand people show up, because, how many years ago, the fbi said they were a gang?  didn't they win a lawsuit?  the march is all the way in September for gosh sake.  will Trump even allow marches in DC by then?

sorry about the soda name mistake.  I still have not drank one.  and the stereotype comments were based on my studying the juggalo culture for years.  I'm obsessed.  I get the whole community of it and it does draw you in like a cult.  you want to go there and you want to see, to feel the freedom of it.  like a dead lot, like the way dave Matthews used to be.  and yes, I do poke fun at the brazenly openness of the most carnal sex laws thrown out the window that go on there. 

and . . . I like to hug.  you can grab the ass better, that way.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 12:22:23 pm »
this op-ed (link below) does a decent job of explaining why everyone has the right to protest. In this day and age where words meaning nothing, where lies are truth, where fake is real, protests actually mean something again because actions speak louder than words.

they do indeed speak louder, but i'm not convinced that spending a sunday walking around the mall with a sign is going to bring about the amount of change we need.  it's certainly a start, and we need to let those assholes know that we're upset, but if marching is all we do then i fear that it isn't enough.  and unfortunately, it can have the affect of giving people a sense of accomplishment, that they can return to the 'burbs, recycle their signs and all will be OK.

we need our politicians to stand up to this bullshit = make calls and write letters.  we need lawyers to fight these laws in court = donate to to the legal defense fund of your favorite causes (john oliver has a nice list here).  we need to support the investigative journalists who are going to shine a light on this cesspool = buy a subscription.  etc... marching accomplishes none of the above, other than maybe influencing some politicians.

Maybe it's not what you listen to, but this isn't the time to pull elitist attitudes about musical taste or make cracks that imply ICP's fans are uneducated. Maybe in the desire to congregate and party they'll learn something.

amen.  WaPo touched on this in the "Show no contempt" section of In Venezuela, we couldn?t stop Chávez. Don?t make the same mistakes we did.
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 12:26:07 pm »
Indivisible seems like a good resource for doing more than just marching.  Do you know of any other ways to stay informed / involved?