Author Topic: Breakout Band(s) of 2006?  (Read 11207 times)

Arlette

Re: Breakout Band(s) of 2006?
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2006, 12:25:00 pm »
Pitchfork totally trashed Morningwood yesterday.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/m/morningwood/morningwood.shtml

I agree with them only about 30% of the time, but with this one, they took the hammer and pounded the nail on the head.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2006, 06:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  im hoping the lovemakers will finally get their attention.  
One of smackettes favorites from 2005.  I just don't see it though. [/b]
was she able to see them at popscene or the fillmore (or any of the other places they probably played). im bummed i missed them and she wants revenge play in november  :(
HeyLa

Bags

« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2006, 03:16:00 pm »
From Entertainment Weekly on buzz Brit bands.  Discuss:

U.K. Corral[/i]

EW reveals the best British indie bands -- We tell you why the Arctic Monkeys, the Rakes, and four others are on the verge
 - by Leah Greenblatt  

For every warm pint of ale England produces, it serves up a new buzz band â?? and downs them just as fast. With this cheat sheet, we'll separate the good, the bad, and the NME-hyperbolized, and reveal, perhaps, a true Next Big Thing.

ARCTIC MONKEYS Sound Like Sexy, arch dance-punk, with a smattering of Strokes-gone-Cockney style. Early Claim to Fame They've topped the U.K. singles chart and picked a fight with the Kaiser Chiefs; insufferable, and we love them already. The Goods An iTunes-only EP, I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor (Domino), available now; currently untitled full-length slated for Feb. 21 release.

NOISETTES Sound Like High-drama, heavily syncopated swagger-and-sway rock, spearheaded by incandescent frontwoman Shingai Shoniwa. Early Claim to Fame Shoniwa's distinctive stage style; American tour dates with Bloc Party and the Kills. The Goods Three Moods of the Noisettes EP (Low Altitude) available now; an as-yet-untitled album due sometime next spring.

NINE BLACK ALPS Sound Like Frill-free yet tuneful high-speed rock & roll, more interested in blowing amps than reinventing the wheel. Early Claim to Fame Garnering (some would say undeserved) comparisons to Nirvana; a recent tour with American up-and-comers Giant Drag. The Goods Self-titled EP available now on Tiny Evil; full-length Everything Is scheduled for late January/early February 2006.

THE RAKES Sound Like Butched-up Franzy-come-latelys with punchy, anthemic choruses and strict working-class mien. Early Claim to Fame Two hit singles in the U.K. (''Retreat'' and ''22 Grand Job'') and their attendant cheeky videos; contribution to the Gang of Four remix album. The Goods Current EP Retreat (Dim Mak), a U.K. album Capture/ Release (V2), and a new album due out this summer.

THE EDITORS Sound Like Dark, pensive, hooky; in other words, a lot like Interpol. A British band imitating an American band that sounds like several British bands? Yes! Early Claim to Fame Two very catchy singles, ''Bullets'' and ''Munich''; several well-received U.S. showcases. The Goods Back Room (Kitchenware) available now as an import; domestic release expected in April 2006.

ART BRUT Sound Like Sex Pistols snark, Spinal Tap silliness, and post-everything satire, with chords as few and fast as possible. Early Claim to Fame Clever, meta-rock lyrics; picking fights with both Bloc Party and Pete Doherty. The Goods Import Bang Bang Rock & Roll out on Fierce Panda; still unsigned over here, but just finished a round of high-profile U.S. tour dates.

(Posted:11/18/05)

Bags

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2006, 11:09:00 am »
January 14, 2006

Rock Review | Morningwood and We Are Scientists
 Two Bands With One Message: Let's Dance[/b]

By KELEFA SANNEH, New York Times

Right now, EMI Music is promoting two New York bands hoping to ride danceable rock into the mainstream. Both released new albums on Tuesday, and both played the Bowery Ballroom this week. On Wednesday night it was Morningwood, the brash and shameless female-led group that just released its self-titled debut album through Capitol Records, an EMI subsidiary. And on Thursday night it was We Are Scientists, the sly and shameless all-male trio that just released its debut album, "With Love and Squalor," through Virgin Records, another EMI subsidiary.

What does Morningwood sound like? Mainly, it sounds like a major-label conference room. You can almost hear the executives chattering away in the background, reassuring one another that no group with loud guitars and a guy who used to be in the Wallflowers and strutting rhythms and lyrics about how N-N-New York girls have a-a-a-attitude - no group like that could possibly fail, right? Right? This is a band that's supposed to be lots of fun, and if you forget, the members are happy to remind you how much fun you're supposed to be having.

On Wednesday night, Chantal Claret, the lead singer, worked overtime to entertain the executives and the fans; it seemed she was hoping for a sea of fists in the crowd, though she got only a puddle. The band has one really good song, "Nth Degree," a disco-rock confection that lodges itself firmly in the brain before the second chorus even arrives; it sounded pretty good on Wednesday, though it sounds even better on record, with electronic effects on the vocals to make the song sound that much smoother.

But the Morningwood album also includes more than a few songs that are unnecessarily, even perversely, awful. The next record executive to complain about slumping CD sales should be forced to spend the day playing "Babysitter" on repeat, listening to Ms. Claret moan, "Your mama, mama, mama shouldn't let me baby-sit." At the Bowery Ballroom, she worked overtime to entertain: she brandished a baton; she climbed up to the balcony; during "Take Off Your Clothes," she invited a suspiciously well-prepared woman from the audience to strip onstage. When Ms. Claret sang she often rolled her eyes, and she wasn't the only one.

The members of We Are Scientists are just as eager to let listeners know they don't take themselves too seriously: on their CD cover, they are all holding kittens in front of their faces. The music finds a comfortable spot between the neo-wave band the Killers and the disco-punk band the Rapture, all spiky rhythms and yelpy vocals. And while Morningwood took the stage after a long recorded fanfare, the members of We Are Scientists just ambled on and, after a mumbled hello, started playing "This Scene Is Dead," which reduces a complicated night to a pithy refrain: "The night is young/ I'm blacking out/ But it's been fun."

Only 37 minutes long, "With Love and Squalor" is a modest little album that delivers on its promises: it's full of neatly turned-out songs, familiar-sounding but pretty sharp all the same. On Thursday the band played nimbly, propelled by Michael Tapper's skittering drums. During a guitar interlude in "Can't Lose," Chris Cain took a minute to fix a problem with his bass. Keith Murray, the guitarist and lead singer, kept playing but watched his bandmate's progress. "Time is running short," he said with a faint smile, and Mr. Cain finished just in time.

Near the end came one of the best songs, "It's a Hit." It's not, thank goodness, a smarmy joke about the record industry; it's a half-remembered story about a drunken encounter. "This was going so well, but I don't know what I did," Mr. Murray wailed. "All I really can tell is, I've been hit, I've been hit, I've been hit." While Morningwood tries frantically to start a party, the members of We Are Scientists act as if they're already at one, and almost ready to leave.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2006, 11:19:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  im hoping the lovemakers will finally get their attention.  
One of smackettes favorites from 2005.  I just don't see it though. [/b]
i saw those guys over the summer in LA...they started macking on stage, and it was thoroughly awkward.  their music was fun and dancey though, i just couldn't get into it as much as i thought i'd be able to.  their keyboardist is the funniest/creepiest guy on planet earth.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2020, 10:16:47 am »
As i was thinking Indie Landfill time was peak forum...
T.Rex

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2020, 10:32:04 am »

My guess, and a release I'm really looking forward to:  birdmonster.  Yea, sucky name.
 myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/birdmonster

I can't stop listening to All The Holes in the Walls.

I suppose Artic Monkeys is already on the verge of being the new band of the year.  Anyone else got any guesses?
On a whim, I clicked the link and their Myspace page from 15 years ago is still up!
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2020, 10:38:54 am »
Remember when this forum was populated by semi-cool young people talking about music instead of old dudes talking about home refinance and repair?

The memories almost make me forgive them for predicting bands like Birdmonster and We Are Scientists were the next big thing.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2020, 10:48:25 am »
2006 makes me think of Art Brut - hey, what ever happened to them?
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2020, 10:48:56 am »
I frickin hate the fact people talk about home repair and mortgages!!

Part of the problem is there is no live music currently

And when i share something I think is pretty cool about music - like say the article about Toots- nobody cares

You are the worst offender Space...as you well know... anybody posts anything about music you troll and derail it...

I kind of think this board is pretty much dying at this point..Yada comes back and Julian made damn sure he would leave...when you only have 5 regulars that’s just not helpful

At this point I am still here by inertia and cause I like interacting with sidehatch..it’s not like we can go to concerts

hutch

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2020, 10:50:59 am »
2006 makes me think of Art Brut - hey, what ever happened to them?

New album this year or last? But basically like so many bands it was diminishing fan base followed by a break and even less fans

Main dude does some cool album cover paintings

You tell him what album you want and for about $100 he does a small painting in his own style after listening to album

He sends you painting, obviously, along with a few words on what he thought of album
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 10:59:11 am by hutch »

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2020, 11:20:56 am »
I kind of think this board is pretty much dying at this point..Yada comes back and Julian made damn sure he would leave...when you only have 5 regulars that’s just not helpful
hanging on by threads, but not dead yet
I hope Yada isn't so thin-skinned on this point, but that's his decision
the irony is he was planning a backyard concert that would be the first live show since March
slack

hutch

« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2020, 11:57:18 am »
I am sure this board has nothing to do with G Love bbq

Once Yada made it clear he didn’t like it - and he has on multiple occasions- it should just fuckin stop

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2020, 12:00:30 pm »
I frickin hate the fact people talk about home repair and mortgages!!

Part of the problem is there is no live music currently

And when i share something I think is pretty cool about music - like say the article about Toots- nobody cares

I'll be the first to admit that I'm one of the worst offenders when it comes to filling the empty space on the board.  I miss live music too.  This video really seems to capture the energy of a band and the crowd interacting in a live venue (albeit, an arena).  Watching it really brings me back to the good times.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2020, 12:04:06 pm »
...Jeebus that drummer can really mash the skins tho!