Author Topic: the weed, thread  (Read 77618 times)

GAY,GUY

Re: the weed, thread
« Reply #390 on: September 09, 2022, 05:07:58 pm »
I couldn’t agree more.  Does anyone know if he can change Mary Jane from being schedule 1 drug with an executive order?
No. He can order agencies to (...) change enforcement

that is his main play: tell the DEA and DOJ to stop pursuing small-scale MJ possession.  two problems:
1. the prez has almost no sway over state and local police.  most small-timers and back-alley joint smokers aren't busted by the DEA. 
2. while some 65% of this country would support de-enforcement/decriminalization/etc., the remaining 35% are likely to make a political mountain of it, and would likely be willing to die on that hill.  IMO it's like abortion: those in favor just expect it, while those opposed are militant.  the right would have an absolute field day labelling Joe the "dealer in chief", "the president that brought crack to every neighborhood", etc.

in a nutshell, it would be lighting a fuse under a red state/blue state issue that currently isn't an issue.  given how many issues Joe has to deal with currently, i doubt he needs a new headache.

Oh you . . . with, the logic.

GAY,GUY

« Reply #391 on: September 09, 2022, 05:08:59 pm »
but there is honestly big support in red states...maybe not the political leaders, but the voters for sure
I agree there will be a lot of backlash and easy political points will be won with ads like
 'joe's soft on crime, do you want some whacked out Phish fan raping your daughter because he smoked some of Joe's Dank SkunkAF"

Oh you, with the, Phish logic.

« Reply #392 on: September 09, 2022, 05:12:04 pm »
but there is honestly big support in red states...maybe not the political leaders, but the voters for sure
I agree there will be a lot of backlash and easy political points will be won with ads like
 'joe's soft on crime, do you want some whacked out Phish fan raping your daughter because he smoked some of Joe's Dank SkunkAF"

Oh you, with the, Phish logic.
trust me, I've been warning my daughters of the danger of phish phans since day 1
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #393 on: September 09, 2022, 07:32:10 pm »
Sweets, you have this backwards. The pro-MJ people are single issue voters; the anti-MJ voters are very milquetoast on this.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #394 on: September 09, 2022, 11:48:19 pm »
The pro-MJ people are single issue voters

jules, two questions:
1. are you in favor of decriminalization/de-enforcement/etc.?
2. how important is this issue to you vs. abortion, climate change, immigration reform, healthcare reform, the economy, etc.?
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #395 on: September 09, 2022, 11:50:35 pm »
but taking it off schedule 1 would be HUGE and change sentencing dramatically

again, joe can't do that.
<sig>

« Reply #396 on: September 10, 2022, 11:12:25 am »

jules, two questions:
2. how important is this issue to you vs. abortion, climate change, immigration reform, healthcare reform, the economy, etc.?
Yes, I’m in favor of the full legalization of marijuana and the decriminalization of most drugs (despite the fact that I do not use weed personally). That said, I never talk about this subject and would not self-identify as a “pro MJ voter” because it’s really not all that important to me. I’m not a person who is sharing NORML’s talking points online. 

Literally every other topic you listed is of far greater concern and would more sway my vote over drug reform.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 11:14:27 am by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #397 on: September 10, 2022, 12:41:42 pm »
Juste exactamente!

Bien monsieur! Tres bien

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #398 on: September 10, 2022, 05:56:38 pm »
The ¿Que estás fumando? thread is over there -->

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #399 on: September 11, 2022, 01:20:45 am »

jules, two questions:
Yes, I’m in favor of the full legalization of marijuana and the decriminalization of most drugs (despite the fact that I do not use weed personally). That said, I never talk about this subject and would not self-identify as a “pro MJ voter” because it’s really not all that important to me. I’m not a person who is sharing NORML’s talking points online. 

Literally every other topic you listed is of far greater concern and would more sway my vote over drug reform.

soooooooooo... you realize you just undermined your own point, right?  you're a pro-MJ voter, but you're far from a single-issue voter.

just sayin'.
<sig>

GAY,GUY

« Reply #400 on: September 11, 2022, 09:58:50 am »
Julian, I love you, but I stopped listening, when you said you aren't a smoker of weed.

Your opinion, is highly, invalid. 

The, end.

« Reply #401 on: September 11, 2022, 10:24:35 am »

jules, two questions:

soooooooooo... you realize you just undermined your own point, right?  you're a pro-MJ voter, but you're far from a single-issue voter.

just sayin'.
No, I actually didn’t although I knew this is what you were trying to do. I don’t vote based on a candidates stand on weed. I’ve voted for many fuddy-Duddy old school Dems who get the vapors at the thought of weed legalization.

Regardless of how we want to define pro-MJ voters, my underlying point stands: there is a large block of people — ten million plus — for whom Marijuana legalization is their #1 issue. There is no one for whom “keep weed illegal” is their #1 issue. The enthusiasm gap on this issue is night and day.
LVMH

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #402 on: September 11, 2022, 08:28:27 pm »
Short of federal legalization, would be nice for the Biden Admin to propose some new rules regarding security clearances so they don't blacklist anyone who admits to regular MJ usage. Stone cold drunks can get a clearance with flying colors but if you, heaven forbid, admit to using MJ, you don't have a prayer.

« Reply #403 on: September 11, 2022, 11:05:15 pm »
100%^
so many states adult recreational is legit, but a lot of companies still are doing drug testing for THC
Also if you have a record, you are kinda screwed for life as you can never get a decent job
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #404 on: September 12, 2022, 02:41:31 am »
Short of federal legalization, would be nice for the Biden Admin to propose some new rules regarding security clearances so they don't blacklist anyone who admits to regular MJ usage.

the FBI are struggling with this issue.  they realized about a decade ago that they weren't getting the best cyber-security experts (read: hackers) because of the ban on weed.  so they changed their rules (in some silly ways) to allow for some MJ use - in the past.  current users need not apply.  even when the agency's mission is jeopardized they still can't allow weekend smokers in.  the institutional momentum in these agencies isn't going to be overcome by a white house directive saying "hey guys, could you please start hiring stoners"...

Stone cold drunks can get a clearance with flying colors but if you, heaven forbid, admit to using MJ, you don't have a prayer.

that's a nah.  if during the investigation for a security clearance they discover you're a raging alcoholic, you can kiss that clearance goodbye.
<sig>