Author Topic: Visiting Baltimore  (Read 27221 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Visiting Baltimore
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2022, 07:57:25 pm »
nobody knows how World Cup bids truly work, unless it is really is cities offering $X to FIFA and trying to recoup the money.

see, this is exactly why i assumed Fed Ex was in the running...
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2022, 08:16:43 pm »
FIFA would be foolish to mess around with the US. I mean didn’t our Department of Justice take down their former leadership?

« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2022, 08:55:55 pm »
FIFA would be foolish to mess around with the US. I mean didn’t our Department of Justice take down their former leadership?
is this why you see a headline like this

FIFA snubs Washington D.C
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2022, 09:12:18 pm »
I think the Rose Bowl was proposed but didn’t make this final cut in favor of Sofi Stadium.

The Rose Bowl was never offered, except for maybe practice. The NFL hasn't had a Super Bowl there in 30 years, why would FIFA play there instead of SoFi Stadium?
The Rose Bowl was 100% on the finalists list up until today when it was not selected. Read literally any article on this subject, bro.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4686699/world-cup-2026-host-cities-revealedwith-11-venues-in-us3-in-mexico-and-2-in-canada   read paragraph 4.

The Super Bowl has been exclusively hosted at NFL stadiums during your suggested 30-year window, so the Rose Bowl was not eligible for a Super Bowl. This is sort of like pointing out Nationals Park has hosted no Super Bowls, so how could we expect them to merit a Green Day and Weezer co-headline date.

It WAS the site of the 199x World Cup Final the last time the US hosted.

I will tolerate none of this Rose Bowl slander.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 09:16:57 pm by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2022, 09:13:03 pm »
They didn’t snub DC, they snubbed Baltimore which doesn’t have an MLS team

They went with cities that support soccer like Seattle or Atlanta which average 50,000 attendance per game

I think they got it right

Vas Deferens

(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2022, 02:20:24 pm »
They went with cities that support soccer like Seattle or Atlanta which average 50,000 attendance per game

I think they got it right

seattle's #1 team, by far and away, is the seahawks (nlf).  but second place is a definite toss-up between the mariners (mlb) and the sounders (mls).  i get the impression that there are more baseball fans in numbers, but soccer fans are way more passionate.  in my little slice of exurbia there are at least two "sounders bars" but i can't think of a single "mariners bar."

one the one hand, giving the WC games to established markets like seattle or LA is a reward for loyalty, cementing the market, etc.  but on the other hand, those games are going to sell out - why not expand to new markets like baltimore?

anyhoo, looks like seattle is only getting round-robin games, no knockouts.  i'll be attending as many games as i can get tickets to.  maybe england will play here and i can attract a certain san fransiscan up this way...
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2022, 03:39:35 pm »
I believe the MLS grew out of the 1994 World Cup.

MLS is a pretty big league now! It ain’t just ten markets….Teams in some cases drawing 50,000 is a big deal even if it ain’t NFL numbers! Did you think the NFL only has 8 or 9 home games per year?

It makes sense to reward cities that care about soccer and - in the main-have world class infrastructure.
I wish Columbus had the large stadium to be rewarded.

Baltimore? Pfft

« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2022, 05:33:33 pm »
MLS is a Ponzi scheme. It has “more than 10 teams” because it’s chief revenue is the initiation fee for new teams. It’s Amway masquerading as a sports league.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2022, 01:12:59 am »
MLS is a Ponzi scheme. It has “more than 10 teams” because it’s chief revenue is the initiation fee for new teams. It’s Amway masquerading as a sports league.

you really disconnect yourself from the internet when you drink.
<sig>

« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2022, 09:40:11 am »

you really disconnect yourself from the internet when you drink.
Don't take my word for it. Google “mls Ponzi scheme” and go look at the number of academics who call it that. Like 4 of 27 teams (or whatever the count is now) are profitable without league dispersements of new franchise fees. The TV revenue is negligible and attendance sucks outside of like 5 cities.

When they run out of cities to expand to to generate more “new franchise fees,” it’s over. It’s a Ponzi scheme.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2022, 06:52:06 pm »
MLS has flaws but it’s lasted more than two decades. I think it’s a success by any measure. Is it the Premier League? No but none are other than the Premier.

Attendance is actually quite good. MLS average attendance per game is about the same as baseball or basketball.

The product on the field is vastly improved with lots of talented South American players making the first jump to MLS from say Argentina.

MLS stadiums used to be atrocious but have been upgraded. See DC for example.

When I read that some teams average attendance of 50,000 I find it remarkable. These numbers compare favorably with the most successful teams in Europe or South America that have been around over a hundred years.

The 2026 World Cup will be another boost to MLS as will be Messi arriving about 2023-24.