Author Topic: The 2020 thread....  (Read 457721 times)

Re: The 2020 thread....
« Reply #240 on: March 20, 2019, 12:53:49 pm »
The Right wing media has been pushing this Ted Kopel interview and I thought the memes were fake
But Ted said it Ted Koppel on media bias against Trump

"I'm terribly concerned that when you talk about the New York Times these days, when you talk about the Washington Post these days, we're not talking about the New York Times of 50 years ago," Koppel noted to journalist and author Marvin Kalb earlier this month. "We are not talking about the Washington Post of 50 years ago. We're talking about organizations that I believe have, in fact, decided as organizations that Donald J. Trump is bad for the United States."

Few quick notes....
1. I love GGW's post and have revisited it many times!
2. I edited it for brevity
3. moved from the Prestige tv to a political thread
4. Ted obviously read this post and plagiarized GGW but extended the timelines
5. Although I do think DJT is bad for the US....regardless of the media's depiction...I form my judgement on what trump does and says, not what the NYT/Wapo says
6. lastly...come back GGW, board is a little vapid without ya

As far as the media question - I have a love-hate relationship with the media.  I consume vast quantities of it, but much of it I find flawed and rapidly getting worse. I don't think I have ever seen Fox News.  I like facts, stripped of biases.  Fox News is obviously not that.  But nobody else is anymore.  I have read the New York Times daily since I was a kid.  It used to be a great paper.  They were always left-leaning, but they kept that part to the op-ed pages.  They dealt with a lot of hard news and had great cultural coverage as well and largely succeeded in keeping the general news operation as bias-free as possible.  Today, the entire paper is wildly left-leaning.  Like the Washington Post, business concerns pushed them to make a conscious decision to abandon generalism and gear the paper toward its base - A very liberal and cosmopolitan readership.  I've been thinking of canceling my subscription for years, but just can't do it after it being a daily touchstone for 40+ years.  But the NY Times is regularly awful now.
 Like I said, I have a love-hate relationship with the media.  I still love it enough that I gorge on it, but I really hate it because I feel like there are no high quality generalist news sources left. 20 years ago (maybe even more recently) I felt like reading the New York Times gave me an excellent, largely bias-free handle on what's going on in the world.  Back then, even the Washington Post was half decent (emphasis on "half").  Today, I don't feel like there are any truly non-biased sources left out there.
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #241 on: March 20, 2019, 02:14:29 pm »
This guy is going to make Biden and Bernie look like Spring chickens.

https://spectator.us/mike-gravel-2020-rock/

Some classic tweets:

To Minnesota senator Amy Klobuchar, he wrote ‘.@amyklobuchar it’s hard to fight the big tech firms that abuse American workers when you also like to abuse American workers’.

And he’s not afraid to point out pandering hypocrisy either: ‘#KillerKamalaHarris just came around to supporting marijuana legalization, even though she smoked it herself in college. Meanwhile, I’ve served as the CEO of two marijuana companies. #GravelGang #Gravel2020’

What about the front-runners, you ask? ‘i sure do hope the faucets at @JoeBiden’s house are strong, with the amount of Iraqi blood on his hands #Gravel2020 #GravelGang’.

The 2020 Democratic field pretends to progressivism, but don’t buy the lie,’ Gravel writes. ‘@KamalaHarris kept innocent men on death row. @JoeBiden voted for the Iraq War. @CoryBooker invented a drug dealer friend (and voted with Big Pharma).’

« Reply #242 on: March 20, 2019, 02:25:57 pm »
you have to watch Gravel's 2008 campaign ad
guy was way ahead of his time
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 03:40:17 pm by Sïdehätch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #243 on: March 20, 2019, 09:48:03 pm »
Stacey Abrams  | LEAD FROM THE OUTSIDE
4/9
At UDC (presented by politics and prose)
--hasn't announce yet if she's running...but I heard that Biden was hinting a running mate already (before he even announced)
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #244 on: March 20, 2019, 10:03:42 pm »
4/9
--hasn't announce yet if she's running...but I heard that Biden was hinting a running mate already (before he even announced)

What has she done, other than lost a rigged governor's race?

« Reply #245 on: March 20, 2019, 10:20:05 pm »
To be honest, no clue...this was the blurb
 Lead from the Outside: How to Build Your Future and Make Real Change by political leader, entrepreneur, and nonprofit CEO Stacey Abrams is the handbook for outsiders, written with an eye toward the challenges that hinder women, people of color, the working class, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and millennials ready to make change. Abrams uses her hard-won insights to break down how ambition, fear, money, and failure function in leadership, and she includes practical exercises to help you realize your own ambition and hone your skills.
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #246 on: March 20, 2019, 11:16:51 pm »
4/9

if only we had some sort of a mechanism by which we could submit a person's name, and this mechanism would do some sort of a "search" for us, and then display a bunch of potential answers... maybe even ideally sorted by relevancy... one can only dream.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #247 on: March 21, 2019, 08:39:19 am »
4/9

if only we had some sort of a mechanism by which we could submit a person's name, and this mechanism would do some sort of a "search" for us, and then display a bunch of potential answers... maybe even ideally sorted by relevancy... one can only dream.

If you have to google someone's accomplishments, either they're not very accomplished or you're not very informed. I may not be woker than a barnyard rooster, but I bet I'm more informed that 95% of the population.

hutch

« Reply #248 on: March 21, 2019, 08:47:38 am »
This may be bs but on msnbc reporting Biden is considering making Abrams his VP when he announces

hutch

« Reply #249 on: March 21, 2019, 09:15:38 am »

« Reply #250 on: March 21, 2019, 10:45:03 am »
This may be bs but on msnbc reporting Biden is considering making Abrams his VP when he announces
could have sworn that was mentioned in this thread before

Stacey Abrams 
slack

nkotb

« Reply #251 on: March 21, 2019, 03:22:48 pm »
Did you guys vote yet?

hutch

« Reply #252 on: March 21, 2019, 03:34:21 pm »
I voted a few months ago!

« Reply #253 on: March 21, 2019, 04:24:03 pm »
Did you guys vote yet?
Doesn't post in 3 years....and this is the first foray back
slack

nkotb

« Reply #254 on: March 21, 2019, 04:25:44 pm »
I figured this was the best place to get my voting news.