Author Topic: The 2020 thread....  (Read 444405 times)

Space Freely

Re: The 2020 thread....
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2019, 09:39:19 pm »
I don’t get people that tell people not to run....seems very anti-democratic and un American

Now I can see trying to convince people not to vote third party once all candidates are announced for general but at this early point?

Anyone who wants to be president should run to be president...the more the better

I think Trump is more un-American and anti-democratic than telling a left-center guy not to run as an independent. Can't Ross Perot run as the independent choice instead of Schultz?

hutch

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2019, 10:02:43 pm »
I think Perot is dead 💀

I can’t stand people saying Bernie should not run Biden should not Hillary should not

Let anyone run and the voters decide

Now if someone actually runs and does and says things to intentionally torpedo the Democratic Party emerging nominee then I could see having a problem with that...

It really takes the cake to see people who celebrated Bernie and his scorched earth run in 2016 criticize people for merely saying they might want to run for President

hutch

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2019, 10:05:50 pm »
Trying to scare people about a guy like Schultz running because Trump is so terrible is weak....democrats need to run and win on issues and not simply the anti-trump message....Hillary tried that to some degree...attack Trump on his strong suit issues like immigration by coming up with something better not simply saying Trump is Hitler

Space Freely

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2019, 10:29:40 pm »
Perot is most certainly not dead.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2019, 10:38:22 pm »
Perot is most certainly not dead.
Unless you’ve spoken to him in the last few minutes, this is really irresponsible.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2019, 10:54:21 pm »
The Republican Party is so solidly brainwashed and behind Trump I am not sure anyone can bleed much support from him...not even - I stand corrected- an 89 year old Perot

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2019, 01:00:51 am »
The Republican Party is so solidly brainwashed and behind Trump I am not sure anyone can bleed much support from him...not even - I stand corrected- an 89 year old Perot

eh, i'm not sure of that.  there is a solid segement of the voting population - around a third of the electorate - that will indeed support trump no matter what he does (including shooting someone on 5th ave).  but between that third and the 50'ish% that he needs to get elected again - that's the segment that is vulnerable. (reminder: trump won 2016 with 46.1%, so if 1/3 is correct then he needs to muster another ~13%).

one scenario i can foresee is trump easily winning the nom again because his base is fervent - they'll come out to the primary polls.  highly unlikely any challenger could muster that much enthusiasm from their supporters.  do you see throngs of voters showing up on polling day for, say, larry hogan?!?  after the nomination is secured he'll need to convince that 13% to vote for him, and that's where things (hopefully) fall apart - that 13% of folks "willing to give him a chance" are unlikely to be as generous in 2020.  they gave him a chance, and currently trump is polling below 40%... so he's coming up short.

this assumes the dems can come up with a halfway decent candidate.  still plenty of time for the donkeys to f*ck things up. 

i was reading about a disheartening debate among some dems that the country isn't ready for a female president and that's why they lost in 2016, so despite the optics maybe they should focus on a male candidate because it's too risky to test the waters with another woman... i don't support this opinion, but it's out there.  ugh.
<sig>

« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2019, 08:35:17 am »
i don't support this opinion, but it's out there.  ugh.
wise man once said "opinions are like assholes...everyone's got one"
slack

hutch

« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2019, 08:50:08 am »
I don’t really care if it can’t happen as the battle must continue to be fought but if Hillary could not do it.....

People are lying to themselves if they believe her being a woman was not an important factor in her ”loss”.... people can’t face the uncomfortable truth so they blame her for being “unlikable”

hutch

« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2019, 08:54:12 am »
Currently I have Kamala Harris as the favorite

« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2019, 09:19:58 am »
it's all about timing, say Hil went up against Mitt or McCain...I think she would have won

trump's campaign did such a good job a threading that needle
and the fact that his only 'history' was reality tv and tabloids was perfect for the uneducated voter

but  they have things to judge him a little more critically on

Sadly all these presidential elections are decided by people who can't really make a decision and flip flop to what ever candidate has the shiniest pin on their lapel

Hil got 65,845,063  votes.....Obama got 65,915,795 in 2008

Trump strategists were very freaking smart and they successfully took the electoral college with 3 mill less votes

Getting back to the Shultz statement....I'm not saying that he shouldn't run
but he should run in the dem primary, he's got to know if he is a credible candidate that running as an independent would greatly increase trumps re-election chances

Maybe we should turn the tables and go all reality TV with the Dems

They all live in the same house for a few months and every week registered democratic voters would be able to kick someone off the island

This is our election to lose (heard that before)
it's all a bout messaging and the Dems seem to suck (well its more to do with Dems know the world is complex and can't come up with a policy that's 140 characters)

take the news ....U.S. Treasury Set to Borrow $1 Trillion for a Second Year to Finance the Trump Tax Cut

seriously how can someone who calls them self a conservative be like "we need to lower spending and stop increasing the deficit"
but "it's ok to go in debt so big corps and the 1% get an awesome tax cut...hmm also as an avg American, didn't really more than $100 difference in my taxes" "Oh no big deal we don't have money for roads or teachers either, pile on the debt, that's how we solve this problem"
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:26:31 am by NoCaveHatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2019, 11:44:06 am »
I'd like to see a Brown/Klobuchar or Brown/Harris ticket. Though it would be a chance-y move to give up one or two Senator spots in purple/red states. I like Bullock too, but nobody is going to rally around the governor of Montana.

hutch

« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2019, 11:52:33 am »
Who gives a rat fuck about tickets? It never matters

It’s like something people talk about for no reason

hutch

« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2019, 12:01:48 pm »
Also saying you want A or B before candidates have even presented their ideas, shown their campaign style, demonstrated debate skills, shown how they will handle incoming fire and dealt with an in depth vetting and any potential skeletons in the closet is absolutely moronic and asking for trouble

The ideal approach is to stay open as long as possible and see how things shake out

Space Freely

« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2019, 12:10:20 pm »
Wow, sounds like someone needs a bj.