Author Topic: The 2020 thread....  (Read 443908 times)

Re: The 2020 thread....
« Reply #660 on: June 12, 2019, 09:01:48 am »
19 Democratic candidates visited the Iowa Democratic Party's Hall of Fame yesterday to deliver a five-minute campaign pitch to a throng of state party activists — and they hit the stage with a walk-out song of their own choosing,
now this is a funny response...what songs should the candidates NOT come out to
https://twitter.com/titonka/status/1138599971073249280

I think Dave Weigel wins
If Warren used Kendrick Lamar’s “DNA”

for sweets...Yakety Sax got a mention
slack

gavroche

« Reply #661 on: June 12, 2019, 10:57:01 am »
If this doesn’t change your mind, nothing will:

https://www.switchedonpop.com/no-country-for-old-town-road/

I'm on the road and will give this a listen, until thenthis article sums up most of my thoughts.

It bucks all traditions, from how it was made, how it was marketed, how it was released, how its video was made and distributed, its viral aspects, and so on.  It's an insanely catchy ditty made by a nineteen year old kid at home that nobody can put in a box, pissed everybody off and it's ABSOLUTELY fucking outlaw brilliant.

Gotta admit, I didn't know any of the back story and I'm sort of impressed.  It's a horrible song, but this is all about virtue signaling anyway.  In some sort of weird way it does sort of say, "I'm country, but I'm not racist."  Now I'd like Tim Ryan to disappear again. 

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #662 on: June 12, 2019, 11:43:36 am »
I'm halfway through this podcast excontradiction, and loving it. Thanks for the share.

:) it's one if my favorites. Check the Lizzo episode too!

vansmack

« Reply #663 on: June 12, 2019, 05:12:06 pm »
You're all welcome. 

And thank you excontradiction - I have absolutely no time to add another podcast to my repertoire, but I will!
27>34

gavroche

« Reply #664 on: June 12, 2019, 11:01:41 pm »

« Reply #665 on: June 13, 2019, 08:38:36 am »
You're all welcome. 
so modest, not sure why you aren't going to be on the debate stage in a few weeks

caught the Billie E podcast from switchedonpop yesterday...good stuff
in the queue (of a long list of other podcasts that rarely get listened to)

I know I'm voting to cure cancer: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-biden-cancer-cure-elected-president_n_5cfffb9de4b075510398e1d6
the last note in the article is required reading for those claiming to 'cure cancer'
the ambition of this one overlooks a lot of complexities of the disease — like, for example, the fact that “cancer” is actually more than 100 diseases and therefore not likely treatable with a single cure-all.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:40:32 am by Vayu-hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #666 on: June 13, 2019, 08:55:41 am »
I know I'm voting to cure cancer: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-biden-cancer-cure-elected-president_n_5cfffb9de4b075510398e1d6

Wife: "Joe Biden needs to suck dick and go away, and let Bernie win."

Kid: "What? Joe Biden is gay?"

« Reply #667 on: June 13, 2019, 11:33:05 am »

I'm really hoping https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/ has some wins before 2020...
The National Popular Vote interstate compact would guarantee the Presidency to the candidate who receives the most popular votes in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
of course TX, FL, IA and OH aren't even considering this...but we can always hope
Good news people....only 89 more electoral college votes to go to make this a reality

Ok...we got Oregon...Maine is looking good...still a little pissed at NV Governor Steve Sleestak

It has been enacted into law in 16 jurisdictions with 196 electoral votes (CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, HI, IL, MA, MD, NJ, NM, NY, OR, RI, VT, WA).
 The bill will take effect when enacted by states with 74 more electoral votes.   

People...this is THE issue that can unite people (maybe weed too )
The message has to be clear and the arguments in response do too
one person=one vote
Every person voting for president should have equal weight

also...Executive branch is for all Americans
Congress/legislative is for the States as a balance of power to the Exec

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/section_9.4
 MYTH: The small states would be disadvantaged by a national popular vote.

The small states (the 13 states with only three or four electoral votes) are the most disadvantaged and ignored group of states under the current state-by-state winner-take-all method of awarding electoral votes. The reason is that political power in presidential elections comes from being a closely divided battleground state, and almost all of the small states are noncompetitive states in presidential elections.
    The small states are not ignored because of their low population, but because they are not closely divided battleground states. The 12 small non-battleground states have about the same population (12 million) as the closely divided battleground state of Ohio. The 12 small states have 40 electoral votes—more than twice Ohio’s 18 electoral votes. However, Ohio received 73 of 253 post-convention campaign events in 2012, while the 12 small non-battleground states received none.
    The current state-by-state winner-take-all system actually shifts power from voters in the small and medium-sized states to voters in a handful of big states that happen to be closely divided battleground states in presidential elections.
    The fact that the small states are disadvantaged by the current state-by-state winner-take-all system has long been recognized by prominent officials from those states. In 1966, Delaware led a group of 12 predominantly small states in suing New York (then a closely divided battleground state) in the U.S. Supreme Court in an effort to get state winner-take-all statutes declared unconstitutional.
    Under the current state-by-state winner-take-all system, a vote for President in Wyoming is equal to a vote in California—both are politically irrelevant.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 11:35:53 am by Vayu-hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

nkotb

« Reply #668 on: June 13, 2019, 01:07:14 pm »
Tell Celeste I said...hello

Kid: "What? Joe Biden is gay?"

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #669 on: June 13, 2019, 03:37:48 pm »

"let bernie win"? 

how about bernie earns his win?
<sig>

nkotb

« Reply #670 on: June 13, 2019, 03:57:58 pm »
LOL

Howard Schultz Announces Campaign Staff Cuts, Summer Hiatus

Two absolutely killer cuts:

1) My man threw out his back on a tour to think about running for president.

2) Always a sign of a healthy system!: "Schultz said that if Biden does not appear to be the nominee, he would think about jumping into the presidential race after Super Tuesday."

vansmack

« Reply #671 on: June 13, 2019, 06:15:20 pm »

The Democratic National Committee on Thursday named the 20 presidential candidates who qualified to appear on stage later this month in the first primary debate of the 2020 campaign.

They are:

Sen. Michael Bennet of Colorado
Former Vice President Joe Biden*
Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey*
South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg*
Former Housing Secretary Julián Castro*
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio
Former Rep. John Delaney of Maryland
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii*
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York*
Sen. Kamala Harris of California*
Former Gov. John Hickenlooper of Colorado
Gov. Jay Inslee of Washington*
Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota*
Former Rep. Beto O'Rourke of Texas*
Rep. Tim Ryan of Ohio
Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont*
Rep. Eric Swalwell of California
Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts*
Author Marianne Williamson*
Entrepreneur Andrew Yang*

The DNC, which is sanctioning the debate, set two ways for candidates to qualify — fundraising and polling. To make the stage, candidates needed to have either at least 1 percent support in three qualifying polls, or provide evidence of at least 65,000 unique donors, with a minimum of 200 different donors in at least 20 states.

The candidates marked with an asterisk qualified through both polling and grassroots fundraising thresholds, the DNC said. The others qualified through polling only.

Those who did not meet the threshold for the first debate include: Montana Gov. Steve Bullock; former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel; Miramar, Florida Mayor Wayne Messam; and Rep. Seth Moulton of Massachusetts.
27>34

« Reply #672 on: June 14, 2019, 10:09:07 am »
great image...what a goofy bunch.  looks like a promo for some bizarre Paradise island reality tv

This announcement of these guys not making the cut...was probably the best press coverage they got
3 less white guys is probably not a bad idea
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:12:43 am by SideHatch-Act ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

vansmack

« Reply #673 on: June 14, 2019, 11:26:49 am »
so modest, not sure why you aren't going to be on the debate stage in a few weeks

There is no room in either party for a pragmatic centrist with socially liberal stances, matched with fiscal conservatism.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #674 on: June 14, 2019, 12:59:46 pm »
June 26 lineup: Cory Booker, Julián Castro, John Delaney, Bill de Blasio, Tulsi Gabbard, Jay Inslee, Amy Klobuchar, Beto O’Rourke, Tim Ryan, Elizabeth Warren

June 27 lineup: Michael Bennet, Joe Biden, Pete Buttigieg, Kirsten Gillibrand, Kamala Harris, John Hickenlooper, Bernie Sanders, Eric Swalwell, Marianne Williamson
27>34