Author Topic: COVID-19 2020  (Read 386274 times)

Space Freely

Re: COVID-19 2020
« Reply #1291 on: June 14, 2020, 07:49:09 pm »
Why have there been no reported COVID-19 deaths in Spain for a week?

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1689226/world

hutch

« Reply #1292 on: June 14, 2020, 10:36:12 pm »
I just don’t think we know how this virus works but it seems to ravage and then weaken and not spread as easily

It’s really a mystery..the medical community has proved worse than useless on covid..they do not have a clue

But I have seen enough to say that countries where the curve falls need to reopen with certain caveats initially like

1. Limit super spreader events (ie no conferences, concerts, packed subway cars, packed stadiums, packed bars, etc)...common sense
2. More vulnerable populations should self quarantine
3. Continue widespread testing and do tracing when people test positive
4. People should continue to wear masks and social distance where possible

I think though most people should get back to relative normal and in a month we revisit where we are..of course this means some people will die that wouldn’t all things being equal if we all stay home...but all things aren’t equal..many people need to work...if people don’t vacation entire communities will be harmed.. it’s about balance..finding a reasonable equilibrium

I am talking about the US where today we had about 300 deaths... as opposed to the peak of 3000..I know everyone is predicting a terrible second wave...but I don’t see that happening
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 10:48:20 pm by hutch »

Space Freely

« Reply #1293 on: June 15, 2020, 08:06:02 am »
I hope you are right, about the second wave.

326 deaths on Worldometers for the Sunday undercount. I expect it to be back up on the high triple digits by mid-week, but yes, it's great that those numbers continue to trend lower. Last Sunday it was 375 (then went up above 1000 again Tues or Wed, then back down high triple digits.)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1294 on: June 15, 2020, 09:29:38 am »
I know everyone is predicting a terrible second wave...but I don’t see that happening

Science Based Medicine says that a second wave may not be terrible, as long as people keep social distancing, wearing masks, staying home...

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/covid-19-the-second-wave/

« Reply #1295 on: June 15, 2020, 09:44:32 am »
Science Based Medicine
I like my medicine fantasy-based, can we get some from 'both sides'

I'm also looking for a gut-feeling based news source
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1296 on: June 15, 2020, 09:50:41 am »
You'd be surprised at how easy it is to find that...

hutch

« Reply #1297 on: June 15, 2020, 10:09:08 am »
Science based is fine..limiting yourself to listening to epidemiologists not so much

You have to look at things from all angles not just epidemiology

If you just listen to epidemiologists you won’t open up til 2023

Let’s remember why we shut down..to flatten the curve and get ourselves -our infrastructure-ready to deal...we didn’t shut down with the goal of eliminating all covid death forever

Space Freely

« Reply #1298 on: June 15, 2020, 10:35:54 am »
Science based is fine..limiting yourself to listening to epidemiologists not so much

If you just listen to epidemiologists you won’t open up til 2023

Let’s remember why we shut down..to flatten the curve and get ourselves -our infrastructure-ready to deal...we didn’t shut down with the goal of eliminating all covid death forever

Hey look, it's me, logging onto my Hutch account.

hutch

« Reply #1299 on: June 15, 2020, 10:38:52 am »
Except you were saying we should open before we had flattened the curve. Your view was to reopen months ago..hell not even shut down schools

We would have never flattened the curve with that approach, smarty pants

hutch

« Reply #1300 on: June 15, 2020, 10:41:35 am »
I won’t even get into the horrible stuff you posted about older people...

I have to say I lost respect for you. You showed yourself to be a very small and selfish “man”

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #1301 on: June 15, 2020, 11:23:28 am »

Incorrect.  I had a coworker try to convince me that you can protect yourself from COVID-19 by eating elderberries and drinking pineapple juice.  You do not have to consider this point of view, as it is not based on science.

hutch

« Reply #1302 on: June 15, 2020, 11:32:10 am »
Well I think you are incorrect

You do have to take into account people’s lost jobs and hundreds of other negative consequences from shutting down

Balance / equilibrium are the key

Look at Argentina..they have shut down the economy since early March

Now people were struggling to begin with...you can’t expect people to continue to stay home forever.. they won’t have anything to eat eventually

Space Freely

« Reply #1303 on: June 15, 2020, 11:39:00 am »
Except you were saying we should open before we had flattened the curve. Your view was to reopen months ago..hell not even shut down schools

We would have never flattened the curve with that approach, smarty pants

Of you are referring to my comments on page 23 of this thread, please go back and re-read. I was questioning things, not providing a definitive timeline or answers.

« Reply #1304 on: June 15, 2020, 11:41:35 am »
Well I'm not agreeing that your co-worker's solution is right, but being metabolically healthy is key to COVID survival
most who are dying have: Obesity, hypertension, diabetus and such

Elderberries are chockfull of antioxidants such as vitamins A and C and various flavonoids and there are some studis saying it can reduce (not prevent) the lenght of colds/flu..
So there are benefits in being a healthy supplement and providing gut health, but I would not say a specific covid remedy

I'd be a little skeptical of Pineapple juice...as it's tons of sugar
so unless you fresh squeeze it, you are not getting all the said benefits and mostly sugar
it does have some interesting properties and in small doses has lots of pluses
slack