Author Topic: Roll Call - Bob Mould  (Read 3946 times)

Bombay Chutney

Re: Roll Call - Bob Mould
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 09:25:00 am »
I didn't think it was all that bad.  His voice was definitely shot after a while though, which made the slower songs a little rough.  I thought he sounded fine on the more rockin' stuff.  Too much guitar?  Really?  I was loving that.  Maybe the earplugs helped.

No doubt last year's show was better, but I thought this one was fun, too.

dlcjr1775

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 02:05:00 pm »
Maybe the earplugs helped.

Yeah, they probably did.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 02:14:00 pm »
I think the real problem is the solo material. They're really mediocre.
(_|_)

hoitel

• hello. world.
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 02:35:00 pm »
i agree about bob's solo stuff being weak, but how was Halou? i like bob's music a lot (especially husker du), but i really wanted to go to the show to see them...

dlcjr1775

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 07:54:00 am »
Halou sounded like early 90's Lush. I found it repetitive and boring. But hey, to each his own.  :D

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 08:57:00 am »
I wasn't there, but I can't imagine a Black person being unimaginative and plain.

Originally posted by dlcjr1775:
  What a disappointment. That was the worst Bob show I've ever seen, and I've seen upwards of 20. The guitar was jacked up way too high, which means that the bass and keyboards were inaudible. The new drummer, somebody Black, was unimaginative and plain. Bob's voice was gone by the third song and he yelled his way through the entire set. The new material sounded very under-unrehersed and, next to the older material, sounds boring. Don't get me wrong, I still love him and his music, but that was just plain terrible. The Body of Song show in 2005 absolutely blew that away. I also missed the confetti sprayer this time, it was such a (welcome) change from 9:30's boring light show.

Anyone else?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 09:48:00 am »
I'm pretty sure the drummer was Rob Black - the drummer for Morel.

dlcjr1775

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 11:09:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
 [QB] I wasn't there, but I can't imagine a Black person being unimaginative and plain.

Very funny.

bearman🐻

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 12:18:00 pm »
Can't say that I'm too bummed to have missed this...wouldn't trade my trip to California for it! Hope y'all are well. Looking forward to getting back to DC for some upcoming shows though.

Random Citizen

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »
Saw the band in PDX at the Doug Fir on Friday night. I thought it was great and loved the multiple encores. I thought the sound was good throughout. The only issues I had with the show were with some of the drunken folks in the crowd.   :p