Author Topic: Who “owned” the 1970s musically?  (Read 3418 times)

hutch

Re: Who “owned” the 1970s musically?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 02:08:20 pm »
Yeah I was giving myself three picks

If I could only pick one it would have to be Bowie I should think....although sales wise I don’t believe Bowie did well in the second half of the 70s

Still you have to factor it all in: sales, influence and I guess judgment on quality

Bowie also had huge influence helping other acts like Lou Reed, Mott, and Iggy... can’t discount that...heck he even covered Springsteen before anyone knew who he was although was it on Pin ups or just a bonus on reissue?

hutch

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2020, 02:11:01 pm »
You have other friends you talk about Bowie with?

I don’t even know you anymore

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 02:14:04 pm »
You have other friends you talk about Bowie with?

I don’t even know you anymore
Harry of all people...rarely talked bowie with him, so was a surprise
slack

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 02:58:47 pm »
Agree with Steely Dan
Maybe Springsteen even though the real fame didn't come until Born in the USA.  The genius however was the first 5 albums, 4 of which were in the 70's.

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 03:09:13 pm »
Ok...so what 70's album almost didn't happen and went on to be one of the best-selling albums of all time with over 43 million copies worldwide.
trying to find a record company willing to sign them....the band spent most of 1975 writing and recording material, and two and a half years auditioning the record and being rejected.  Their Manager joked that they were creating record companies just so they could be rejected
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2020, 04:17:10 pm »
The problem with Zep is they drop off after Houses of the Holy

they had a dip with ITTOD, agreed - a few interesting moments but overall a low point of their discography.  but the band came roaring back with Presence, driven by a now heroine-free page. 

i would differ - you'd dismiss Physical Graffiti?  and Presence is an amazing album.  ITTOD has a few interesting moments, but it does indeed represent a drop-off (damn heroine..).  i dunno but having 6 classic albums in a decade, along with one dude, should put them in the conversation here... IMO.
<sig>

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2020, 04:37:01 pm »
Isn't it Heroin?
a Herione is : a woman admired or idealized for her courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

and it's Dud not Dude record, unless this is a record recommended by the Dude, in that case, the Dude approves
slack

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 04:43:31 pm »
Wouldn't say he owned it...but was a top tier player

Stevie
Talking book
Innervisions
Songs in the Key of life

Should have made that best three by an artist thread

slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2020, 05:21:45 pm »
Isn't it Heroin?
a Herione is : a woman admired or idealized for her courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

uh, what i meant is that he has just divorced his wife, who was a star in a the search and rescue field - she had saved several children from drowning - so he was now heroine-free... <walks away>

(and if we're going to be pedantic: you mispelled heroine as "Herione")

and it's Dud not Dude record, unless this is a record recommended by the Dude, in that case, the Dude approves

unfortunately i do not know for a fact if The Dude abides by Led Zep, but i have to assume he does (white russians & side 2 of Physical Graffiti is a classic combo).
<sig>

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2020, 05:56:00 pm »
if we're going to be pedantic:
ummm it's the internet, I think we are required to be pedantic
but that's some pretty weak sauce on my part
slack

hutch

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2020, 07:01:25 pm »
I got mixed up..Physical Graffiti is top notch..it’s afterwards that you can’t say much

Physical Graffiti was released in February 1975.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2020, 07:30:18 pm »
 Presence is excellent as well but was released in the first half of 76, so it doesn't make a huge difference time wise.

I'd choose Elton, Zeppelin, and then either Floyd, Young, or the Stones. The latter released Sticky Fingers, Exile, Goats Head Soup and Some Girls for starters. Let it Bleed missed by about three weeks.

hutch

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2020, 08:26:07 pm »
Yes the Stones is another great choice StonetheCrow...they almost transcended music in the 70s

radley17

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 10:42:54 pm »
ABBA

hutch

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 12:29:34 am »
That’s a good one...

It seems to me they were more popular outside the US though... and they only started around 74 though

Still definitely a contender