Author Topic: 2021 how is going?  (Read 9949 times)

Re: 2021 how is going?
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2021, 01:08:29 pm »
I've worked out every day in 2021, and almost every day in 2020, but my weight keeps creeping up. :(
Define working out...14 mile run with Grateful vs 20 min brisk walk around the neighborhood

At this point, you are doing the right thing with exercise, you should focus on the intake (Higher ABVs, pastry stouts and barrel-aged beers are 350-500 cals per can).  Look for high carb/Sugar things and eat way more leafy greens (watch the salad dressing tho)
What is killing me is the mindless TV eating.
slack

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2021, 03:23:01 pm »
Shoveling is the worst... so many people have heart attacks shoveling ⛄️
very dangerous in Plains Township, Pennsylvania too
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2021, 03:38:27 pm »
I've worked out every day in 2021, and almost every day in 2020, but my weight keeps creeping up. :(
Define working out...14 mile run with Grateful vs 20 min brisk walk around the neighborhood

At this point, you are doing the right thing with exercise, you should focus on the intake (Higher ABVs, pastry stouts and barrel-aged beers are 350-500 cals per can).  Look for high carb/Sugar things and eat way more leafy greens (watch the salad dressing tho)
What is killing me is the mindless TV eating.

20 pushups and 40 situps a day, most days
two sets of 12 reps with free weights every other day, a half dozen different upper body things
3-6 mile run (usually six) two or three times a week
75 min paved trail ride on mountain bike on non-running days
60 mins (supposedly 500 calories burned) on stationary bike (on days when neither running nor biking is possible)
1.77 mile dog walk, daily

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2021, 03:40:51 pm »
FWIW, I'm up to an 18 mile long run, usu Saturday mornings.

Space Freely

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2021, 03:43:01 pm »

How do you avoid arthritis? I was doing a 13 mile run every Saturday morning (and making fun of half-marathoners) up until years ago..but the knee arthritis has slowed me down to a pace where my run is barely faster than my walk, and six miles is as hard as 13 used to be.

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2021, 03:43:53 pm »
Impressive, Space...
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2021, 03:49:35 pm »
Impressive, Space...

Thanks. In spite of working out, I've still gained weight during the pandemic. When I had an office to go to, I limited my food intake to what I brought from home. Now my food intake is limited to whatever I have at home. The biggest culprit is dark chocolate, which I nibble on all day. I also tend to mindlessly shove food in my mouth when i'm cooking, which I do four nights a week.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2021, 03:57:32 pm »

How do you avoid arthritis? I was doing a 13 mile run every Saturday morning (and making fun of half-marathoners) up until years ago..but the knee arthritis has slowed me down to a pace where my run is barely faster than my walk, and six miles is as hard as 13 used to be.

Consider rowers and ellipticals. Far easier on the knees. Of course, you'd be stuck in one place unless you got an actual row boat.
😐 🎶

Space Freely

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2021, 04:07:03 pm »

Consider rowers and ellipticals. Far easier on the knees. Of course, you'd be stuck in one place unless you got an actual row boat.

Thanks. I did the rower at the gym pre-pandemic. I also have back issues, so have to be careful not to overdo it on that. But I really like doing it. I have considered buying one for the house, but haven't pulled the trigger. Would love to have a kayak, if i lived on or near a lake. So usually save the kayaking for vacations.

Ellipticals have always seemed like something that requires much more coordination than I have...

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2021, 04:17:34 pm »
There are ellipticals w/o the arm things. I put very little arm effort in and rely mostly on my legs. I do the opposite on a rower.

From what I've seen, most people adapt to an elliptical right away. It's rowers they seem to eschew much more, thus why they're far less popular in the gym. Adapting to a rower doesn't take long, and once you get it down you can go forever. Plus they're fantastic for the upper body.
😐 🎶

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2021, 04:29:58 pm »
i do about 20 minutes of elliptical a day, 6 days a week.  sometimes up to 40 mins, other times i'll do a 15 minute high-intensity sprint... but it's all elliptical, all the time for me.  wanting to save my knees is the main driver, my family has a history of bad knees and knee replacements.  sometimes bike a few miles with the kids on the weekend, dunno if that counts.

might need to get back into pushups, sit-ups, flailing weights, etc.
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2021, 04:54:41 pm »

Dunno!  I've run 13 marathons in as many years (plus countless half-marathons, 10Ks, etc) and never had any knee problems.  Can't say that my 50+ year old bones won't give out eventually, but in the meantime, I just keep going...

WALKonBack

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2021, 04:57:28 pm »
I'm a Realtor. I have clients who constantly are losing out on contracts even though they're coming in $20,000 to $30,000 above list price. They are losing out to people who are writing contracts on homes (sometimes built in 1900) and waiving all inspections including home inspections / septic inspections / well inspections / any type of inspections and appraisals . . . and just hoping that the house is A-OK when they sign all the papers.

I have clients crying over the phone to me because they've lost out on 6 or more contracts because people will do anything and everything to buy a house now including selling their children.  I'm almost ready to take a break and come back when people aren't so stupid.   Every client I have ever worked with who told me they bought a property in the past without doing a home inspection said it was the worst decision they ever made in their life.

So needless to say . . . Fuck 2021.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2021, 05:54:57 pm »
OTOH, those sweet sweet commissions!

Yada

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2021, 05:56:44 pm »
You should reach out to people in the neighborhood and tell them how much they can make selling their home. Maybe even do it via postcard. - sidefi