Author Topic: The "Do we need a Russia/Ukraine/WWIII thread" thread  (Read 37718 times)

Starsky

Re: The "Do we need a Russia/Ukraine/WWIII thread" thread
« Reply #150 on: November 03, 2022, 01:37:08 pm »
Hard to believe

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2022, 04:53:38 pm »
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2022, 05:46:13 pm »
Although there were great acts of individual courage - mainly by Argentine Air Force pilots- during the Malvinas War, let’s just say Argentines aren’t exactly renown for their bravery.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2022, 11:50:04 pm »
Although there were great acts of individual courage

https://twitter.com/LvivJournal/status/1589001856260657152?s=20

glory to the heroes

as i'm sure you're aware, there are a good number of Ukrainian-Argentines, especially around BA and in Misiones.  ARG has the seventh-largest Ukie diaspora - more than Germany and more than its neighbor Belarus.  so in addition to Argentines who want to fight for a noble cause and/or be war tourists, there is a pool of folks whose sense of cultural attachment compels them to join the fight.  that being said, based on stats that i've seen, ARG isn't in the top 20 of countries that have the most foreign volunteer fighters (top 3: poland, canada, usa).
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #154 on: November 11, 2022, 03:04:23 pm »
great day in the fight against russian fascists: Kherson has been liberated.

this isn't an exaggeration.  check out #Kherson or r/ukraine for vids of pure joy.  helluva street party.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2022, 03:22:49 pm »
oh shit.

a two russian missiles "intended for Ukraine" (likely Lviv) went off course and hit Poland.  two Poles dead.  polish cabinet currently in a "crisis management" meeting.  pundits calling to invoke Article 5, AKA WWIII.  gawd i hope cooler heads prevail. 

Poland has been a HUGE supporter of Ukraine, yet i have to believe that today's events will only boost that support.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 03:47:22 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2022, 10:03:40 am »
oh shit.

Launched by Ukraine in an attempt to shoot down incoming Russian missies.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2022, 08:03:48 pm »
oh shit.

Launched by Ukraine in an attempt to shoot down incoming Russian missies.

which, frankly, is the best possible outcome.  yeah, my lizard-brain wants to see Poland join in and assist in kicking ruzzia's ass (and they're itching to do it, too) - but risk of escalation would be something awful... the muscovites can delude themselves into thinking that they have a chance against Ukrainians under current circumstances (plus, this is a situation of their making to they have to accept most of it).  Poland joining in would have Putin reaching for the big red button since it would be the only card he'd have left to play.
<sig>

« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2022, 09:23:53 pm »
Poland joining in
the big difference you seemed to miss in your commentary is Poland is a member state of NATO
so a strike on Poland, is a strike on the US and Europe
slack

« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2022, 01:54:11 am »
Because I was too lazy to find the Canada thread

https://twitter.com/justintrudeau/status/1594779951034732553
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #161 on: November 25, 2022, 08:11:25 pm »
I mean, wutthafuggahyagonnado?

« Reply #162 on: December 27, 2022, 02:07:22 pm »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #163 on: December 27, 2022, 02:41:32 pm »
^ she slays, as the kids say nowadays...
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #164 on: June 06, 2023, 04:38:55 pm »
russia's war in ukraine has mostly faded from the headlines as of late, but now's a good time to start paying attention again:

- ukrainian-backed russian citizens (now including some poles too!) have invaded russia and are holding territory there.  russian army can't dislodge them.
- wagner has pulled out of bakhmut.  russian army now 100% in defense mode.  ukraine on the move on the flanks of bakhmut.
- UK's recently-gifted storm shadow missiles are having the same effect as HIMARS's arrival last summer: decimating russian logistics, command centers and barracks.
- initial signs of the long-awaited ukrainian counter-offensive now being seen.  ukrainian MoD has requested silence during the kick-off, so limited details coming out (and with the media's obsession of both-siding every story, only the russian MoD's false narratives are being reported... annoying, but it'll blow up in their faces when reality catches up).  things about to get very violent.
- russians have been continuously bombing UA cities, most notably Kyiv, for over a month now.  if it wasn't for Patriot batteries and other air defense, the capital would have been leveled by now.
- the rooskiyz blew up the nova kahovka dam on the dnipro river last night.  huge ecological, economic and humanitarian disaster that will be felt for at least a decade.

unfounded prediction: UA will be blown up the kerch bridge in the next 48 hours using storm shadow, in retaliation for the flooding.

shit is hitting the fan.
<sig>