Author Topic: Trainwreck-Woodstock 99  (Read 1672 times)

Cock Van Der Palm

Trainwreck-Woodstock 99
« on: August 11, 2022, 11:05:04 pm »
Anyone watch this?  What a disaster. Any boardies attend this debacle? 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Trainwreck-Woodstock 99
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 12:06:16 am »
wait, are you just hearing about woodstock'99 for this first time now?
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 07:56:28 am »
wait, are you just hearing about woodstock'99 for this first time now?

I actually was not aware of how it all went down until I saw this movie.

The festival predated me being on this message board, I did not have cable, and I listened to very few of the acts on the bill.

I'm not sure why I hadn't heard more in the intervening 23 years.

I'm glad I'm too old for rock festivals, and my kid has no interest.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 08:10:37 am »
I knew generally what happened, but seeing how this festival was logistically set-up by the promoters is pretty eye-opening at how clueless they were and just cared about the mighty $$.  Michael Lang and Josh Sher come off as either completely clueless douchebags, or just horribly greedy, non-caring douchebags.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 09:15:57 am »
I know a woman who had Woodstock 99 as her first concert at age 14. Went with her 17yo sister. Amazing story.
LVMH

GAY,GUY

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 09:29:28 am »
I am curious, to know . . . if the documentary that I believe HBO did right before this one, was better or worse or so,so?

Edit; what, I think I am confused . . . which documentary was this conversation, in reference to?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 09:31:42 am by Walk,on,by »

Space Freely

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 09:38:31 am »
I am curious, to know . . . if the documentary that I believe HBO did right before this one, was better or worse or so,so?

Edit; what, I think I am confused . . . which documentary was this conversation, in reference to?

The one on Netflix has the sale title as the thread.

How was the HBO one? I have not seen it, but do have HBO. so might watch it this weekend if i can manage to pull myself indoors aware from the amzing weather that is predicted.

evilizac

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 06:01:24 pm »
I knew generally what happened, but seeing how this festival was logistically set-up by the promoters is pretty eye-opening at how clueless they were and just cared about the mighty $$.  Michael Lang and Josh Sher come off as either completely clueless douchebags, or just horribly greedy, non-caring douchebags.
I would say that Lang came across as a clueless douchey yuppie/ex-hippie, but Sher came across as sleazy as you would expect from any kind of "industry insider". Really, you couldn't have foreseen any of the unintended consequences of cutting costs on security, support staff or facilities? I also honestly can't believe that Limp Bizkit has been experiencing a resurgence. . . Well, with the state of the country, maybe I can. 
WHAT?

rich_WDC

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2022, 03:24:55 pm »
I haven't yet seen the doc but I was there at the fest.   

Yep, there were bonfires, Yep, there was some looting (secondhand, I made good of a coupla bottles of soda from some stash), Yep, some titties were groped.
Nothing I experienced, though, was anything close to what the reputation is.     

I finally dug out my journal and there's no indication of anything that rises to the adjectives that have pestered the legacy in the past 20 years.     

It was a big place of course, so my little microcosm from Thursday afternoon through dawn Monday can't be overly representative of the full scope.     Looking at it with modern eyes and today's expectations of festivals (written by the likes of Bonnaroo, Coachella, Lollapalooza this century), Woodstock99 falls way short.   But hard to blame any stakeholder for not knowing what we know now.

Yada

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2022, 10:29:39 am »
Holy shit... I wouldn't have been caught dead there in the 90s and 20+ years later watching this explains so much of America in general. Disgusting from any aspect mixed with God awful music. Is there anything worse than Nu Metal?

Wow.

vansmack

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2022, 07:19:53 pm »

I wondered about this as well as I saw something a while back about this and then watched the Fyre documentary.  I think it was the "Festival Rising" episode of the This is Pop series that touched on this for a bit.
27>34

Starsky

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2022, 02:39:15 pm »
All I remember is how horrible the bands were at these Woodstock’s…

Lolla was so much better