Author Topic: Notable Quotes  (Read 3469 times)

Notable Quotes
« on: July 14, 2003, 11:48:00 am »
So our weekend was packed with some good quotes:

1. After exiting "Pirates of the Caribbean" at Union Station, we heard a little black boy exclaim, "Ooooh, he was GAY pirate."

2. When Guided By Voices were performing at Live on Penn, a 30ish guy in a University of California baseball hat approached us and asked, "Are these the Violent Femmes?"

3. As Guided By Voices played "Glad Girls (I only wanna get you high)" (parentheses are mine, not the band's) this Mexican girl standing next to us (we were on the outside in the nonpaying area where the view was better and we weren't packed in like sardines) asked her black friend "Are they saying 'BLACK Girls'?", They both seemed to surmise that that was what the singer was saying and seemed to be content with that fact...

4. When I was in the bathroom of the A&W/KFC in Rehobeth, my wife overheard the four gay guys next in the booth next to us talking about how when you fart and you accidentally do some shit in your pants. Not sure what the exact quote is, you'd have to ask her.

thirsty moore

Re: Notable Quotes
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 11:51:00 am »
Well, the Violent Femmes have a song called "Black Girls" that John Zorn plays on.

mankie

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 11:57:00 am »
"when you fart and you accidentally do some shit in your pants. Not sure what the exact quote is, you'd have to ask her."

I think the quote is.... "taken it up the bum so many times the bomb bay doors have worn out"...or something like that.

Bags

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 11:58:00 am »
My quotes:

(1) Between Guided by Voices and Femmes, in the voluminous downpour, two guys looked at us in our rain ponchos I had wisely brought along, looked at his friend and said, "Okay, are you in?  This is a poncho-jacking."

(2) Guy who came with us (a Guided by Voices crowd) to see the Femmes, asking during "Glad Girl," "okay, now *what* is he saying."  I looked at him and said, "no, it's not black girl.  It's glad girl."  He nodded largely and as if suddenly very comforted.

(3) Downstairs at Velvet Lounge, about half hour before the Nighties go on, I'm curious as to whether all those peoople are there for the bands or just because it's Velvet on a Saturday night. I decide to ask a guy, "so why are you here tonight, what brought you here."  His answer:  "I'm in two of the bands playing."  Of *course* he's the guy I ask!!  Oy.

(4)  Me to anyone around me at Velvet Lounge, "Would you please get me a can of Busch, I'm not allowed to speak to the bartender."  I had been roundly chastised for trying to order drinks for people behind me at the bar (I was lucky, or unlucky enough, to get a stool).

By the way, Rhett, it was not crowded *at all* for Guided by Voices.  We got up pretty close and had lots of room -- it was a very 'loose' crowd until the Femmes came on.  Just an FYI if you go to see any of the other opening bands.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2003, 11:59:00 am »
Yes, I know. And I tried to convince Celeste that the short weasily guy in hipster glasses who was hitting on the black girl was Gordon Gano, but Celeste wasn't buying it. We left before the Femmes came on.

"Gordon's" pickup line: "What's the name of the band that's playing?"

Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Well, the Violent Femmes have a song called "Black Girls" that John Zorn plays on.

TheNomad

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2003, 05:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:
  My quotes:

(4)  Me to anyone around me at Velvet Lounge, "Would you please get me a can of Busch, I'm not allowed to speak to the bartender."  I had been roundly chastised for trying to order drinks for people behind me at the bar (I was lucky, or unlucky enough, to get a stool).

Unless The Nomad is wrong, and that rarely happens, Velvet doesn't have Busch cans, they have Schlitz cans.  But frankly they rarely have those anymore as they have been out the last 3 times I've been there.

BTW, the bass player and a bunch of the crew from the Jay Farrar show were at Velvet post show on Friday.

Anyone see Farrar and find it weird that he didn't smile or really speak at all for the entire show.  Weird dude.

thirsty moore

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 05:23:00 pm »
Velvet Lounge definitely had Busch in cans on Saturday night.

jadetree

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2003, 05:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by TheNomad:
  Unless The Nomad is wrong, and that rarely happens, Velvet doesn't have Busch cans, they have Schlitz cans.  But frankly they rarely have those anymore as they have been out the last 3 times I've been there.

BTW, the bass player and a bunch of the crew from the Jay Farrar show were at Velvet post show on Friday.

Anyone see Farrar and find it weird that he didn't smile or really speak at all for the entire show.  Weird dude.
When you say "the bass player" are you referring to Anders Parker?  

Jay Farrar isnt known as the friendliest and most sociable guy in the world.  In fact, just the opposite.

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 07:48:40 am »
“As long as your schmeckle works, you feel immortal.”
gene simmons

(could have also gone in the great words thread)
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2023, 08:40:33 am »
gene simmons

This is so fitting on Rosh Hashanah.
LVMH

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2023, 09:46:30 am »
gene simmons

This is so fitting on Rosh Hashanah.

He'll say that nightly during Kiss's Catskill residency.
😐 🎶