Author Topic: Son of Commentary on Just Annouced  (Read 44902 times)

Bags

Re: Son of Commentary on Just Annouced
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2008, 12:09:00 pm »
Okay, I'm a complete idiot.  Without the "Lil" upfront, I couldn't help but read into it a band I'd actually want to see.  And yet, my question does make sense -- how could Bow Wow Wow fill DAR?   ;)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2008, 08:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, certified WEBLEBRITY:
  Stereolab AND Spiritualized coming to 9:30?

It's been a good 24 hours for the Just Announced thread!
actually, it's been an amazing couple of days in the JA thread.

spiritualized: pure awesomeness, so there
 coldplay: yeay
 stereolab: less excited.  caught their last show at the club, and it didn't do much for me - and i'm a big fan.  i'll give them a second chance, tho.
<sig>

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2008, 08:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:

Originally posted by Julian, certified WEBLEBRITY:
  Stereolab AND Spiritualized coming to 9:30?

It's been a good 24 hours for the Just Announced thread!
actually, it's been an amazing couple of days in the JA thread.

spiritualized: pure awesomeness, so there
 coldplay: yeay
 stereolab: less excited.  caught their last show at the club, and it didn't do much for me - and i'm a big fan.  i'll give them a second chance, tho. [/b]
And Tina! Don't forget Tina!
Woof.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2008, 11:23:00 pm »
don't get it - what's funny?  other than the ticket price, that is.  the cirque rules, too bad it's so damn expensive.

Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  ROFLOL

CIRQUE DU SOLEIL
 "Kooza"
 Under the Grand Chapiteau, at The Plateau at National Harbor
 October 30 thru November 16, 2008
 $55-$125 for Adults, various discounts available (students, seniors, kids, etc)

presale on now - join Club Cirque (free) and get instant access
[/b]
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2008, 11:27:00 pm »
I didn't get the humor either. I'd love to go to that but don't see that happening in my future.

nkotb

« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2008, 08:17:00 am »
Joe will stop laughing once BrooklynVegan announces dates.  Then he'll be all over that shit.

don't get it - what's funny?  other than the ticket price, that is.  the cirque rules, too bad it's so damn expensive.

Relaxer

« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2008, 08:56:00 am »
So does anyone know the scoop on the Butthole Surfer show? Is it the full band, a la Paul Leary, King Koffee, that blond chick who looks just like King Koffee and Jeff Pinkus? Or is it with the School of Rock kids? The RnR Show was good but I've only got a few night-out passes right now and have to play'em right.
oword

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2008, 08:57:00 am »
Originally posted by Relaxer:
 but I've only got a few night-out passes right now and have to play'em right.
does this mean you'll be at sword/torch tonight?

one of my married buddies calls them "hall passes".
<sig>

nkotb

« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2008, 09:05:00 am »
From what I"ve seen, it sounds like it's the classic line-up of Teresa, King, Jeff and Gibby, but minus Paul (not sure why) and some of the School of Rock kids.  

Originally posted by Relaxer:
  So does anyone know the scoop on the Butthole Surfer show? Is it the full band, a la Paul Leary, King Koffee, that blond chick who looks just like King Koffee and Jeff Pinkus? Or is it with the School of Rock kids? The RnR Show was good but I've only got a few night-out passes right now and have to play'em right.

Relaxer

« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2008, 09:49:00 am »
  does this mean you'll be at sword/torch tonight?

one of my married buddies calls them "hall passes".
It pains me terribly, but I'm missing this one.
oword

Christine Moritz

« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2008, 10:19:00 am »

Originally posted by dave24:
  Bonnie Raitt

14 - Washington, DC - Club 5
 18 - Baltimore, MD - Ram's Head Live
wtf?  what happened to club 5?  i haven't been in a year if not more, but having a blues/country act perform there definitely wasn't on the bill last i was there.  have they given up on the DJ thing?

i don't remember this being discussed previously, but apologies if it has been. [/b]
I didn't see this post 'til now... I think this was covered in a Washington Post Going Out Gurus blog item a while ago, but I haven't yet located said item.

In the meantime:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2008/05/01/DI2008050103907.html

Washington, D.C.: Last weekend, on a Saturday night around midnight(!), I entered Club Five only to to find it completely empty (except for the bored bartenders). What's going on? Oh, and I paid $10 for the entrance fee, with nobody even bothering to hint that there was not a soul there, on a Sat. night.

Fritz: From what I've heard, the place is hurtin' since Tim and Hooman -- the managers/bookers who made Five the city's best house music club -- were let go. The owners seem to want to bring live music back, and we've got unconfirmed reports of some big names on their way this summer, but that's all we can say for now.

In any case, I've basically stopped recommending it for dancing on weekends.

Christine Moritz

« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2008, 10:26:00 am »
The blog item (from Feb. 2008):

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/goingoutgurus/2008/02/multiple_changes_beginning_at.html

The News at Five
 Big shakeups are ahead at Five after club owner John Boyle parted ways with longtime management team of Tim Sherman and Hooman Pedram, who were responsible for turning the 18th Street venue into a magnet for house music fans.

"The first thing we're going to change is Friday and Thursday nights," explains new Operations Manager Jeff Duke. No final decision has been made about Thursdays, but Friday, currently the domain of house music DJs, whether locals like Tom B or international stars like Dirty Vegas, is going in a new direction. "Friday is going to be more hip-hop, reggae and breaks," Duke explains, "and slowly move into house for the after-hours crowd. We don't want to compete with the other four clubs around us who are playing house."

One adjustment that's going to be far more obvious: Five's super-relaxed dress code is disappearing -- "That's not going to fly anymore," Duke says -- and the club's going to have a stricter door policy. We'll see how that goes.

Washington's club community has been buzzing about the new management, especially because one of its first acts was to remove Wednesday night's appearance by legendary English drum 'n' bass DJ Fabio from the schedule. (It was moved to the neighboring lounge Andalu, which is a fraction of the size of Five.) Duke claims the show was relocated because Five was going to lose money on Fabio's appearance, while promoter Bobby Jae Chun, who also DJing at the event, told me before the event that the change wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, because Five was having sound issues over the weekend -- a view that's been echoed on some Internet message boards.

Despite the problems with Fabio, Duke and Chun say everything looks good for next month's drum 'n' bass blowout with groundbreaking DJ Andy C, the well-known duo Ed Rush & Optical and the buzzed-about Sub Focus. "Everything [on the calendar] in March will still be going on," Duke says.

Still, those assurances haven't stopped rumors about Five's new direction from flying all over the scene; High-ranking employees at nearby nightspots and DJs who've previously spun at Five have independently told me that they've heard the space was going to become a live music venue. (Before Five opened, the building housed a concert hall called the Garage.)

Duke dismisses those ideas. "The club is still open," he says, "but we're in the process of cleaning house." Right now, his agenda includes a new design for the interior, new sound and lighting, staffing changes and possibly switching the promoters who run the club's various events. Watch this space for more information.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »
  CIRQUE DU SOLEIL
 "Kooza"
 Under the Grand Chapiteau, at The Plateau at National Harbor
 October 30 thru November 16, 2008
 $55-$125 for Adults, various discounts available (students, seniors, kids, etc)
i saw Kooza last night in philly - amazing.  arguably mind-blowing.  despite the price tag, highly highly recommended.  the acrobatics, the costumes, the music, the lighting effects... totally psychedelic.  

two suggestions:
 1) center seats, even at the back, are better than anything up close on the sides.  the back of section 200 and inner 201/202 are a good value, relatively speaking, the tent isn't that big.  also, avoid seats along the aisle between 102/104, and 202/204.  for one number they put up some safety equipment that partially blocks the view of people sitting in that area.
 2) don't have a big meal before seeing the show.  better yet, plan to eat afterwards.  i've seen the  cirque many times, but this was by far the most adrenaline-packed/stressful performance i've witnessed.  it's as if they made a conscious effort to find new and innovative ways to almost kill themselves.  i swear the show gave me mild indigestion... uh, in a good way, if that's at all possible    :)
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2008, 01:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
 What's Ulrich Schnauss' live setup like anyway?
no idea.  i'd assume the typical laptop + controller keyboard + a few pieces of outboard gear.  the two pix from 2005 on his Wikipedia page seem to back this up.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2008, 01:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  First night of Abba cancelled.
First Coldplay, now ABBA.  I predict a (gay) riot.
27>34