Author Topic: Stellastarr*  (Read 11249 times)

Fico

Re: Stellastarr*
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2004, 06:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by ballsock:
  Are there any indie bands whose members didn't go to a prep school, a chi-chi art school, or have parents who own modelling agencies? You know, folks who come from a working class background?
I think the notion that unless you come from a working class background your music or beliefs lack credibility is utterly stupid...

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2004, 06:38:00 pm »
I never claimed that where an artist comes from indicates credibility.

I'm just saying that nearly all indie artists appear to have come from silver spoon backgrounds.

Originally posted by Fico:

Are there any indie bands whose members didn't go to a prep school, a chi-chi art school, or have parents who own modelling agencies? You know, folks who come from a working class background?
I think the notion that unless you come from a working class background your music or beliefs lack credibility is utterly stupid... [/b]

Random Citizen

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2004, 08:34:00 pm »
You make it sound like such a bad thing. To some extent, they have to come from that kind of background in order to afford instruments, the ability to not work a regular full-time job and tour outside of their immediate area.

I'm just saying that nearly all indie artists appear to have come from silver spoon backgrounds.

markie

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2004, 04:02:00 pm »
So Stellastarr* will be hosting Subterranean on Sunday night?

Does anyone have any questions they would like to ask Stellastarr, like why the stupid fucking* at* the* end*?

Bags

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2004, 04:05:00 pm »
I was talking about that stupid f'ing *, and my friend pointed out that I'm the knob that always types it in when I send out my list of shows!  Ooooh, caught.

Hey, how's the album?

markie

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2004, 04:06:00 pm »
I really like it. I am a sucker for the 80s though.

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2004, 04:07:00 pm »
What exactly did I say that made it sound like a bad thing?

Originally posted by Random Citizen:
  You make it sound like such a bad thing. To some extent, they have to come from that kind of background in order to afford instruments, the ability to not work a regular full-time job and tour outside of their immediate area.

[/b]

ggw

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2004, 04:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's ballshine:

Just the general ignorance of the statement.

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2004, 04:14:00 pm »
What was ignorant about it? It HAS been my observation when reading articles about various indie rock bands, that the members do tend to come from more privileged family backgrounds...typically more so than artists in other genres such as metal, country, hip hop, etc.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Just the general ignorance of the statement. [/b]

markie

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2004, 04:17:00 pm »
  What was ignorant about it? It HAS been my observation when reading articles about various indie rock bands, that the members do tend to come from more privileged family backgrounds...typically more so than artists in other genres such as metal, country, hip hop, etc.

Perhaps you have to be more intelligent to be a succesful "indie" star? I dont buy the correlation you are suggesting. If I did I would suggest that brighter well educated people were obviously drawn to indie to the detriment of country, rap, etc.

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2004, 04:20:00 pm »
Since when does going to a prep school equate with being more intelligent?

Originally posted by mark e smith:

Perhaps you have to be more intelligent to be a succesful "indie" star? I dont buy the correlation you are suggesting. If I did I would suggest that brighter well educated people were obviously drawn to indie to the detriment of country, rap, etc. [/b]

Bags

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2004, 04:21:00 pm »
  I would suggest that brighter well educated people were obviously drawn to indie
Well that's true.    :D  

So the stellastarr website streams songs....

"Jenny" -- wow, is that XTC with a bit of screaming thrown in?  Yes, it *is*.  And a wee bit of distorted guitar....  

[Speaking of, I have more XTC at home that's not in iTunes yet; I will work on that...]

ggw

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2004, 04:24:00 pm »

blah blah blah generalization, blah blah blah ambiguous overstatement; blah blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda.

How 'bout some specifics?  Stellastarr*, The Strokes.........who else?

markie

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2004, 04:25:00 pm »
  Since when does going to a prep school equate with being more intelligent?

You are more likely to be well educated and therefore intelligent if your parents are wealthy. But you know that, right? The same way you are more likely to live longer and not be given a death sentence if you are wealthy.

Who went to a prep school?

ggw

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2004, 04:27:00 pm »
 Who went to a prep school?
:D  

And we all know I'm far more intelligent than that farmer's boy.