Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1411922 times)

lagas

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #360 on: April 20, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »
Lots of debate whether this goal might be better than Maradona's in 1986 against England.
First, Maradona's goal was against one of the best defense of the world at the time, and second, it was against England (remember the falklands-malvinas war).
 Even when Messi's goal is amazing, there's no comparison between Getafe and England...
zorra

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #361 on: April 20, 2007, 07:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by lagos:

Lots of debate whether this goal might be better than Maradona's in 1986 against England.
First, Maradona's goal was against one of the best defense of the world at the time, and second, it was against England (remember the falklands-malvinas war).
 Even when Messi's goal is amazing, there's no comparison between Getafe and England... [/b]
Don't forget he scored with his hand!!!!  :mad:  

Or are you thinking about that other one that a whole nations seems to survive off, especially after we totally kicked their arses in what they called a war but we considered a minor scuffle.

lagas

« Reply #362 on: April 20, 2007, 10:00:00 pm »
Or are you thinking about that other one that a whole nations seems to survive off, especially after we totally kicked their arses in what they called a war but we considered a minor scuffle.  
I dont care about the outcome of the malvinas war, maradona's goal against England in 1986 was and is beautiful, you cant deny that...if you find pride because England won the minor scuffle, good for you...
 Tha fact is that a lot of people is comparing that goal with Messi's goal, which is also pretty much incredible and they both look alike..but they cant be compared, I mean come on, Peter Shilton, pretty much the best goalkeeper at the time, and you cant deny that Argentina won that 1986 World Cup. thats also a historic fact.
zorra

brennser

« Reply #363 on: April 22, 2007, 01:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  And to the Toonies, don't let me down - I have faith in you!

All hail the Toonies!!!

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #364 on: April 23, 2007, 09:40:00 am »

I dont care about the outcome of the malvinas war, maradona's goal against England in 1986 was and is beautiful, you cant deny that...if you find pride because England won the minor scuffle, good for you...
 Tha fact is that a lot of people is comparing that goal with Messi's goal, which is also pretty much incredible and they both look alike..but they cant be compared, I mean come on, Peter Shilton, pretty much the best goalkeeper at the time, and you cant deny that Argentina won that 1986 World Cup. thats also a historic fact. [/b]
That was 1986....it's now 2007, find something else to live off or doesn't that shithole of a country have anything other than some fat, alcoholic drugged up has-been who's on his death bead in a nuthouse?

Maybe you should go support Brasil like the rest of S. America.

As for the toon army "howay the lads!!!

lagas

« Reply #365 on: April 23, 2007, 01:51:00 pm »
and who should you support then?, Italy, France?, when was the last time that England won a World Cup?, oh wait, that was TWO decades before 1986...

I dont care about Maradona, and I agree that his current condition is pathetic, but he was one of the best soccer players, if not the best, of the world...its true that the guy has been getting high since then, but his left leg was magical, and if that bothers you, well, get over it...
zorra

vansmack

« Reply #366 on: April 23, 2007, 04:00:00 pm »
I like them both, but I'm partial to this one, given the 90th minute of a Final against Arsenal.  And he wasn't coked up at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgHi3D7OjNs
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #367 on: April 23, 2007, 04:22:00 pm »
just really hairy?
o/\o

brennser

« Reply #368 on: April 23, 2007, 04:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  I like them both, but I'm partial to this one, given the 90th minute of a Final against Arsenal.  And he wasn't coked up at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgHi3D7OjNs
I don't think  it was the final - more like a quarter final reply or something like that - doesn't take away from the brilliance of the goal though

lagas

« Reply #369 on: April 23, 2007, 04:42:00 pm »
I like them both, but I'm partial to this one, given the 90th minute of a Final against Arsenal. And he wasn't coked up at the time.
well, we can find great goals everywhere...
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEOFxq2vbiw
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgqsaDnsEq8

I personally like the spectacular ones...
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O2nEZAb_Mk
zorra

brennser

« Reply #370 on: April 23, 2007, 04:47:00 pm »
did someone say spectacular?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sca7Zbsh_U

godsshoeshine

« Reply #371 on: April 23, 2007, 05:15:00 pm »
I haven't felt that good since Archie Gemmill scored against Holland in 1978!
o/\o

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #372 on: April 23, 2007, 06:00:00 pm »

and who should you support then?, Italy, France?, when was the last time that England won a World Cup?, oh wait, that was TWO decades before 1986...

I dont care about Maradona, and I agree that his current condition is pathetic, but he was one of the best soccer players, if not the best, of the world...its true that the guy has been getting high since then, but his left leg was magical, and if that bothers you, well, get over it... [/b]
Actually, his left hand was better than his left foot!

I'm sorry...just were did I mention 1966?

England are notorious under-achievers, and if you've seen any of my previous comments on the subject you'll find that I am consistent with that point of view of my national team. On paper England should've walked the last world cup, but if you field a team with players out of position at that level it is a sure way of failure. The manager was the weakest link, and who do they put in to replace him???? His bloody assistant for crying out loud!!!! Look how they're struggling to even qualify for Euro with that chump at the helm?

Argentina, player for player, are superior to Brasil (imho) but the difference is Brasil play as a team and Argentina play as 11 individuals. Apart from that spectacular goal, which I consider the best goal of the competition...don't remember who it was against but it was a cracker, about 7 different players involved before a sweet, sweet finish. Apart from that moment of inspiration Argentina were very disapointing.

I have a dislike for Argentina because, well, I'm English. I'm sure you have a dislike for England because it seems you are either Argentine, or a supporter of Argentina, and that's fine.....but I still love to talk football and will speak my mind and what I believe is the truth regardless of loyalties.....except for the scumbags Liverpool....tossers Arsenal....and complete and utter wankers Chelski!!!    :D

vansmack

« Reply #373 on: April 23, 2007, 06:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:
  I don't think  it was the final - more like a quarter final reply or something like that - doesn't take away from the brilliance of the goal though
You are correct, sir.

Manchester United 2-1 Arsenal
 The FA Cup, Semi-Final Replay
 Aston Villa FC, Villa Park
 14 April 1999

Manchester United achieved an unprecedented "Treble" in 1999 but were living dangerously towards the end of their FA Cup Semi-Final replay with Arsenal at Villa Park.

The first match, also at Villa, had failed to produce a result - or a goal - in two hours of football.

Three days later David Beckham broke the deadlock with a United opener on 17 minutes, which Arsenalā??s Dutch master Dennis Bergkamp cancelled out midway through the second half.

In a pulsating last few minutes of normal time United battled to hold on after Roy Keaneā??s dismissal. Right at the death Arsenal were awarded a spot-kick but Peter Schmeichel dived full-length to his left to beat away Bergkampā??s shot.

Then, as if we hadnā??t seen enough drama already, Ryan Giggs scored an extra-time winner of breathtaking brilliance. The Welsh winger drove a left-footer past Seaman after a mazy run that had begun near the halfway line.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #374 on: April 23, 2007, 06:43:00 pm »
I prefer goals of skill and timing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnXuZiRixpQ

Where were you when Ole Gunnar won Europe for Manchester United?

I was at the Rock in DC, across the street from the then MCI Arena.  My first born will be named Ole Gunnar (yes, I have a lot of work to do on Smackette for that one!).
27>34