Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1366190 times)

brennser

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2006, 03:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by brennser:
  at the rate the injuries are piling up I'm getting myself into shape for a last minute call up!!
     :D  
It might have helped, actually. Despite the injury, I never would have thought that would be the result.  Embarrassing. [/b]
agreed, as a former Irish Prime Minister once said, grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre, and unprecedented.....truly a pitiful performance

brennser

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2006, 04:31:00 pm »
smackie, I need my weekend footy schedule!!   ;)

Venerable Bede

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2006, 04:46:00 pm »
  smackie, I need my weekend footy schedule!!    ;)  
unfortunately, smackie is in socal this weekend.  

all i got is that the tigers/cards game starts at 8:05 eastern on saturday.  unless you want me to go through college football.
OU812

bigyellow100

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2006, 05:07:00 pm »
ALLEZ-LE LOSC!

Barcelona

« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2006, 10:24:00 am »
I think this weekend you should try to watch this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=AoDOQmUG8fVL21jEhvzRZ.8mw7YF?slug=reu-spain_preview&prov=reuters&type=lgns

PREVIEW-Soccer-Real out to heal wounds against champions Barca

By Simon Baskett

MADRID, Oct 19 (Reuters) - Nothing hurts Real Madrid more than having to live in the shadow of arch-rivals Barcelona and a victory in this Sunday's 'clasico' at the Bernabeu would go a long way to healing the wounds from the last three seasons.

The last time Barca visited Real Madrid's stadium they dealt the home side a humiliating 3-0 defeat which ended with Ronaldinho being given a standing ovation by the irate home fans after he scored a sublime double.

That defeat was, in many ways, the low point of Real's so-called Galactico era and was one of the events that prompted the eventual exit of former president Florentino Perez.

After witnessing the collapse of their attempt to put together an all-star team based on glamorous big-name players and attack-minded football, Real have now opted for a back-to-basics approach under new coach Fabio Capello.

The Italian has been charged with the task of introducing a disciplined, conservative approach based on a solid defence and a well ordered midfield rather than the more anarchic style that has characterised the team's performances in recent years.

The change has yet to produce consistent results and the new-look team slumped to their first league defeat of the campaign when they lost 1-0 at Getafe last Saturday.

Ronaldo, the club's leading striker for the last four seasons, was sent off for back chat to the referee and will miss the Barca match through suspension.

But the team were a completely different proposition in Tuesday's 4-1 away win over former European champions Steaua Bucharest, the presence of Brazilian forward Robinho adding a new dimension to the Real attack.

"We saw a team with quality and spirit and that is what counts," said Capello. "Now I'm happy.

"I said we had to forget the performance against Getafe because we can't play like that ever again. Instead, we saw a Real Madrid that played with pace and skill."

HUMILIATING DEFEAT

After back-to-back league titles and victory in the Champions League last season, Barcelona appear to have lost some of their edge.

A humiliating 3-0 defeat by Sevilla in the European Super Cup was an early sign of vulnerability and Wednesday's morale-sapping 1-0 setback at Chelsea exposed another chink in the previously impervious Barcelona armour.

Without injured striker Samuel Eto'o, Barca no longer find it so easy to punch holes in opposition defences.

Also, coaches like Juande Ramos and Jose Mourinho have shown that tight marking of Ronaldinho and suffocating pressure in midfield are the secret to success against the Catalans.

Although they are not firing on all cylinders, Frank Rijkaard's side still have a three-point lead at the top of the Primera Liga, and are five points clear of Real after last Sunday's morale-boosting 3-1 victory over Sevilla.

Barca know another victory over Real will dispel any doubts about the team.

"The Chelsea defeat was an accident against a very good team, nothing more," said skipper Carles Puyol. "Things can be sorted out with a victory at the Bernabeu."

Real's biggest enemy could be overconfidence after their comfortable win against Steaua.

"I've told the players that we have the best squad in the world, that no one can beat us if we put our minds to it," Real president Ramon Calderon told Marca on Thursday. "I'm certain that we will beat Barca."

Updated on Thursday, Oct 19, 2006 6:01 am EDT

vansmack

« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2006, 04:17:00 pm »
  smackie, I need my weekend footy schedule!!    ;)  
Yes, my bad!  Rough week.  There was only English match worth watching anyway....

I do have an ITVN update as well.  They're adding On-Demand to watch the Setanta matches later in the day or up to a week (I believe) so that you don't have to watch them all live.  Good move on their part.

Here's the mid week "clashes" - boy do I hate the Carling Cup.

TUESDAY

2:30pm Chesterfield vs West Ham - Carling Cup (Set)

WEDNESDAY

2:00pm Crewe vs Man Utd - Carling Cup (Set)
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2006, 04:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by Barcelona:
Woops.  Looks like Becks on the bench might be the key....
27>34

brennser

« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2006, 04:54:00 pm »

smackie, I need my weekend footy schedule!!     ;)  
Yes, my bad!  Rough week.  There TUESDAY

[/b]
so if West Ham lose this one I would imagine Pardews position becomes pretty untenable, no?

brennser

« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2006, 08:36:00 pm »

smackie, I need my weekend footy schedule!!      ;)    
Yes, my bad!  Rough week.  There TUESDAY

[/b]
so if West Ham lose this one I would imagine Pardews position becomes pretty untenable, no? [/b]
well they lost....now lets see what happens

Barcelona

« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2006, 01:52:00 pm »

Originally posted by Barcelona:
Woops.  Looks like Becks on the bench might be the key.... [/b]
Still haven't visited any sports website since Sunday. It is taking long to recover from those two losses last week.

vansmack

« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2006, 05:58:00 pm »
  well they lost....now lets see what happens
They've got to sack him - to lose after sitting his Argentine Duo and scoring the early goal is just unacceptable.

We've come a long way from the initial discussions of the Hammers qualifying for Europe after Argentine signing...
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2006, 11:57:00 am »
This Weeks English Premiereship TV Schedule:

Sat.  Oct 28  

7:30am Sheff Utd vs Chelsea (Set)
 10:00 a.m.  Liverpool  vs. Aston Villa  (FSC)
 10:00am Bolton vs Man Utd (Set)
 10:00am Arsenal vs Everton (Set Xtra â?? D*TV channel 670)
 12:00 p.m.  Newcastle  vs. Charlton  (FSC)
 2:30 p.m.  Watford vs. Tottenham (FSC)

Sun.  Oct 29  

11:00 a.m. West Ham  vs. Blackburn (FSC)
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2006, 12:57:00 pm »
  This Weeks English Premiereship TV Schedule:

Sat.  Oct 28  

10:00 a.m.  Liverpool  vs. Aston Villa  (FSC)
 10:00am Bolton vs Man Utd (Set)
 10:00am Arsenal vs Everton (Set Xtra â?? D*TV channel 670)
 12:00 p.m.  Newcastle  vs. Charlton  (FSC)

so, does that mean we'll be flipping back and forth between those and the mizzou/ou game and ND/navy game?
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2006, 02:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  so, does that mean we'll be flipping back and forth between those and the mizzou/ou game and ND/navy game?
Nope - those times are Eastern.  I'll be watching United at 7AM PT and we can watch college football uninterrupted starting at 9AM PT.

I can watch the rest on Sunday morning with my extra hour before the NFL.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2006, 09:37:00 pm »
magpies need to stop sucking at soccer
o/\o