Author Topic: Bloc Party  (Read 9425 times)

chokeychicken

Bloc Party
« on: June 17, 2005, 04:25:00 am »
Was I the only one who was extremely unimpressed with Bloc Party tonight?  I thought every single song (minus maybe Bluest Light) was played entirely too fast live, and the lead singer just sounded horrible.  

Oh, and then of course there was the DC crowd, who didn't move at all.  I felt like I was watching Death Cab or something.  Since when are kids too fucking cool to dance at a Bloc party show?

Most dissapointing show I've been to in a long time.

sonickteam2

Re: Bloc Party
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 08:35:00 am »
how did i know i would read this on here somewhere this morning...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 09:01:00 am »
i didn't see the show last night but based on seeing Bloc Party at the Black Cat and Merriweather, the band gets extra points from me for being able to strip away the studio gloss applied to their songs and have punky energy in concert. whats the point of doing something live exactly as it was recorde, especially seeing as the album is overly produced.

<tongue-in-check> guess the "real" bloc party fans got shutout this time around, because at black cat the audience was dancing, hooting and having a gay old time...
T.Rex

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 09:06:00 am »
If the band was unimpressive, why blame the audience for the lack of dancing?

Originally posted by chokeychicken:
  Was I the only one who was extremely unimpressed with Bloc Party tonight?  I thought every single song (minus maybe Bluest Light) was played entirely too fast live, and the lead singer just sounded horrible.  

Oh, and then of course there was the DC crowd, who didn't move at all.  I felt like I was watching Death Cab or something.  Since when are kids too fucking cool to dance at a Bloc party show?

Most dissapointing show I've been to in a long time.

TomJaworski

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 09:25:00 am »
Bloc Party was great. Kele is an exceptional rock vocalist. He and the drummer are reasons why they are above the rest of the post-punk acts currently popping up. They do speed up their songs during their live act, but it just shows you they have a lot of energy which makes their performance more fun to watch. Unfortuantely, they are already attracting the douche-bag set that took Interpol two years to attract.

bearman🐻

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 09:30:00 am »
I was unimpressed to be honest. Maybe it was an off-night, and it wasn't that it was a bad performance...it was just lacking something that made the record so good. It seemed very sterile to me for some reason. I dunno. Maybe I was just tired from a long week (like many of the others). Sometimes I'll just go to check out a band and I don't have the desire to move around (or perhaps I just blew my wad at the Pixies show and wasn't feeling it). Now THAT was a great performance.

ledererk

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 09:32:00 am »
I thought Bloc Party was great last night and I thoroughly enjoyed the performance - more so than the album.  There were a lot of uptight people there though.  Some really sad, angry wannabe hipster tried to yell at me for "crowding him"...um, welcome to the world of sold-out shows, dude.  I tried not to step on him too much during my dancing.  

And what the hell is up with the constant picture-taking?  Yeah, I think 10 pictures will suffice to show your little friends that you saw Bloc Party.  Please stop now.  Please.  But all in all, despite the crowd, it was an enjoyable night.

Bartelby

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 09:38:00 am »
Well, this douche bag had a great time last night.  I'm a relatively new fan, but then I'm such a lemming that I can only like groups endorsed by the forum AFTER they're no longer cool.  BTW:  The people in my section at the upstairs bar were dancing their asses off - as well as we could in a packed crowd.  SIGHHHHHHHH.  Their style is NOT melodic a la Coldplay  - they're much edgier - I heard influences from all over the road last night:  Devo, the Jam, Echo and the B'men; some sonic Verve styling.  They sound pretty unique to me.  I loved the drummer and lead quitar...btw: What was hanging off the guitar when they returned for the encore?  It sure looked funny from far away....I thought last night's crowd was unusually polite, well behaved and really digging on the music...but I guess it depended on the "neighborhood" in Douchbagland.    :roll:

jbcapati

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 09:46:00 am »
I thought the show was great...a lot of energy from the band, and at least parts of the crowd reciprocated.  My first time seeing them and I was not dissapointed.

If you want to judge for yourself or relive the show, you can hear a streaming version of the concert on NPR's website.  The show will be available as a free MP3 download in the near future.  Now that's pretty cool.

ggw

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 09:55:00 am »
Originally posted by BadSushi:
 I thought last night's crowd was unusually polite, well behaved and really digging on the music.
Ditto.  

For an "it band" show, I noticed remarkably little gabbing, picture taking, etc...

I thought the band was solid; 8.0 Z's.  I wasn't disappointed at all.

ttuamy

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 09:57:00 am »
does anyone remember the names of the two opening bands?

bearman🐻

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 09:59:00 am »

MaLo

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 09:59:00 am »
I thought the show was really great...i was pleasantly surprised...i wasn't sure what to expect but they did a good job.  I even thought the crowd in my section (left in front of the stage) was tolerable too(douche bag free, short), and they were all boogying down.

What was hanging off the guitar when they returned for the encore? It sure looked funny from far away....  
a flower

xcanuck

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 10:08:00 am »
I was underwhelmed by Bloc Party. not saying they're bad - just not my cup of tea.

The openers were Automato (really f**king horrible rap. Made me want to ram knitting needles into my ears. We escaped downstairs. ugh.). Second opener was Engineer who I liked ALOT. They were my favorite band of the night. Some of the noisier bits went on a tad too long but overall some solid musicianship there.

The whole evening kinda had me wishing I had gone to Bettie Serveert at the Black Cat instead. Ah, well...

Arthwys

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 10:16:00 am »
Shout-out to BadSushi for scoring me a ticket!  I enjoyed the show a lot, though not as much as the Black Cat show.  I agree that more people were dancing and generally moving more at the BC than last night.  Also, a friend of mine who was at both last night and the BC show w/ me, managed to see them in Portland a week or two ago, and said that the crowd there was going absolutely bonkers.  Much more so than at the BC!  And here's the weird part, PORTLAND WASN'T SOLD OUT.  

I too was at the front left, right next to the stage.  I was the bloke in the absurdly colourful striped shirt.  I was amazed at how short the people around me were, we literally had at least 4-5 girls that were shorter than 5 foot.

One last gripe, through...someone gave Kele a dollar to play Plans, which wasn't on the setlist.  They played it, but it replaced "Into the Blue" a new song!  And this show was recorded!  And going onto mp3!  Argh!  Oh well, can't win 'em all.
Emrys