Author Topic: Jayhawks  (Read 1982 times)

ratioci nation

Jayhawks
« on: January 20, 2004, 04:10:00 pm »
Anybody heard any reports from this tour?  I was not going to go because I have already seen them 3 times playing a lot of the same material and the last show at 9:30 was the worst of the 3, but I did not get Old 97s tickets in time and another show was cancelled this week.  Any compelling reasons I should attend?

Oh and Josh Rouse is not really a big draw for me either, although his first album is alright.

Re: Jayhawks
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 04:17:00 pm »
This is where we'll be Wed, probably at about a third of the ticket price...

I wonder if any dirty Mexicans will insist on buying my wife a drink even after she refuses and follow her around this time...

http://www.halfmoonbbq.com/c/bbq/schedule.html

ratioci nation

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 04:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:

I wonder if any dirty Mexicans will insist on buying my wife a drink even after she refuses and follow her around this time...

Despite the fact they released the #5 album of 2003 in your opinion?

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 04:34:00 pm »

>>>I'm not a dirty Mexican but I'd be happy to buy your wife a drink Wed. night!  :D

Celeste

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 04:39:00 pm »
woo hoo!

Celeste

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 04:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:
  Despite the fact they released the #5 album of 2003 in your opinion?
I will venture to speak for Rhett here...They just weren't that great live the time we saw them, and we missed the last Wayne Hancock show we were supposed to see. His little band is great live!

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 04:45:00 pm »
Just a rotten honky, eh?

Originally posted by imrotten:

>>>I'm not a dirty Mexican but I'd be happy to buy your wife a drink Wed. night!   :D  [/b]

twangirl

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 05:20:00 pm »
I'm probably going to see Wayne The Train instead of the Jayhawks, I've also found them less interesting than previously. Wayne, on the other hand, is always a good time. I haven't tried the Half Moon BBQ, should I?

grotty

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 05:23:00 pm »
My 2 cents - I like the band. I like the records.
 I was bored when I saw them earlier this year.
 If you've seen them - save the dollars.
 Not enjoying the show has tainted my appreciation.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 05:25:00 pm »
The food, or the venue?

We're vegetarians, so can't comment on the meat, but my wife ordered some cheese fries last time we were there that  she really has a hankering to eat again...

Originally posted by twangirl:
  I'm probably going to see Wayne The Train instead of the Jayhawks, I've also found them less interesting than previously. Wayne, on the other hand, is always a good time. I haven't tried the Half Moon BBQ, should I?

JGatz

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 06:06:00 pm »
By the "last time you saw them" are you refering to the two times they opened for someone, I can't remember who it was, or the time the Thorns opened for the Jayhawks.  I was at that show and thought they did a pretty good job.  I liked the Thorns as well.

ratioci nation

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2004, 06:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by JGatz:
  By the "last time you saw them" are you refering to the two times they opened for someone, I can't remember who it was, or the time the Thorns opened for the Jayhawks.  I was at that show and thought they did a pretty good job.  I liked the Thorns as well.
last time I saw them was headlining with the Thorns.  I did not think it was anywhere near as good as the 2 times I have seen them at the Birchmere.  And personally, I found the Thorns to be atrocious, Shawn Mullins is a jackass.

JGatz

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2004, 03:41:00 pm »
Did anyone on the board go?  I was too tired to go.   How was the show?

TheNomad

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2004, 06:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by JGatz:
  Did anyone on the board go?  I was too tired to go.   How was the show?
I went at the last minute, much much better show than the previous few.  I felt like the rest of you, music is great but live is lacking.  However, this show had higher energy, more rocking, played a bunch of the older, rarer tunes, even pulled out the flying-v for some numbers.  Well worth it.  Louris said something about last time he'd be seeing us for a while, so maybe they're taking a long break and are trying to go out in style.

Mongo

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 07:09:00 pm »
It was pretty good.  I have never really listened to them but I but I enjoyed the show.  I can't really give a good review since i know very little about them but they sounded extremely well rehearsed, as they should from amount of touring as they have been doing and how long they have been together.  As said before, they put on a good show but I don't see myself going to see them again unless I get hooked on them for some reason.  Josh Rouse was excellent as an opener.  I had no idea Jack Osbourne could play bass so well!