Author Topic: Shut up  (Read 4535 times)

twangirl

Re: Shut up
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2004, 06:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by J'Mal:
   and then the nerds are a bit more sensitive...
Call me a cynic, but I don't think the people who talk through shows are capable of being more senstive to others. They are way too self-inportant. I don't think an announcement would make a bit of difference.

Bags

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2004, 06:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by twangirl:

and then the nerds are a bit more sensitive...
Call me a cynic, but I don't think the people who talk through shows are capable of being more senstive to others. They are way too self-inportant. I don't think an announcement would make a bit of difference. [/b]
I don't know, I think I disagree -- at least for some.  I think some people think of the 9:30 club as a bar/venue rather than a theater/venue, and don't really think that it's a show and people are there to *listen*.  I think an announcement would raise a few people's awareness.  

Getting the folks who sing along loudly to quit - now that would be an exercise in futility.

Sir HC

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2004, 06:42:00 pm »
One word, Tasers.  That might stop some of these people.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2004, 01:32:00 pm »
A lot of people are habitually annoying at concerts, but because with your average band these days there are no quiet parts, so none of that behavior really gets noticed.   But when a band comes along that does have quiet parts, these people have no idea that they have to behave differently.

My other favorite (not) are the assholes who feel they have to shout "woo" during quiet parts.

I don't think these people are self-important, I think they're just stupid clods.

http://www.alex.to/lavalampcity
_\|/_

mankie

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2004, 02:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by Doctor Doom:
  A lot of people are habitually annoying at concerts, but because with your average band these days there are no quiet parts, so none of that behavior really gets noticed.   But when a band comes along that does have quiet parts, these people have no idea that they have to behave differently.

My other favorite (not) are the assholes who feel they have to shout "woo" during quiet parts.

I don't think these people are self-important, I think they're just stupid clods.

http://www.alex.to/lavalampcity
Hecklers! Hecklers are morons....unless you're heckling a comedian because that just gives them ammunition to ridicule the heckler.  ;)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2004, 07:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by Doctor Doom:

WRNR is strangely fond of playing a live version of Costello's "Alison" (probably a bonus on a recent Rhino reissue) that features the Worst Audience Ever. How is it that so many people don't know how to STFU?
😐 🎶

eltee

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2004, 10:54:00 am »
True...I recently obtained a live copy of a show, and my favorite song is ruined in the second verse, by  "yeaaahhhhh!!!! woo hoo!!!!!!!!!". I know it's a live recording, and thus adds to the "experience"...I'm bummed nonetheless.
 I know this topic is "shut up", but I'd also like to see people have enough manners to move at least 2 inches out of the way when I'm trying to get through the crowd. Especially at a sold out show. I say "excuse me", people look at me and don't budge. I'm not trying to take "your spot". I simply might need to go to the john or to get a glass of water.

Jaguär

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2004, 01:28:00 pm »
Have to agree that a non-band member making the announcement would not work. In fact, the quickest way for the coolest DJ to lose his cred is to announce bands at shows. It's just one of those anti-establishment things to naturally dislike these people. And I agree with Twangirl that a lot of these people are way too narcissistic to think that the rules or proper etiquitte applies to them.

Personally, I think a great solution to all those fools who over-use cell phones would be to make them work a job that requires them to answer incoming calls at a rate that is a bit faster than the job has properly allowed time for. (There's tons of them!) This should cure them of jumping to satisfy every caller's whims. You'll find they'll be much more likely to depend on the off switch than ever before.

eltee

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2004, 01:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:

Hey seth, why not just make a little announcement before the show, like, please be respectful of folks who are here to listen to the music.  it  doesnt have to be like the shushmere or anything... just, make people aware... i'll bet the announcement gets a big cheer from the crowd and then the nerds are a bit more sensitive...
And who will make this request?  The sound man, Thatguy, some HFS dj?  I know I wouldn't want to be the one saying it to a crowd of punks.  These @$$holes will talk through the announcement and not realize what was said. [/b]
Maybe put up a general sign in the club? It's a start.

ratioci nation

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2004, 05:55:00 pm »

flawd101

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2004, 05:57:00 pm »
[/qb][/QUOTE]
 Getting the folks who sing along loudly to quit  [/QB][/QUOTE]

yes, but would ruin the concert. most people in the front sing loudly....i dont know ablout other sections. but it is fun. (but not amazingly loud)

paige

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2004, 07:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by El Tee:

I know this topic is "shut up", but I'd also like to see people have enough manners to move at least 2 inches out of the way when I'm trying to get through the crowd. Especially at a sold out show. I say "excuse me", people look at me and don't budge. I'm not trying to take "your spot". I simply might need to go to the john or to get a glass of water.
that really really really pisses me off too! i'm like "excuse me" and people just stare at me like i'm from another planet. i'm not attempting to displace you from your tiny sqaure of floorspace, asshole, i'm just trying to get by. ughhhhhhh.

Guiny

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2004, 08:12:00 pm »
Get by somewhere else then. And i dare someone to call me an asshole if they are trying to get by, Thatguy wont be able to get there fast enough to save there ass. Oh dont worry Lulu is it? I'd let you by anytime   :D  

Sorry but i cant keep up with everyone's nicknames.

DCNuman

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2004, 12:05:00 am »
Fortunately the yakkers stayed home at some of the shows I've been to...most notably Sigur Ros (not a PEEP!!)  Worse talkers were at a few Bob Mould shows, Laurie Anderson and several idiots at Crystal Method (also complaining they couldn't see...what was to SEE?  Crystal Method had banks of 10,000 gigawatt halogens shining almost continuously into the audience!!)

GOD I MISS THE 9:30 CLUB!  Denver has no comparable place (except the Fillmore, but it ain't as fun)

flawd101

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2004, 11:06:00 am »
people dont move because that little space will be filled up with all the people behind you.  just crowd surf outta thurr.....if they do that at your peoples shows......