Author Topic: Jet review from this past Friday  (Read 3401 times)

sonickteam2

Jet review from this past Friday
« on: October 20, 2003, 08:38:00 am »
I decided against the Brian Jonestown Massacre on Friday night, for the fact that some friends were going to see Jet at the Ottobar and a co-worker of mine's band was opening.
   So I went.  and heard his band, local band, The Frauds who i think are very very talented and would have a record deal already if they were from Austrailia! Some terrible band played in the middle and then, Jet.
   Ok, I know that some of you may be thinking, what a dumbass for going to a Jet show, but I will be the first to admit....ok, I'm a dumbass.
    Of all of the overrated bands.....

They started out playing some country ass kind of songs....which i guess would be ok, but come on, that one song, which is already on commercials i might add, does not suggest that. I think the songs WERE on the CD though.  But it just started out very boring and quiet.
   They are ugly, badly dressed (i mean, worse than the Datsuns) and had NO stage presence.  The lacking of a front man was the worst, a guy was singing but it was kind of hard to tell which one sometimes.
    On they started with their more uptempo songs, and thier already way too young and hipster fanbase was annoying me.  
     The thing that struck me is that, if you had never heard them before and didnt see the crowds giant uproar, you STILL wouldve known that "are you gonna be my girl" was the song that got them the gig in the first place.....and that was the only song, that made me wanna do anything but carbombs.

I am not a professional reviewer, so i feel as i can say flat out....they sucked.

But if you are ever in Baltimore and have a chance to see the Frauds, i suggest it.

MaLo

Re: Jet review from this past Friday
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 08:49:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  I decided against the Brian Jonestown Massacre on Friday night, for the fact that some friends were going to see Jet at the Ottobar and a co-worker of mine's band was opening.
   So I went.  and heard his band, local band, The Frauds who i think are very very talented and would have a record deal already if they were from Austrailia! Some terrible band played in the middle and then, Jet.
   Ok, I know that some of you may be thinking, what a dumbass for going to a Jet show, but I will be the first to admit....ok, I'm a dumbass.
    Of all of the overrated bands.....

They started out playing some country ass kind of songs....which i guess would be ok, but come on, that one song, which is already on commercials i might add, does not suggest that. I think the songs WERE on the CD though.  But it just started out very boring and quiet.
   They are ugly, badly dressed (i mean, worse than the Datsuns) and had NO stage presence.  The lacking of a front man was the worst, a guy was singing but it was kind of hard to tell which one sometimes.
    On they started with their more uptempo songs, and thier already way too young and hipster fanbase was annoying me.  
     The thing that struck me is that, if you had never heard them before and didnt see the crowds giant uproar, you STILL wouldve known that "are you gonna be my girl" was the song that got them the gig in the first place.....and that was the only song, that made me wanna do anything but carbombs.

I am not a professional reviewer, so i feel as i can say flat out....they sucked.

But if you are ever in Baltimore and have a chance to see the Frauds, i suggest it.
yeah, you are a dumbass for going to see them...i didn't even know they were still around:
   ;)

Guiny

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 08:59:00 am »
80's at their best!!!!!!!!!!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 09:45:00 am »
i bought the frauds cd on a whim at soundgarden haven't had a chance to check out yet...
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 10:29:00 am »
Originally posted by MaLo:
 yeah, you are a dumbass for going to see them...i didn't even know they were still around:
    ;)  [/QB]
they wouldve been better.

ratioci nation

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 10:31:00 am »
hmmmm, wish I had read this before yesterday, I had never heard Jet before, but picked up the cd for 2.50 yesterday, guess I will still give it a try

ggw

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2003, 10:34:00 am »
They opened for Kings of Leon at the 9:30 a couple of months ago. They really weren't half-bad.

I don't have a desire to buy their CD or rush out to see them play again, but I didn't think they sucked.

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2003, 10:44:00 am »
i think it was worse cause i keep hearing people in my store talking about Jet and buying thier CD all the DAMN time.  And so i am thinking, everyone loves them, and they suck.
   If I'd never heard of them before, my opinion may not have been so harsh.
   I like the D4 much better.

Relaxer

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2003, 05:10:00 pm »
I picked up Jet's disc for, I think, six bucks and it was worth it. It's reeeeal simple, but Are You Gonna Be My Girl and Rollover DJ sound good in the car.

Tomorrow it's The Rapture for $6.99 at Best Buy.
oword

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 11:40:00 am »
i listend to the frauds last night.  while a bit sloppy for my non-indie ears, it could grow on me.

i found out that an old drummer of the put-outs has switched to guitar for this band.  and that they are playing at the mojo as part of the  IPO festival
T.Rex