Author Topic: The Strokes  (Read 5579 times)

Relaxer

Re: The Strokes
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2003, 05:18:00 pm »
First time I heard them was when they opened for Doves and they were amazing. I went home thinking they sounded like The Replacements (which sounds stupid, but they were much more all-over-the-place and raw), but was bewildered by the lo-fi sound of The Modern Age ep I picked up at the show. Then saw them again six months later when they headlined the 9:30, after the album came out, and by then it seemed liked they'd settled into their stand-still-and-deliver-the-songs routine. It was only okay.
oword

vansmack

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2003, 05:21:00 pm »
Thanks for the reviews.  I went to the theater to pick up tickets (and avoid the Ticketbastard surcharge of $7.25 a ticket!) and they don't sell tickets at the box office until 2 hours before the show.

As Smackette is aware of my longstanding fued with ticketbastard, the fate of her seeing the strokes now firmly rest on the availability of tickets at the box office 2 hours before the show.

Therefore, if I should see the strokes, it will be because I was meant to.  Or because thousands of other people were smart enough to stay away and I wasn't.  

Thanks for your help everyone.
27>34

Mobius

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2003, 05:32:00 pm »
It should be at best a fun show, at worst, redundant.  Not such a big risk.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2003, 05:35:00 pm »
i saw the strokes with gbv and was impressed enough to get the modern age ep as well, but like pop rocks the intial fizz was quickly released with a bad taste in my mouth.  the lo-fi courtesy pro tools ep did nothing for me.  i did buy "this is it" when they re-released with the dvd because it was seven dollars.  and was still unimpressed...

the hype machine turned them into bigger stars then they deserved.  their success shows how most people have to be spoon fed what they listen to. because they aren't out there supporting the other hundreds of bands that do what the strokes only better. and will continue be around long before and after the strokes.  for the price of one strokes ticket one can seen 4 or 5 of these bands working their guts out in clubs.
T.Rex