Author Topic: Coldplay MCI Center  (Read 14909 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Coldplay MCI Center
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by manimtired:
  is this thread serious?
i was wondering the same thing.

is there really a good seat at a Coldplay concert?

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by manimtired:
  is this thread serious?
This one is.

eros

ʎɐʍou

wml7

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »
It's serious.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2008, 06:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by Erinaceous Sonickus:
no, there are only good posters.
<sig>

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »
Riddle me this: Why do people hate Coldplay so much?
Woof.

wml7

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2008, 04:02:00 pm »
Yeah why?????

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »
I REFUSE to call it the "verizon" center. It is and will always be MCI.

As for the whole coldplay issue. Absolutely love the band. As for the price, effing hate it. Thus, I am not going, nor did I try to go.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2008, 06:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by ixkpd-bk:
  Riddle me this: Why do people hate Coldplay so much?
apparently is has something to do with fact that listening to coldplay can turn you gay or something...

seriously tho, other than the generic "coldplay sucks", reasons i've come across include:
 - they write sappy love songs.  based on their selection of singles, one couldn't be blamed for thinking that.  they aren't an edgy boundary-pushing band, which is a prerequisite for some.  while i like coldplay, i gotta admit they're kinda middle-of-the-road wishy-washy.  they're very safe.  from their wiki page: "Coldplay describes their musical style as 'very heavy soft rock'".
 - they've gone mainstream.  a number of people have told me "i liked parachutes when i first discovered it, but have hated them since they became big".  they write accessible songs, always have.
 - they're wannabe-radiohead.  i've never understood this one.  chris martin has stated he wants his band to be as good as radiohead, not be radiohead.  i'm quite familiar with both band's catalogs, and i don't know of any coldplay song that sounds like radiohead could have written it.  if anyone has an example please share, i'm genuinely curious.
 - none of the band members are sufficiently buff.  only two boardees have made this complaint to date, but maybe it's a widespread one.

btw, the new album leaked on friday.  at least one other boardee here thinks it's great, i think it's good but i'm still warming up to it.  only had one listen, while doing dishes last night.
<sig>

Mobius

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2008, 07:47:00 pm »
For starters - without going back and listening to the coldplay catalog - I think Yellow sounds like a reconfigured The Bends watered down for mass consumption.  More generally, Parachutes - which I liked a lot - felt like it was channeling sentiments expressed by radiohead but in an easier to digest format.

I liked their second album too and remember thinking I heard elements from Kid A or Amniasiac reconfigured to be easier and accessible (mayber clocks is an example?  i don't remember) - and anyway that wasn't a bad idea or career path.

I enjoyed their 2002 show at 9:30 and at this point they were a nice band with nice songs and essentially harmless.

Not sure how or why exactly X&Y struck me so wrong.  It was an album whose sentiment and emotions just rang so false to me, and the band just seemed so tedious at this point - trying desperately hard to convey an earnestness that didn't feel earnest on any level.   The songs just felt - useless.  They became a  chain store at the mall . . . selling predictable earnestness.

When I heard they were working with Brian Eno I thought the possibilities were interesting. Haven't heard the album but  Violtet Hill sounds boring to me and i don't care if i never hear it again.

azaghal1981

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:

no, there are only good posters. [/b]
Well played.
احمد

eros

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2008, 04:55:00 am »
  - they're wannabe-radiohead.  i've never understood this one.  chris martin has stated he wants his band to be as good as radiohead, not be radiohead.  i'm quite familiar with both band's catalogs, and i don't know of any coldplay song that sounds like radiohead could have written it.  if anyone has an example please share, i'm genuinely curious.

Radiohead?  They're wannabe-U2.  They are writing songs designed to be played in stadiums.  "Viva la Vida" could be on the new U2 album, complete with huge chorus and religious lyrical imagery.  When we saw them at the HFStival in Baltimore that year everyone in our group noticed how Chris Martin was trying his hardest to be the new Bono.

For the record, I have no problem with this.  I admit to being a huge U2 fan so I don't mind big stadium rock once in a while.  The jury is still out on the new record as I've only listened once and it takes me multiple times to decide if I like anything.
ʎɐʍou

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2008, 11:11:00 am »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:

no, there are only good posters. [/b]
Well played. [/b]
thanks, i was starting to wonder if anyone was going to get that reference...

Originally posted by eros:
 Radiohead?  They're wannabe-U2.  They are writing songs designed to be played in stadiums.  "Viva la Vida" could be on the new U2 album, complete with huge chorus and religious lyrical imagery.
ah, that's a little closer, but still not on target for me unless one believes that U2 have a strangle-hold on stadium rock.  martin's voice is way smoother than bono's, coldplay has too much piano and not enough guitars to be U2, etc etc... but yeah, i can see that comparison.  

i believe that the full quote from mr martin is that he wants his band to be as big as U2 and as good as radiohead.  no wonder he's so unliked   :D
<sig>

Mobius

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2008, 01:32:00 pm »

i believe that the full quote from mr martin is that he wants his band to be as big as U2 and as good as radiohead. [/b]
That sounds like if Patrick Dempsey said he wanted to be as big as Tom Cruise and as good as Brad Pitt.

Coldplay doesn't really sound anything like U2.

vansmack

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2008, 01:40:00 pm »
I like Coldplay.  And I'm not gay.

I'm merely gayish.  And proud of it.
27>34