Author Topic: Grammys  (Read 8969 times)

Re: Grammys
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2023, 11:54:47 pm »
At the end of episode
Again tonight, great closing song
slack

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2023, 12:10:22 am »
Typical Grammy voter:

Never heard..
never heard..
never heard..
Hey, I know Bonnie Raitt!
😐 🎶

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2023, 12:29:17 am »
Steve Lacy has really changed his sound since he died.
😐 🎶

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2023, 07:57:27 am »
Seems like everyone is saying last nights Grammys we’re good
Now I want to see the 50 years of hip hop (well at least the first 20 years)
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2023, 08:51:37 am »
Seems like everyone is saying last nights Grammys we’re good
Now I want to see the 50 years of hip hop (well at least the first 20 years)

Didn't watch, so can't comment on what the Grammy's did with it. But I much prefer the hop hop of the last 10 years over the hip hop of the  early 70's- early 90's. Sidehatch and Chris Brown, take note:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jazz/comments/ofns31/any_recs_for_modern_jazz_hip_hop_fusion_that/

https://pagesix.com/2023/02/05/chris-brown-asks-who-the-f-k-is-robert-glasper-after-2023-grammys-loss/

Starsky

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2023, 09:07:07 am »
Was DJ Kool Herc there? Are they using his DJing at house parties in the Bronx
In 1973 as the beginning of hip hop?

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2023, 09:43:40 am »
But I much prefer the hop hop of the last 10 years over the hip hop of the  early 70's- early 90's. S
now I understand the stance your wife and your kid have with you...you have really bad taste in music
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2023, 09:44:05 am »
Was DJ Kool Herc there? Are they using his DJing at house parties in the Bronx
In 1973 as the beginning of hip hop?

I don't know the answer to your question.

It's funny. I listen to KEXP online a lot at home. Last year, they did a 50 years of music thing to celebrate their 50th anniversary. This year they are doing a 50 years of hip hop thing. My wife was arguing that hip hop has not even been around for 50 years. I thought it was a KEXP thing, not something beyond that. But apparently it is. And edit, what you said.

https://the50thanniversaryofhip-hop.com/history/

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2023, 09:48:12 am »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2023, 09:49:44 am »
But I much prefer the hop hop of the last 10 years over the hip hop of the  early 70's- early 90's. S
now I understand the stance your wife and your kid have with you...you have really bad taste in music

I'm talking about bands and artists like Sault, Ezra Collective, Theo Croker, Afro Mist, Nubya Garcia, etc that infuse elements of afro-beat, hip-hop, soul and jazz into their sounds. To me, much more interesting than some guy scratching a record and his buddy rapping over it.

At least my family can all agree that Frank Turner is garbage.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 09:51:18 am by Space Freely »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2023, 09:58:39 am »
I’m watching the PBS series “Fight The Power: How Hip Hop Changed The World” and they are using DJ Kool Herc as the starting point, but also highlighting the socially conscious 70s songs as part of origin. That and the racists policies of the time..  Only one episode in and it’s well done, for good or bad Chuck D is heavily featured and apparently there are some flaws in it especially regarding the current state of the genre

Back to The Grammy’s… When I heard in passing a jazz singer had been nominated for best new artist I was curious so I gave Samara Joy a listen.  And wow is she talented and on par with the greats of the past as a vocalist.  And kudos to her for actually winning the award
T.Rex

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2023, 10:09:58 am »

I'm talking about bands and artists like Sault, Ezra Collective, Theo Croker, Afro Mist, Nubya Garcia, etc that infuse elements of afro-beat, hip-hop, soul and jazz into their sounds. To me, much more interesting than some guy scratching a record and his buddy rapping over it.

Ok, I will give you a pass as you named 5 acts
I grew up in NY in the 70s and 80s and Rap at that time was just like Punk, was so new and different, unlike anything that came before it and so against what the mainstream labels were putting out.  Started out very Fun, funky and just about a good time, but then it got very serious, dark, and political
While the acts you list are of a high caliber, I doubt in 20 years anyone will be talking about them like they talk about Chuck D, Tribe, Run DMC, NWA, Sugarhill Gang and so many others.

You can have your opnion, but I don't have a problem telling you that it is incorrect

Also, just so you know, Frank Turner is not a Hip Hop act, so I can see why you thought he sucked at that
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2023, 10:24:49 am »

Ok, I will give you a pass as you named 5 acts
I grew up in NY in the 70s and 80s and Rap at that time was just like Punk, was so new and different, unlike anything that came before it and so against what the mainstream labels were putting out.  Started out very Fun, funky and just about a good time, but then it got very serious, dark, and political
While the acts you list are of a high caliber, I doubt in 20 years anyone will be talking about them like they talk about Chuck D, Tribe, Run DMC, NWA, Sugarhill Gang and so many others.

You can have your opnion, but I don't have a problem telling you that it is incorrect

Also, just so you know, Frank Turner is not a Hip Hop act, so I can see why you thought he sucked at that

Well the problem with early rap (and punk too) was that it was all about a good time or in the case of punk, an attitude. And I can appreciate that for what it was. But the kind of stuff I'm talking about it far more interesting, musically.

And of course people are always going to talk more about the pioneers or a genre than niche acts 50 years later. That's why most people have heard of the Clash, and most haven't heard of Frank Turner (regardless of if he's any good.) Or most have heard of the Beatles, and most haven't heard of Dr. Dog.

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2023, 10:59:26 am »
And of course people are always going to talk more about the pioneers or a genre than niche acts 50 years later. That's why most people have heard of the Clash, and most haven't heard of Frank Turner (regardless of if he's any good.) Or most have heard of the Beatles, and most haven't heard of Dr. Dog.
and also those two choices are limp comparisons of the people who influenced them...and in 20 years no one will be talking about them
slack

Starsky

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2023, 11:16:22 am »
I love early hip hop which I knew as rap… To me Sugarhill Gang’s Rappers Delight never gets old…same with Kurtis Blow’s Christmas Rapping, the Breaks…Grandmaster Flash, all that early rap on Sugarhill, Profile and Def Jam…Bambaata, Run DMC, ATCQ, De la Soul, and all the rest of the daisyheads, Public Enemy, LL Cool J, Slick Rick and some early Ice T… the early rap and breakdancing movies…the graffiti

Unfortunately in the early 90s west coast rap takes over and just loses me…. I much prefer rap about having a good time, wanting girls and positive messages to rap about blunts, $, hoes and guns (violence). Not saying rap when it becomes known as hip hop and an entire commerce culture develops and explodes and exploits around it isn’t valid…it most certainly is just as valid and relevant (maybe more so) but I just can’t appreciate it…

I do wish there was still room for retro-rap music…don’t understand why acts like Public Enemy were suddenly consigned to the dustbin of history… there doesn’t seem to be much respect for the original rappers…