Author Topic: Playing at a theater near you  (Read 4954 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: Playing at a theater near you
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 02:16:50 pm »
I went to see Dunkirk this weekend and it was a great picture.  I will say that the score made everything very intense.  The sound was very loud and the seats seemed to shake along with the action on the screen. 
I definitely recommend this picture.
The score from Dunkirk seems to just be an orchestra playing higher and higher notes until the credits. It made the entire movie very intense. I was relieved when the movie was over. Thought it was awesome. I liked Inception and Interstellar better, but I am always happy with a new Nolan movie.
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 02:38:16 pm »
Using music in movies to get people to feel a certain way seems like a cheap ploy

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 03:07:34 pm »
Because there isn't music playing in real life you mean? Film is an art form, yo.
‼‼?‼‼

martinrob

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 09:19:44 pm »
This thread was created for new movies in the theaters. Not just for this one picture. Hopefully, you will see something in future that will bring you back to this thread.
You may wish to consult the previously-established thread "Recommend some good movies!"
It seemed likes the recommend movies thread was more about movies on video.  There was a recent post of Slumdog Millionaire and that was up for best pic like 8 years ago.  Great movie, but recent releases need their own thread.

martinrob

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 09:50:15 pm »

[/quote]
The score from Dunkirk seems to just be an orchestra playing higher and higher notes until the credits. It made the entire movie very intense. I was relieved when the movie was over. Thought it was awesome. I liked Inception and Interstellar better, but I am always happy with a new Nolan movie.
[/quote]
It is great to see another Nolan pic.  Something historical and something he wrote, directed and produced.  A great reprieve from all the remakes and action hero movies.

martinrob

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 02:24:33 pm »
Is anyone going to check out The Dark Tower: Gunslinger this weekend?

herman otto

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2017, 02:53:40 pm »

as a devoted fan of the books . . . this looks horrid, horrible, and horrendous.  hell, no.

plus, I saw wonder woman last night.  what, a piece of shit.

herman otto

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 03:03:52 pm »
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/peter-travers-the-dark-tower-is-a-major-misfire-w493316

gurl.  it is a know fact . . . if you are going to do Stephen king, make sure he hates it and does not want you to do it, or it will fail.

Kemosabe

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 03:20:13 pm »

as a devoted fan of the books . . . this looks horrid, horrible, and horrendous.  hell, no.

plus, I saw wonder woman last night.  what, a piece of shit.
You are a harsh critic; WW has almost universal praise, and a 92% on Rotten Tomatoes.  If that movie is a POS, then what do you consider to not be a POS? 

herman otto

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 03:33:12 pm »
guardians of the galaxy 2, was great.  ww, plus that god awful looking justice league . . . spell the end of the superhero, film era.

ps, plus anything that has thor in it.  that new one looks like a shitpile, too.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:35:17 pm by herman, otto »

martinrob

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2017, 10:19:20 pm »
I just got back from seeing Dark Tower and having not read the books I followed along pretty easily.  I was also with my wife whom has read the Dark Tower series and she did not agree with the reviews from Rolling Stone.
There may have been a lack of character development but without having the green light on putting out additional movies like (LOTR or Harry Potter) for the series, it is a huge ask of those involved with the film to complete it within a 95 minute movie.
I also did not have a problem with the CGI used.  I was expecting something along the lines of Sharknado with the comments regarding the poor CGI.
Lastly thought it was strange that our start time was for 7:19, but I get it now.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2017, 03:57:43 pm »
guardians of the galaxy 2, was great.  ww, plus that god awful looking justice league . . . spell the end of the superhero, film era.

ps, plus anything that has thor in it.  that new one looks like a shitpile, too.
Dang, for real? I thought WW was the only good thing DC has done with their new movie universe by a long, long, long shot. I'm actually sad she'll be saddled up with the rest of the JL... because that movie just.... I just don't know.

I still would like to see the dark tower though.
‼‼?‼‼