Author Topic: Phantom Planet Comes To DC  (Read 6158 times)

eltee

Re: Phantom Planet Comes To DC
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2004, 12:23:00 pm »
I'm thinking of trying to get a band booked to one (there or another store)...is it a waste of time to have in-stores around here?  
Originally posted by Random Citizen:
  That's why I decided not to go. I remember when Pete Yorn played and did a sign-in at that store in 2001. It's worth it once, but I'm getting old.    :D  

Originally posted by keithstg:
  Did anyone go to the instore? I went in by mistake (I swear!), and it was ridiculous. They had finished playing, but there were still probably 150-200 kids in Olsson's, making a mess of the place...
[/b]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2004, 01:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by El Tee:
  I'm thinking of trying to get a band booked to one (there or another store)...is it a waste of time to have in-stores around here?  
I don't know whether or not they are a waste of time... But one Baltimore band I know does them all the time because they get paid in gift certificates after the gig.  So getting to go record shopping after the fact is part of the performance for them.  I'm thinking Borders pays the performers this way, although it may be Barnes and Nobles.  Either way look into because at least the stores will carry the CD as they are performing in the store.
T.Rex

Random Citizen

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2004, 02:34:00 pm »
I don't think it would be a waste of time. In-stores are good, just choose a decent-sized location. The Dupont Olsson's is pretty small, so people are packed in there.

Originally posted by El Tee:
[/b]

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2004, 02:43:00 pm »
I once saw a Alejandro Escovedo in-store on a Saturday afternoon at DCCD. The only people there were me, a friend, the store clerk and Alejandro and his band. Poor Alejandro. He played anyway.

Bags

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2004, 03:43:00 pm »
I saw Ben Lee at an in-store at DCCD.  There were about 15 folks there.  It was cool.

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2004, 03:48:00 pm »
I saw Ben Lee open for somebody years and years ago. Motherfucker be prancing around the 9:30 club in an all-white suit. Crowd was hating him, but he seemed oblivious to it all. He still ballin Claire Danes?

Space Freely

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2023, 10:03:37 pm »
Remember when bands did in stores at Ollsons? I saw Josh Ritter there, among others.Now you have to pay $35 to see Jeff Tweedy read a book.

Also, I don't think Ben Lee is ballin Claire Danes anymore.