Author Topic: David Segal and the Washington Post.  (Read 11699 times)

ggw

Re: David Segal and the Washington Post.
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2004, 11:55:00 am »
Originally posted by brennser:
  and as others have pointed out the NY Times seems to be able to cover these bands - in particular I remembr an excellent and interesting article on Idlewild, one of those bands who 23 year old music journalists get excited about who sell 20,000 copies

Not to mention even smaller bands like TV on the Radio, who had a half page in the Arts & Leisure section a couple of weeks ago.

Of course, New York sees a lot more of these up and coming acts, which may explain why they have done a great job recently in covering more of the off-the-beaten-path stuff.

But the comment "Just because a gaggle of 23 year old music "journalists" get excited about a new indie band that might sell 20,000 albums tops" really answers all the questions about the Post's (and Mr. Segal's) attitudes toward new music, doesn't it?

David Segal

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2004, 11:55:00 am »
The Post is in the business of reporting news, not "taking chances".

Tho' I hope that Mr. Segal's insinuation that record sales is indicative of import was unintended?  
unfortunately I think not - he didn't do much to answer the complaint that the Posts music coverage is lacking and generally focused on mainstream music

and as others have pointed out the NY Times seems to be able to cover these bands - in particular I remembr an excellent and interesting article on Idlewild, one of those bands who 23 year old music journalists get excited about who sell 20,000 copies

with its huge audience the Post has a real chance to let people know of good stuff thats out there thats not what Clear Channel wants you to listen to but instead they choose the safer route

I'm not arguing they shouldn't cover major artists, they have to of course, but there should be more of a focus on up and coming or out of the mainstream acts [/b]

jkeisenh

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2004, 11:58:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

But the comment "Just because a gaggle of 23 year old music "journalists" get excited about a new indie band that might sell 20,000 albums tops" really answers all the questions about the Post's (and Mr. Segal's) attitudes toward new music, doesn't it?
I second that.  Has anyone else read his washington post live online chats?  He rarely answers questions about bands that haven't hit a Billboard list, and usually, when it comes to shows at 930 or Black Cat, it's a "sorry I missed that one."  How very frustrating.

markie

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2004, 12:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by David Segal:
  The Post is in the business of reporting news, not "taking chances".

[/b][/QUOTE]

With that kind of attitude, the post would have missed the velvet underground or the first couple of years of punk at CBGB's......

Instead of helping to be part of a trend the post is happy to report on over the hill mainstream acts?

bearman🐻

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2004, 12:01:00 pm »
As someone that used to be a rock critic and managed, designed and maintained my own web site, I would say that it's not just about what is news, even if it is the Post. Greg Kot from the Chicago Tribune knows when something is newsworthy and does a damn fine job covering something (like Kurt Cobain's death)...then there were the other times he filled the shoes of a spectator and musical appreciator. His tastes don't always reflect mine, but at least he was able to adequately convey his thoughts and opinions into valid points. That is what a good writer does...you might not always agree, but at least you can respect them. But a good chunk of that validity comes from covering a nice variety of performances and styles, and not consistently trashing certain genres (i.e. Britpop).

thirsty moore

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2004, 12:02:00 pm »
Segal's a big X fan isn't he?  Surely he knows something about left of the dial bands.

David Segal

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2004, 12:07:00 pm »
As I stated, the Post is in the business of reporting news, not making news.

We leave the job of MAKING news to our colleagues at the New York Times (e.g. Jayson Blair).

Tho' I hope that Mr. Segal's insinuation that record sales is indicative of import was unintended?  
unfortunately I think not - he didn't do much to answer the complaint that the Posts music coverage is lacking and generally focused on mainstream music

with its huge audience the Post has a real chance to let people know of good stuff thats out there thats not what Clear Channel wants you to listen to but instead they choose the safer route

I'm not arguing they shouldn't cover major artists, they have to of course, but there should be more of a focus on up and coming or out of the mainstream acts [/b]

Bags

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2004, 12:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:Of course, New York sees a lot more of these up and coming acts, which may explain why they have done a great job recently in covering more of the off-the-beaten-path stuff.
 [/QB]
Except for New York bands, I believe we get virtually everything they do in NY (I peruse pollstar a lot, as I'll go to NY for a show now and then).  Our shows don't sell out as often, but that's the difference between 12 million people and...however many live around here.    :p

skonster

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2004, 12:08:00 pm »
I know I was mentioned in the first post on this subject, cause I like to complain and all.  To be fair, the Post has done some more obscure stuff - they reviewed Xiu Xiu from last week.  And The Carlsonics profile a few months ago was interesting.  But it would be worthwhile to do some sort of monthly profile of a local band, for instance.  

I complained for a couple of reasons.  I haven't liked his reviews for various reasons.  About half of the Blur review consisted of complaining that a spotlight kept getting in his face.  I find stuff like that offputting, even though the 'concert experience' is worth discussing.  And while I do read and sometimes enjoy the chats, answers like this (from last week's chat) are why it can be frustrating:

"Detroit, Mich.: David,
 You publish about a story every other week or once a month in the Post. What do you do with the rest of your time?

David Segal: I sleep."

Maybe the question came off as snarky, but although I really doubt Segal has a lot of free time at work I would also be curious to know what some other responsibilities are.  Is he the head in charge of who sees what?  Editing the other reporters' work?  etc.  ok i'll stop now.

jkeisenh

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2004, 12:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by David Segal:

We leave the job of MAKING news to our colleagues at the New York Times (e.g. Jayson Blair).

One would really hope this isn't actually David Segal... he's hardly being respectable.

Anyway, you're not working at the NEWS desk are you?  I mean, Tom Seitsema reports on all restaurants-- from hole-in-the-wall BBQ joints to Galileo.  Why can't music critics cover the same spectrum?

If this is David Segal, maybe it's time to go work for Billboard instead.  Clearly your attitude is selling short your ability to actually see the whole spectrum of what makes music great.

brennser

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2004, 12:12:00 pm »

not only is that smart alecky, but its trying to change the subject and continuing to avoid what a bunch of people here think is a legitimate question regarding the Posts coverage of non-mainstream acts

David Segal

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2004, 12:14:00 pm »
Well, it's been nice chatting with y'all, but that's all the time I have. Time to go sip on a glass of Merlot at Tryst whilst working on my latest Janet Jackson feature article.

Bags

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2004, 12:15:00 pm »
Certainly, though, there should be more than one guy at the Post covering music?  Eric Brace worked hard at highlighting what was noteworthy around town (of course, he's gone, and likely had a different editorial mission).

It is true, though, that I watch the NY Times for coverage.

Alas, I was going to defend Mr. Segal to a degree, than he added the snipe about Jayson Blair and lost all credibility with me.  Which is too bad, as this is a site full of bona fide music fans and concert goers.    ;)  

Seriously, hearing bunnyman's discussion of Chicago coverage saddened me a little.  It highlights that the Post may be less than it can be, rather than the NY Times being an anomolous example of particularly good coverage of arts & leisure issues.

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2004, 12:17:00 pm »
Hahaha.. it was an April Fools joke

brennser

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2004, 12:18:00 pm »
rhett you prick!!!

well done - we fell for it hook, line and fucking sinker

:o      :D      :roll: