Author Topic: replacements reunion?  (Read 2670 times)

npetting

replacements reunion?
« on: June 05, 2004, 01:26:00 am »
Why won't the greatest rock band of the last 20 years reunite?  I know it almost came together a couple years back, but if there's ever been a time it's now.  Why not jump on the bandwagon?

Random Citizen

Re: replacements reunion?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 09:28:00 am »
Well, there would never be a full band reunion since one of the members has departed this plane. Plus, there's that whole All Our Tommy Belongs to Axl situation.

Bags

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 12:23:00 pm »
They could certainly do it without Bob, but yeah, that whole Tommy assist on the revival of GnR may be an impediment.

[oy vey...]

walkman

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 12:45:00 pm »
didn't chris go nuts?

jpbelmondo

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 09:16:00 pm »
Despite themselves, I think they were one of the greatest bands, maybe the greatest, of the past 25 years, but why would they reunite? They don't seem to need the money.  Mars seems to have no regrets about leaving music behind, Tommy just got some big deal with Sanctuary, and I think Westerberg would only do it on a whim.  It's not like the money would be that great -- they would never get a payday like the Pixies, who, with much less talent but with a calculated sound and attitude had a line on the pretensions of college students then and now.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 10:08:00 pm »
They may not "need the money", but I'll bet they'd make more money on a reunion tour than they did their entire last 5 years as a band.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 08:44:00 am »
don't forget about the two grandpaboy records
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 02:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkie hearts you all:
  didn't chris go nuts?
Nope, he put out some really great solo albums -- well, okay, a great one, a good one, and some okay ones.  He may have gone nuts with regards to the band...I can see that, god knows.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 02:35:00 pm »
replacements without bob would be like the stones without mick
o/\o

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 02:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
I much prefer the records before bob departed the band, but still, Pleased to Meet Me is a fine record and I still even put on don't tell a soul now and again.

I saw them once with Slim Dunlop (that was his name, right?) on geetar and it was a decent show.  Some of you may have been there..lisner in 86 or so on the Pleased to meet me tour.

Anyay, I think in the event of a reunion slim could fill the spot but it'll never happen!!  Of course, we all said the same thing about the Pixies.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 02:49:00 pm »
wasn't at the show... but then the 'mats played in detroit shortly after bob got the boot. a disgrunted fan made up masks of bob face for the audience to wear.  so paul would have to stare at bob's face all night long.
T.Rex

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 02:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  [wasn't at the show... but then the 'mats played in detroit shortly after bob got the boot. a disgrunted fan made up masks of bob face for the audience to wear.  so paul would have to stare at bob's face all night long.
Brilliant!  Yes Slim was definately a step backwards from Bob....

Bags

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2004, 07:33:00 pm »
That's insane.  'Mats without Bob is like the Stones without Ronnie Wood.  Sure, you want him there, but you got Keith (Tommy) and Mick (Paul).

godsshoeshine

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 08:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagalicious Tangster:
  'Mats without Bob is like the Stones without Ronnie Wood.  Sure, you want him there, but you got Keith (Tommy) and Mick (Paul).
that's insane, ron wood wasn't even an original member of the stones
o/\o

Bags

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 09:56:00 pm »

Originally posted by Bagalicious Tangster:
  'Mats without Bob is like the Stones without Ronnie Wood.  Sure, you want him there, but you got Keith (Tommy) and Mick (Paul).
that's insane, ron wood wasn't even an original member of the stones [/b]
Alright, alright, I don't know anything about the Stones....I hold to the overall premise, though.   ;)