Author Topic: Idlewild roll call  (Read 4905 times)

redsock

Re: Idlewild roll call
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 09:37:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam4:
  man, i need a blog

and a radio show....
Umm... you might not update the blog very often ;-)

And we're working on that radio show.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 10:01:00 am »
Originally posted by Relaxer:

I think their albums are getting boringer with each successive release,  
That's surprising seeing as the bar was set extremely low with the first release.

Relaxer

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2005, 11:29:00 am »
Originally posted by O'Mankie:

I think their albums are getting boringer with each successive release,  
That's surprising seeing as the bar was set extremely low with the first release. [/b]
Okay, that's pushing it a little -- extremely low?. Hope is Important isn't the best album, but Film for the Future, When I Argue I See Shapes, and Everyone Says Youre So Fragile are really good songs that always punch up their live show. There are a few duff tracks, but I prefer the debut to the new one.

When I heard The Remote Part, I was worried that the band was going to pursue the "American English" direction, rather than the sound of 100 Broken Windows. The new album seems to demonstrate that this is the case.
oword

sonickteam2

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2005, 11:37:00 am »
the Scottish REM...as i call them now..

Yank

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2005, 01:21:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguär:

Wow Jaguar, I'm kinda surprised you'll be at a show by someone I've heard of, heh.

:D    

Kurosawa too!      ;)  

BTW, my show comes on again in a couple minutes if you want to hear what a lot of the stuff I listen to sounds like.

The Trans-Atlantic Underground

Kool Rock Radio

The KRR link ^ is the one that will bring up the stream. You will still have to click on it or press play in order to activate the stream. [/b]
Even Rolling Stone Magazine knows a good thing when they hear it.  Kool Rock Radio is the future of internet radio.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/7606300/?pageid=rs.News&pageregion=single1

sonickteam2

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2005, 12:21:00 pm »
just a heads up for anyone going, got my tickets and the funk box warned me of a sellout around showtime, so dont TOO tardy if you're ticketless

also, heres the setlist from Boston on 9/6

Boston, Paradise
 6th September 2005 -

1. Too long awake
 2. Love steals us from loneliness
 3. Little discourage
 4. A modern way of letting go
 5. Welcome home
 6. These wooden ideas
 7. I want a warning
 8. I understand it
 9. American English
 10. The space between all things
 11. Live in a hiding place
 12. Blame it on obvious ways
 13. When I argue I see shapes
 14. El Capitan
 15. The bronze medal
 16. Roseability
 17. You held the world in your arms
 -------------------
 18. Self healer
 19. I'm a message
 20. A film for the future

lily1

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2005, 09:55:00 am »
set times for tonight? i'm guessing 9.30 and 10.30, for each respectively?

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2005, 10:39:00 am »
Terrific show last night. The club was tiny and had great sound. I'm too tired to give a full review, but the band played everything I wanted to hear with passion and intensity. New songs sounded great live. Set list was a good mix of new and old. Roddy was very chatty. Very excited crowd. Looking forward to the show tonight!
 Oh and Inara George has a beautiful voice. She's well worth checking out.

Jaguär

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2005, 02:49:00 pm »
Agree with everything that Kurosawa said. Fun night all around with good music and a good crowd. It was obvious that everyone, from band to crowd, was having a good time.

lily1

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2005, 07:59:00 am »
inara george very much reminds me of maziestar. very enjoyable opener. she would be perfect for iota.

great set last night-18 songs. i thought for sure that show would sell out and was shocked to see it barely half full!

sonickteam2

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2005, 08:46:00 am »
i thought Inara George was bad. no stage presence whatsoever and her babbling in between songs was very lame.

maybe she wouldve been a good opener for someone, but come on people, its a saturday night, lets try not to be so BORING!!!!

Relaxer

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2005, 10:38:00 am »
Inara was a little annoying. Some of the songs built up into a nice swingalong, but for the most part, it was kinda cutesy-boring. I think she'll have a Lisa Loeb-like hit and then drop out of view.
 Idlewild were good, sometimes great, but they seemed tired and a little depressed that they were playing such a small venue. As I feared, Roddy showed up wearing a vest, looking very Joshua Tree in his Bono locks, black jeans and cowboy boots. Song selection was good -- opening up with Film for the Future was a great treat.
 But I did get the feeling that Roddy is wondering where it all went wrong. Maybe it was just fatigue, but he seemed disappointed in it all. After playing for huge crowds (albeit at European festivals), it probably is a downer to be playing to 3/4 crowd at the Black Cat.
oword

markie

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2005, 10:49:00 am »
If Scottish people get any more cheerful than Roddy was last night its a sure sign they are really American or on drugs.

He seemed in fine form to me. Then again I have only seen them 6 times over the space of 8 years.

ggw

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2005, 10:54:00 am »
I thought Idlewild were excellent.  Even the new stuff - which I'm not terribly fond of on record - sounded very good live.

sonickteam2

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2005, 11:22:00 am »

But I did get the feeling that Roddy is wondering where it all went wrong. Maybe it was just fatigue, but he seemed disappointed in it all. After playing for huge crowds (albeit at European festivals), it probably is a downer to be playing to 3/4 crowd at the Black Cat.
yeah, the 8X10 is even smaller (by a lot!)

after talking to them after the show saturday, i dont think they were very bummed out by playing small shows, as they are aware its the only promotion they are going to get. and we were all up late drinking Sat night, which couldve been why they look tired!!!

and the black cat always makes me tired anyway!

idlewild is no question one of the best bands around right now, and though i think they should be selling millions of records, i am glad i got to see them with only two people standing in front of me!!!!  :)