Author Topic: stellastarr*  (Read 6794 times)

jkeisenh

Re: stellastarr*
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2004, 05:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by ballard:
  How does this make them more feminist? Just how do you define "feminist"?

SK is one of those bands preoccupied with being accessible. They struggle to keep show prices down, to make sure they book all-ages shows, and to make sure everyone's welcome. It's a feminist thing as much as it's a nice-people thing.
In this case, believing in involving *all*, regardless of age or financial means, as much as possible.  (It's like anti-exclusionist.)

ggw

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2004, 05:30:00 pm »
Fugazi was doing it long before S-K.  It's a DIY thing more than a feminist thing.

Originally posted by chimblysweep:

SK is one of those bands preoccupied with being accessible. They struggle to keep show prices down, to make sure they book all-ages shows, and to make sure everyone's welcome. It's a feminist thing as much as it's a nice-people thing.
In this case, believing in involving *all*, regardless of age or financial means, as much as possible.  (It's like anti-exclusionist.) [/b]

brennser

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2004, 05:31:00 pm »
any chance you're capable of keeping the subject matter focused on the music  
quite capable, after all I recommended you listen to Billy Bragg, its just hard when people like you talk nonsensical shite

jkeisenh

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2004, 06:09:00 pm »
Are you implying that men can be feminists or do something that's feminist??

Feminist is a way of thinking... you don't have to say to yourself "gosh that's feminist" for something to be so.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Fugazi was doing it long before S-K.  It's a DIY thing more than a feminist thing.

In this case, believing in involving *all*, regardless of age or financial means, as much as possible.  (It's like anti-exclusionist.) [/b]
[/b]

Bags

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2004, 06:11:00 pm »
I've never been lectured to or told not to smoke/slam/whatever by S-K.  Besides, if it's all about the music, which you just chided brennser for, it's got nothing to do with how hard and well they ROCK.

Still, you can hate 'em for any reason.  And I can think you're crazy.    :p

ggw

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2004, 06:13:00 pm »
  Are you implying that men can be feminists or do something that's feminist??

Feminist is a way of thinking... you don't have to say to yourself "gosh that's feminist" for something to be so.

I don't see how admitting all regardless of age or financial means is a feminist thing.

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2004, 06:17:00 pm »
The Baptist church I attended when i was a child admitted people of all ages and financial means. Were they being feminist?

Bags

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2004, 01:22:00 pm »
I think this is so funny....this is from this half hour's WOXY playlist (which auto-refreshes and lists the last five songs played):

"01:16:44  STELLASTARR* CANCELLED THEIR IN-STUDIO. HONESTLY, I JUST DON'T THINK THEY WANTED TO DO IT. MIKE"

Jaguär

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2004, 02:03:00 pm »
Probably road weary.