Author Topic: those nike hipsters  (Read 5216 times)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: those nike hipsters
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 12:41:00 pm »
Even if so, It's still a load of crock, in that it implies that the 2 guys in the art department were solely responsible for deciding to do that campaign.  Not likely.
_\|/_

Sage 703

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005, 01:49:00 pm »
I posted this on the DCist about this - think its still true:

something worth mentioning...

isn't there a high likelyhood that Nike just wants to get sued here? think about it - this ad was just a PDF online, and I'm sure a print flier or something put up around cities. surely not an expensive campaign by Nike standards, and I guarantee you that they're not stupid enough to rip off that image without asking permission and think they won't get sued.

so this is what I imagine the rationale was:

Rip off Minor Threat cover. Minimal ad costs at first. Get sued by Dischord. Settle out of court for a few million bucks (which is likely still cheaper than the usual ad campaigns). Get lots of press associating Nike with Minor Threat. Get street cred for skateboarding line, because now Nike is not just "evil corporation," but an "evil corporation that knows good music."

I think its a rather brilliant publicity move. Shady? Definitely. But probably is going to have exactly the effect that they want, and likely the one that they planned for.

Posted by: Chris at June 24, 2005

Obviously the apology made the indie cred point abundantly clear - so now they don't get sued, and still get the press for it.  Brilliant.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 01:55:00 pm »
Just wear Brooks, or New Balance. Or Adidas.

sonickteam2

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2005, 02:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
i like my Birkenstocks, thank you!

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2005, 02:40:00 pm »
hippie!

Originally posted by sonickteam4:

i like my Birkenstocks, thank you! [/b]

godsshoeshine

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2005, 02:43:00 pm »
right now i'm all about the saucony
o/\o

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2005, 02:48:00 pm »
chuck the new chucks, because the old chucks don't suck
T.Rex

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2005, 02:50:00 pm »
Talk about an uncomfortable shoe. But I guess it's style over comfort for the hipsters.

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

godsshoeshine

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2005, 02:58:00 pm »
  Talk about an uncomfortable shoe. But I guess it's style over comfort for the hipsters.

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
[/b]
the chucks are terrible. might as wear flipflops. saucony is pretty comfy
o/\o

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2005, 03:18:00 pm »
Hopefully at least some of them have better taste in music that would prevent them from listening to stuff as lousy as Minor Threat.

Originally posted by chimbly sweep:

Originally posted by amnesiac:
   All of Nike employees responsible for the creation of the tour flyer are fans of both Minor Threat and Dischord Records and have nothing but respect for both.
Sure.  They all love Minor Threat.  All of them.

this is such drivel. [/b]

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2005, 05:08:00 pm »
the only shoes i wear are new balance 574's, i got a bunch of em ...
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2005, 05:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:

Originally posted by amnesiac:
   All of Nike employees responsible for the creation of the tour flyer are fans of both Minor Threat and Dischord Records and have nothing but respect for both.
Sure.  They all love Minor Threat.  All of them.
 [/b]
no offense, but does anyone actually listen to minor threat anymore?  i understand liking them as an idea or admiring their DIY ethics or their influence, but their music is really fucking hard to get through ... i picked up their complete discography for $10, listened to it once, and sold it back immediately ...

and i'm not just a punk hater, i like (but don't idolize) fugazi, and i like some hardcore music ... just can't stand minor threat ...
(o|o)

thirsty moore

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2005, 07:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
 no offense, but does anyone actually listen to minor threat anymore?  i understand liking them as an idea or admiring their DIY ethics or their influence, but their music is really fucking hard to get through ... i picked up their complete discography for $10, listened to it once, and sold it back immediately ...
The complete discography's overkill.  I really think the first half is excellent though.  Their album "First Two Seven Inches"  was my intro to hardcore.

*edit*

I think the age when you hear Minor Threat is also a big factor.  I was in 10th grade.  A twenty something is probably looking for something else from music.

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2005, 08:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:
  I posted this on the DCist about this - think its still true:

something worth mentioning...

isn't there a high likelyhood that Nike just wants to get sued here? ...

Rip off Minor Threat cover. Minimal ad costs at first. Get sued by Dischord. Settle out of court for a few million bucks (which is likely still cheaper than the usual ad campaigns). Get lots of press associating Nike with Minor Threat. Get street cred for skateboarding line, because now Nike is not just "evil corporation," but an "evil corporation that knows good music."
Dischord gives money to Positive Force, which uses money to start/revitalize an anti-sweatshop campaign.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2005, 10:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by econo:
 I think the age when you hear Minor Threat is also a big factor.  I was in 10th grade.  A twenty something is probably looking for something else from music.
yeah, this is exactly what i was thinking, and makes  total sense ... i just think minor threat is one of those bands that people don't really listen to, but extoll their greatness regularly (DC actually has a few of them, rites of spring anyone?)
(o|o)