Author Topic: The Shins... behind white stripes?? why?  (Read 6359 times)

ggw

Re: The Shins... behind white stripes?? why?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 09:26:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam4:
  Actually, I just downloaded the Stripes new disc (temporarily, dont worry)
Is that like stealing a car simply for a joy ride?

sonickteam2

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 09:32:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Actually, I just downloaded the Stripes new disc (temporarily, dont worry)
Is that like stealing a car simply for a joy ride? [/b]
eh, sorta. I will buy it in a couple weeks, I just got super excited to hear the new songs though. and seeing as how i just dropped $200 on concert tickets, I figured i was entitled to a free preview of their newest material,

mike9182

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 09:36:00 am »
Yeah... I unfortunately only got into the shins last summer when I discovered my friend had put Chutes too narrow on my computer.  And I only got into Radiohead around the same time through hail to the thief... Strangely those are both two of my favorite bands of all time now, and I feel like I was deprived before last summer not really having beene exposed to either band.

sonickteam2

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 09:39:00 am »
Originally posted by mike9182:
   And I only got into Radiohead around the same time through hail to the thief...  
how is that possible? are you 10?

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2005, 09:44:00 am »
 And I only got into Radiohead around the same time through hail to the thief...
May I suggest you give a listen to this other hot new Brit band called The Beatles next?

grotty

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2005, 09:46:00 am »
  Actually, I just downloaded the Stripes new disc (temporarily, dont worry) and was listening to some tracks, and even though their first single "Blue Orchid" is jammin, the rest of the disc seems like its REALLY slow and boring.

i just kinda scanned through it but , whats up with that?  anyone hear the disc yet?
Check out tracks #8 & #12.

NOT slow & boring.

I like it.

mike9182

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2005, 09:48:00 am »
Nope, 19.  I had heard creep of course and I had learned to play fake plastic trees at the request of a friend, but I never pursued their music any further until last summer.  Hard for me to believe too.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2005, 10:02:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

I realize that the Stripes have a much wider commercial appeal.  I think, however, that the Shins have enough of a commercial appeal to headline their own tour, even if it means more intimate venues than Merriweather.  
You make it sound like they've never toured before.  They played 2 sold-out shows at the Black Cat last year.  I'm sure as soon as they release something new, they'll be playing sold-out 9:30 shows.  They're nowhere near Merriweather-ready though. [/b]
actually, i'm a bit surprised that the shins haven't been touring their ass off in the last year or so ala interpol or something ... they hit the peak of their popularity with garden state and they're nowhere to be found, they could have really been cashing in with constant touring ...

i guess not much about them though is "normal", they have one of the most introverted frontmen i've seen

[rant] i'm so sick of people on here whining about commercially successful artists either a) headlining or b) playing in larger venues ... it's pretty fucking simple, you sell records, you'll headline and play in big venues; you don't, and you won't ... it's not like the guy lining up the show rates the bands on artistic integrity and "gives them a shot" at selling out an outdoor amphitheater ... the most annoying part about the whining is that it's 90% disingenous, like you're trying to show us all a) how you cool you are that you know that a certain band is better or b) how indie you are that you had NO IDEA a band was more mainstream than another [/rant]
(o|o)

amnesiac

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2005, 10:07:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  But have they toured since the release of Garden State? That's when most people "discovered" the Shins.

They did a short tour a couple months ago, but skipped over DC. I saw em in Philly at the Electric Factory. Great show.

They are certainly popular enough to sell out 930. Agreed?  
It was sold out, and I think the EF is considerably larger than the 9:30.

sonickteam2

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2005, 10:09:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
  b) how indie you are that you had NO IDEA a band was more mainstream than another [/rant]
thats a funny one. Although i have been criticized for doing that myself. not just with music, but with other things. Like a few weeks ago someone didnt believe me that i didnt know what "Desperate Housewives" was.  i really didnt. sorry.

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2005, 10:15:00 am »
My college roommate didn't know who Michael Stipe was, and this was 5 years ago.

He was quite familiar with Jello Biaffra, Genesis P-Orridge, Ian MacKaye, Negativeland, and Mike Ness 15 years ago, as well as listening to lots of music that sounded like clanging bells to me.

ratioci nation

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2005, 10:19:00 am »
Am I the only one who thinks Dave Matthews Band should be opening for Blue Merle and NOT the other way around?!?

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2005, 10:20:00 am »
Originally posted by general grievous:
  Am I the only one who thinks Dave Matthews Band should be opening for Blue Merle and NOT the other way around?!?
I have absolutely no clue who Blue Merle is, and yet I agree wholeheartedly.

mike9182

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2005, 10:24:00 am »
This all boils down to me a) wanting to see them play longer and b) not wanting to drive to merriweather,nothing more.  I'm clearly not trying to look "cool", as i readily admitted I only got into the shins and radiohead a year ago.

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2005, 10:24:00 am »
Am I the only on who thinks that Dave Matthews Band should be opening for Drive By Truckers, and NOT the other way around?

http://www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdates.html

Originally posted by general grievous: