Author Topic: The Shins... behind white stripes?? why?  (Read 6482 times)

grotty

Re: The Shins... behind white stripes?? why?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2005, 10:27:00 am »
The Shins are going to be exposed by the White Stripes.

A very strange pairing. It's not a matter of who should be opening for who. It should be a matter of complimentary styles.

I could pick 20 bands that would be better openers.

No way the Shins could/should play after the White Stripes.

I've seen them both & the energy @ at White Stripes gig is intense - It's 'rock n roll'. The Shins are just nice.

grotty

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2005, 10:34:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  Am I the only on who thinks that Dave Matthews Band should be opening for Drive By Truckers, and NOT the other way around?

http://www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdates.html

Originally posted by general grievous:
  Am I the only one who thinks Dave Matthews Band should be opening for Blue Merle and NOT the other way around?!?
[/b]
I was very sad to see this.

Bags

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2005, 10:37:00 am »
Originally posted by mike9182:
  Does anyone else think the White Stripes should be opening for the Shins rather than the other way around?  I can't believe they are finally coming to our area, but only to open for the White Stripes.  Agreed?
No, this is the way of the world.  I'm astounded again and again at people who think "my favorite band should always headline the best club in the city."  Come on, you know it doesn't work that way.

Sometimes there are some truly surprising lineups where a band that had been bigger (ie, generated more revenue, not got higher critical acclaim) opens for a less commercially successful band.  But, often that opening band is years old and hasn't proven their mettle for a while, and most of the time we find out the 'lesser' band headlining has actually been raking it in for their record companies, et al.

Dude, I think Foo Fighters should open for Sloan.  Not gonna happen.

Obviously you missed the TWO headlining shows the Shins played at the Black Cat less than a year ago...

Plus, I'm not sure the Shins have the 'reach' to really dazzle crowds at a place like Merriweather.  I'm really happy they're opening, and their slot was the tipping point for me to decide to get tickets, but doesn't mean they could carry the place themselves by any means.

BookerT

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2005, 10:39:00 am »
the shins may not have been touring their asses off lately, but they sure did when that first album came out. i saw them as an opener at the black cat three times around then, with red house painters, preston school of industry and modest mouse. that's a lot of shows in this area for a west coast band.

and wasn't that scene in "garden state" just totally cringe worthy? we get it zach braff. you think the shins are cool. aren't you hip? peter sarsgaard was the only good thing about that movie. he's the new john c. reilly, i tell ya.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2005, 10:44:00 am »
Originally posted by BookerT:
  the shins may not have been touring their asses off lately, but they sure did when that first album came out. i saw them as an opener at the black cat three times around then, with red house painters, preston school of industry and modest mouse. that's a lot of shows in this area for a west coast band.
yeah, but i'm sure they didn't make shit from those early shows ... they could have pulled an interpol and sold out the 930 club 3 times in the last year if they wanted to ... im not knocking them, it just seems like they've retreated when they've hit their peak, kind of refreshing actually ... overexposure is a bitch ...
(o|o)

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2005, 10:47:00 am »
What REALLY makes Zach Braff hip is his dating Mandy Moore (She's Thurston's daughter, right?).

Originally posted by BookerT:

and wasn't that scene in "garden state" just totally cringe worthy? we get it zach braff. you think the shins are cool. aren't you hip? peter sarsgaard was the only good thing about that movie. he's the new john c. reilly, i tell ya.

K8teebug

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2005, 11:05:00 am »
The shins have been here a crapload of times.  They opened up for Modest Mouse at the Black cat years ago...

MistressKelly

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2005, 11:08:00 am »
What I really want to know is... Is keyboardist Marty Crandall's girlfriend gonna be there?

Elyse Sewell was robbed on America's Next Top Model 3.

LOL

Kelly

p.s.  No one came up to say "hi" at the Bloc Party show.    ;)

mike9182

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2005, 11:13:00 am »
When exactly was the last time the Shins played Black Cat? I'm disapointed I missed it.

Bags

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2005, 11:18:00 am »
  When exactly was the last time the Shins played Black Cat? I'm disapointed I missed it.
Feb 10 & 11, 2004

[or Feb 8 & 10 -- don't remember if I went to the first or second show at Black Cat]

mike9182

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2005, 11:23:00 am »
Are "General Admission floor" tickets right in front of the stage at merriweather?

sonickteam2

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2005, 11:32:00 am »
  Are "General Admission floor" tickets right in front of the stage at merriweather?
affirmative.  you can double check by the ticket price.  if they are $40 they're in the Pit, if they're $25 they are lawn. pretty sure the lawn tickets say LAWN though.

groovyside

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2005, 11:55:00 am »
look at the bright side:  go see them opening for the white stripes, and then if you're not interested in the headliners, you get to leave and beat the traffic rush.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2005, 12:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by endymionluna:
  look at the bright side:  go see them opening for the white stripes, and then if you're not interested in the headliners, you get to leave and beat the traffic rush.
and you can pay $50/ticket for an opening set ... thanks, mr. brightside
(o|o)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2005, 12:16:00 pm »
Merriweather Seating