Author Topic: Site for next Forum gathering...  (Read 5684 times)

thirsty moore

Re: Site for next Forum gathering...
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2004, 05:35:00 pm »
I'm going to preface this with the idea that if companies gave a damn about what temps they hired, perhaps they'd get better quality work out of them.  Similarly, they would expect more out of the temps.

You are correct, but I hesitate to call what you describe "benefits".  Sure, I don't have to go into work everyday.  I don't have to work that hard, and on downtime I sneak around on the forum.  But the downside is that I don't know anyone at any of the offices, pretty much everyday is your first day, and people don't expect anything from you.  And finally, being referred to as "the Temp" is downright insulting.

As I stated earlier, how you treat people that Temp for you is commendable.  Showing someone the bigger picture allows them the opportunity to actually know what the hell they're aiming to accomplish.  

Okay, that's all for my rant.  I'm pretty sure I haven't complained about this before, so I'll leave it at this.

Originally posted by Ball Girl:
  what I *said* doesn't screw temps over...it's just the fact of the marketplace...a business will hire a temp ususually because they don't have enough work to justify the cost of having another full-time employee receiving benefits on their books...my comments were meant to highlight some up-sides to being a temp...basically a company should not expect that a temp would be highly committed to their projects or feel really invested in the work...if the temp *is* that speaks well for them

Celeste

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2004, 05:38:00 pm »
you'll like this one, too...I even set up the network password for temps to be "tempsrule"...

thirsty moore

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2004, 05:46:00 pm »
It brings a tear to the eye, it does.

eltee

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2004, 05:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by Ball Girl:

Originally posted by El Tee:
  I hated being a temp...I was left out of meetings...
And this is bad, how? (I don't like meeting so much   :)   ) [/b]
I hear ya  ;) ...but I suppose I meant something similar to Thirsty's comments...being a part of the meetings helps set the bigger picture. It's an opportunity to be included in the work. Some of the discussions or decisions in meetings are the projects that you end up working on.
 Aw heck, who am I kidding. I hate meetings. But at the time, I was so bored as a temp and no one talked to me, I'd do anything.
 ggw's question - for me I couldn't find a full-time job, so I had to take what I could get. I looked for temp jobs in my field, and there were "promises" that it would become permanent.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2004, 06:02:00 pm »
sometimes temp jobs can lead to real jobs
o/\o

eltee

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2004, 06:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  sometimes temp jobs can lead to real jobs
I agree. That's one reason why I took it. I found out after it would never be the case. They should let temps talk to full-time employees before they take the job.  ;)

thirsty moore

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2004, 07:27:00 pm »
El Tee, check your PM!

eltee

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2004, 08:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  El Tee, check your PM!
Roger.
 Check your email.