Author Topic: Albums in 2007  (Read 23047 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Albums in 2007
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »
Speaking of Queens of the Stone Age, how the hell is it possible that their first LP has gone out of print? Wow.

Reod Dai

« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2007, 11:57:00 pm »
New Weakerthans sometime this fall.  Awesomeness.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2007, 12:18:00 pm »
The Cinematics - A Strange Education

Very good album. I cant get enough of it. For those seeing The Bravery - I suggest buying it at the show  :)
HeyLa

ggw

« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2007, 01:15:00 pm »
New Dungen comes out tomorrow.

New Editors comes out next month.  First single:
 http://www.zshare.net/audio/01-smokers-outside-the-hospital-doors-mp3.html

Relaxer

« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  Still can't get over how phenominal this Panda Bear is!
I bought this on a whim and have only listened to it 3-4 times, but so far, I'm just not getting it. All the songs seem like Intro pieces to an epic album. They swirl and there's neat musical interludes, but the songs don't seem to go anywhere. What do you like so much about it?
oword

« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2007, 01:40:00 pm »

azaghal1981

« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2007, 04:10:00 am »
Over all, the great, dense layers of sounds, the placement of different field recordings throughout, the ambient feel of the whole album, the beautiful Brian Wilson-esque vocal harmonies and much of the lyrical content which he recently posted here:
 http://blog.myspace.com/rippityrippity
 I can give a track-by-track run-down later today if need be.  :)

Originally posted by Relaxer:

Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  Still can't get over how phenominal this Panda Bear is!
I bought this on a whim and have only listened to it 3-4 times, but so far, I'm just not getting it. All the songs seem like Intro pieces to an epic album. They swirl and there's neat musical interludes, but the songs don't seem to go anywhere. What do you like so much about it? [/b]
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2007, 09:05:00 pm »
New Meat Puppets is on oink. This should be interesting.
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2007, 12:07:00 am »
Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam tracklist:

1. Peacebone
 2. Unsolved Mysteries
 3. Chores
 4. For Reverend Green
 5. Fireworks
 7. Winter Wonder Land
 8. Cuckoo Cuckoo
 9. Derek
احمد

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2007, 08:08:00 pm »

azaghal1981

« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2007, 11:17:00 am »
I'm liking the new Shellac a lot after the first listen.
احمد

bearman🐻

« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2007, 11:57:00 am »
What is the release date on the Shellac record?

azaghal1981

« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2007, 12:02:00 pm »
A week from today.
احمد

« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2007, 09:23:00 am »
Bettye LaVette Returns to 'The Scene of the Crime' With Accomplices the Drive By Truckers, Spooner Oldham; New Record Out Sept. 25 on Anti-
 LOS ANGELES, CA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- May 30, 2007 -- With the arrival of her new CD "THE SCENE OF THE CRIME," the flinty, intense soul stylist BETTYE LAVETTE unleashes a set of aggressive, sublimely crafted songs that are nothing short of mesmerizing. Accompanied by the freewheeling renegade Southern rock band Drive By Truckers, "THE SCENE OF THE CRIME" is a multifaceted gem, ablaze with the unusual light cast by LAVETTE's complex layers of wrath, reflection and resolve. Recorded in the classic soul mine of Muscle Shoals' FAME Studios, the set is fraught with dire psychological elements. "THE SCENE OF THE CRIME" represents a volatile bid to dispel the shadow still cast by LAVETTE's simmering frustration over her stillborn Muscle Shoals-recorded 1972 masterpiece "Child of the Seventies," an album that Atlantic Records maddeningly -- and inexplicably -- shelved before anyone heard it.

LAVETTE's vocals, a richly calculated union of blunt force trauma and unspeakable tenderness, boil over with long-carried need to flout that blow. Using a hand-picked set of titles by a diverse set of writers (from Willie Nelson to Elton John) LAVETTE foments another artistic revolution as she quells an aching personal thwart. Her revelatory, communicative performances confront decades of aggravation and disappointment not with bitterness, but upright defiance. The "THE SCENE OF THE CRIME" equation is enhanced further by contributions from two Muscle Shoals mainstays, keyboardist Spooner Oldham and bassist David Hood (who just happens to be father of Drive By Truckers guitarist Patterson Hood), and the sound achieved -- gritty, restrained, fuzz-gilded, deep soul-rock grooves -- provides ideal support.

The result of this striking convergence is profound, a resonant, emotional conquest of forty five years of hurt and bad memories. LAVETTE is captured in full fury, cementing the promise of 2005's extraordinary "I've Got My Own Hell to Raise," a glorious reintroduction which also re-asserted her as one of America's most forceful and accomplished soul singers. While few were prepared for the hammering ardor of the Detroit soul veteran's approach, the disc was met with high praise ("an album of harrowing beauty," New York Times; "grabs listeners by the shoulders and insists they pay heed," Wall Street Journal) and won LAVETTE a long overdue measure of recognition.

Now, "THE SCENE OF THE CRIME" delivers an even more intimate session with the unrivaled singer. It also underscores the might of the Drive By Truckers, a young band who have been steadily increasing their own cachet. As the LA Times' Ann Powers said of their recent Stagecoach festival appearance, "the Truckers earned the right to a title several artists vied for this weekend: rightful heirs to the legacy of 1960s pioneers the Band." LAVETTE herself said, "To have recorded with Patterson's father all those years ago, and now to have recorded with both of them was singularly unique, and since it didn't happen for me the other time in Muscle Shoals, this was really a relief -- I'm trying to avoid using the word revenge. And it's great to be able to show up with a strong voice and able to fit into a size 6 dress, so, really, the only ones I'm still angry with are those who died -- because they can't see me." This powerful, multi-generational mixture brings a remarkable gravity, and "THE SCENE OF THE CRIME" is a passionately declarative artistic achievement, one that could only have originated with the incomparable BETTYE LAVETTE.

brennser

« Reply #134 on: June 05, 2007, 03:59:00 pm »