Author Topic: The Travel Thread  (Read 16039 times)

eltee

Re: The Travel Thread
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2008, 03:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  irish people arent big on credit cards either. i believe we only landed with maybe â?¬100. that did not get us far
I was okay with using mine. Only got one look and my purchase was over $50, so I gave the look back. Other than that, friendly response when I used it.  I had plenty of cash and then added to the pot after a few days. The exchange rate & fee was so expensive at Union Station but worse once you get there, so ATM is the way to go.
 No travelers cheques, apparently it's not recommended (anymore).
 I used cash for on the spot, cheap stuff; card for larger purchases. Never tried getting cash at point of purchase...does that work overseas?

slowgraffiti

« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  go out to a bar and meet people, but don't drink?  or drink non-alcoholic drinks?

have you checked out malmo?
yeah, i went out anyway and ran into $7 draft, which i could not turn down.

is malmo worth visiting?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2008, 11:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by slowgraffiti:
 yeah, i went out anyway and ran into $7 draft, which i could not turn down.
meet any local hotties?!?

is malmo worth visiting?
never been there, but i'm told it's worth a day or two.  big university town, good amount of historical and cultural points of interest, etc.  at a minimum, it's a change of scenery from stockholm  :)
<sig>

slowgraffiti

« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2008, 03:26:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:

[qb]yeah, i went out anyway and ran into $7 draft, which i could not turn down.[/b]
meet any local hotties?!?

Only on the train. This one guy recommended a good neighborhood, but the bar I randomly chose was this indie nightclub where everybody came in a really big group of friends. On the way back I talked up this babe from Holland, but he had to change trains. There's always tonight I guess.

If I can find a place to stay, I'll give Malmo a shot.