Author Topic: Wilco  (Read 18965 times)

Mobius

Re: Wilco
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2006, 11:57:00 am »
Originally posted by BoomBoom:
  No, it's the system. When half or more of the tickets are gone before a show is even "officially" announced, that plum sucks. I've participated in pre-sales and gotten tickets for shows after not participating in pre-sales. But it still bothers me as a fan that the 9:30 Club, and some bands, want people to jump through these extra hoops just to go to a show.
If it makes you feel any better, the show was listed in the Express this morning.

eltee

« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2006, 11:58:00 am »
Originally posted by mbvfan:
  Like I said, I'm shocked that I got any tickets.  I was prepared to be pissed off again.
 It's a problem that's great to bitch about but it would be better if someone had a solution on how to actually get tix at 10am for a show.
Maybe people were luckier this time since so many seem to have missed the 9:30 pre-sale announcement in the newsletter. Perhaps the recent holiday mucked up mail delivery.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2006, 12:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mobius:

No, it's the system. When half or more of the tickets are gone before a show is even "officially" announced, that plum sucks. I've participated in pre-sales and gotten tickets for shows after not participating in pre-sales. But it still bothers me as a fan that the 9:30 Club, and some bands, want people to jump through these extra hoops just to go to a show.
If it makes you feel any better, the show was listed in the Express this morning. [/b]
what was the word the person used that got all bent out of shape when something was announced via  Volume...  treemail or treeware possibly?  

his rant was basically he had no use for any type of communication that came printed on paper, it's was to be all electronic or nothing..
T.Rex

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2006, 12:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by mbvfan:
  I'm shocked that I got 4.  To the person above who said that they've never been shut out from buying tickets to any show at 930 it happens to me all the time.  
Really?  All the time?  Most shows aren't instant sellouts.  Even the ones that go fairly quickly aren't that hard, if you can sit there and just keep trying to an hour or so.  

That being said, there are a few shows that are always really hard to get tickets for.  Wilco included.

It's a problem that's great to bitch about but it would be better if someone had a solution on how to actually get tix at 10am for a show.
There is no "solution".  If 5000 people want tickets to a 1000 seat club - 80% are going to be shutout.  There's no way to "fix" that.  You just have to be there at 10:00, be persistent and cross your fingers.

Congrats on getting tickets.  Wilco is always a tough one.  But as you can see - it's not impossible.

ggw

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2006, 12:26:00 pm »
"Pre-sales" are hardly a new phenomenon.  Anyone who saw the Dead back in the day probably remembers calling 1-800-whatever-it-was and getting all the info about mail-order dates; listing your first and second choices; sase; etc....

jpfandom

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2006, 12:29:00 pm »
I got tix this morning. Fortunate...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2006, 12:35:00 pm »
It's a problem that's great to bitch about but it would be better if someone had a solution on how to actually get tix at 10am for a show. [/QB]
solution: improve ticket.com's ability to deal with a 10:00 AM surge - more servers, more bandwidth, more reliable back-end software, etc.  not much we can do.  until that happens, be prepared to read "We're sorry, we were unable to process your request due to high transaction volumes. Please try to submit your request again."  and don't say it can't be done - ticketmaster can handle much higher spikes, effectively.
<sig>

JohnnyBaconbitz

« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2006, 12:46:00 pm »
Congrats to BoomBoom!

You win the award for "D-Bag Crybaby of the Month!"

Oh, and no one here honestly believes that you'll be on the guest list, so just stop...

By the way, with three seperate sales, everyone I know with half a brain who wanted tickets got them.

Good work, jackass.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2006, 12:48:00 pm »
FYI those message are tickets.com way of handling high volumes... If you are seeing that message it mostly likely means that the show is already sold out.  Remember it only takes a few hundred orders to be place before the show sells out.  If tickets.com continued to let people attempt to order what isn't available there would be problems with lost orders etc..
T.Rex

renton007

« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2006, 12:54:00 pm »
Hey, at least DCist didn't spill the pre-sale password.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2006, 12:56:00 pm »
kosmo, i'd be cool with that if it wasn't for the fact that people (including myself) have managed to get tickets after getting that message.  this tells me that the system can't handle the volume, and lets new people buy once capacity is available again...

if the message i quoted was their way of saying it's sold out - why not just say "sold out"?
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2006, 12:58:00 pm »
Not true. When you get this message, it means  you need to hit the back button and try again..and you'll get tickets  :)  That's from experience.

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  FYI those message are tickets.com way of handling high volumes... If you are seeing that message it mostly likely means that the show is already sold out.  Remember it only takes a few hundred orders to be place before the show sells out.  If tickets.com continued to let people attempt to order what isn't available there would be problems with lost orders etc..
(_|_)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2006, 01:03:00 pm »
maybe what i'm thinking about is the virtual waiting  room that gets created once in awhile... part of the problem is sure tickets.com could put in all the server power and bandwidth is order to facilitate the smooth instant sellout of a show, but it would be costly to do so and result in ticket fees going up, especially if it's sittting there unused 95% of the time.
T.Rex

BoomBoom

« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2006, 01:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by JohnnyBaconbitz:
  Congrats to BoomBoom!

You win the award for "D-Bag Crybaby of the Month!"

Oh, and no one here honestly believes that you'll be on the guest list, so just stop...

By the way, with three seperate sales, everyone I know with half a brain who wanted tickets got them.

Good work, jackass.
Anyone with a half a brain....Well, you're living proof of that. Like I said, I will be at the show. Even if I'd got a ticket this morning, I'd still be disgusted about the lousy pre-sale/sale system.

BoomBoom

« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2006, 01:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

When half or more of the tickets are gone before a show is even "officially" announced, that plum sucks.
"Half or more" of the tickets were gone?

From where did you get that information? [/b]
That's the problem, isn't it? Nobody knows how many tickets they sell in advance. Could be 90% for all you or I know.