Author Topic: The novelty has officially worn off  (Read 10706 times)

grotty

  • Guest
Re: The novelty has officially worn off
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2004, 12:49:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Puss E. Lipps:
     
Quote
Originally posted by Rutherford J. Balls:
  If you were indeed the owner of a 100 yard driveway, it would be indicative of your owning more than the miniscule quarter acre lot that is typical here in DC.
those quarter acre lots in DC would probably go for close to a million if not higher, anyway, even if you could fit a 100 yard driveway [/b]
I owned the same size house and lot in Northern Bethesda (Rockville actually, but we could use the address because White Flint did) that I do now in Pittsburgh. Even the costs were equivalent. I thought I would save huge dollars per month, but my mortgage nearly doubled. It's a tax thing. Just another reason to question why I moved here.

mankie

  • Guest
Re: The novelty has officially worn off
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2004, 12:59:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by grotty:
   
Quote
Originally posted by Puss E. Lipps:
     
Quote
Originally posted by Rutherford J. Balls:
  If you were indeed the owner of a 100 yard driveway, it would be indicative of your owning more than the miniscule quarter acre lot that is typical here in DC.
those quarter acre lots in DC would probably go for close to a million if not higher, anyway, even if you could fit a 100 yard driveway [/b]
I owned the same size house and lot in Northern Bethesda (Rockville actually, but we could use the address because White Flint did) that I do now in Pittsburgh. Even the costs were equivalent. I thought I would save huge dollars per month, but my mortgage nearly doubled. It's a tax thing. Just another reason to question why I moved here. [/b]
It was either move, or cut your mullet off!

grotty

  • Guest
Re: The novelty has officially worn off
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2004, 01:05:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by mankie:
     
Quote
[/b]
I owned the same size house and lot in Northern Bethesda (Rockville actually, but we could use the address because White Flint did) that I do now in Pittsburgh. Even the costs were equivalent. I thought I would save huge dollars per month, but my mortgage nearly doubled. It's a tax thing. Just another reason to question why I moved here. [/qb]
It was either move, or cut your mullet off! [/QB][/QUOTE]
 
 ****************************************
 
 Whoa - now you're getting personal..."my mullet is the champagne of hair."
    :D  
  Mullets have Merit
 
 "business in the front...party in the back"

mankie

  • Guest
Re: The novelty has officially worn off
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2004, 01:09:00 pm »
BTW, why were you shovelling your driveway? Don't they have Mexicans in Pittsburgh?

grotty

  • Guest
Re: The novelty has officially worn off
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2004, 01:13:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by mankie:
  BTW, why were you shovelling your driveway? Don't they have Mexicans in Pittsburgh?
#1 - I can't afford them since I spend all my $$ paying for such an extravagant house      ;)    
 
 #2 - They just opened a Baja Fresh nearby & the employees were the first Mexicans I've seen. I did try to lure a few of them away with an offer of a couple more cents per hour, but in the end it came down to benefits. Something I'm just not prepared to offer at this time.   :p

godsshoeshine

  • Member
  • Posts: 4826
Re: The novelty has officially worn off
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2004, 01:32:00 pm »
there are no mexicans in pittsburgh.
 
 you must live in shadyside or something to pay the same in the burgh as you did in bethesda. my rent is like double in bailey's crossroads from the ole south side rates. and i have a roommate here.
o/\o

mankie

  • Guest
Re: The novelty has officially worn off
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2004, 01:39:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by grotty:
 
Quote
#2 - They just opened a Baja Fresh nearby & the employees were the first Mexicans I've seen. I did try to lure a few of them away with an offer of a couple more cents per hour, but in the end it came down to benefits. Something I'm just not prepared to offer at this time.    :p  [/b]
I've noticed that...how does Baja get away with only hiring hispanics? If it was a place selling white folk food and only hired whites there'd be lawsuits all over the place.

thirsty moore

  • Member
  • Posts: 6131
Re: The novelty has officially worn off
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2004, 03:52:00 pm »
Good point.  What was it that got Lenny's, I mean Denny's, in trouble?
 
 
Quote
Originally posted by mankie:
 I've noticed that...how does Baja get away with only hiring hispanics? If it was a place selling white folk food and only hired whites there'd be lawsuits all over the place.

godsshoeshine

  • Member
  • Posts: 4826
Re: The novelty has officially worn off
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2004, 03:56:00 pm »
i am just blown away that there are enough hispanic people in pittsburgh to open a baja fresh. my favorite mexican restraunt (mad mex) had all white kids working there
o/\o

ggw

  • Member
  • Posts: 14237
Re: The novelty has officially worn off
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2004, 03:56:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Good point.  What was it that got Lenny's, I mean Denny's, in trouble?
 
   
Quote
Originally posted by mankie:
 I've noticed that...how does Baja get away with only hiring hispanics? If it was a place selling white folk food and only hired whites there'd be lawsuits all over the place.
[/b]
I thought Denny's got in trouble for not waiting on black customers who came into their restaurants.

keithstg

  • Member
  • Posts: 402
Re: The novelty has officially worn off
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2004, 04:03:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by ggw?:
   
Quote
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Good point.  What was it that got Lenny's, I mean Denny's, in trouble?
 
   
Quote
Originally posted by mankie:
 I've noticed that...how does Baja get away with only hiring hispanics? If it was a place selling white folk food and only hired whites there'd be lawsuits all over the place.
[/b]
I thought Denny's got in trouble for not waiting on black customers who came into their restaurants. [/b]
Yes they did. Around 1994-1995 I think. The NY Times maagazine ran an article called Discrimination, Sunny Side Up....

Re: The novelty has officially worn off
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2004, 04:08:00 pm »
Aresenio used Denny's as the butt of his monologue jokes for about a month straight.
 
 Gawd, how I miss the Arsenio Hall show.

thirsty moore

  • Member
  • Posts: 6131
Re: The novelty has officially worn off
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2004, 04:23:00 pm »
Thanks for the clarification.  As you can see in my previous post, I was asking what got them in trouble.

thirsty moore

  • Member
  • Posts: 6131
Re: The novelty has officially worn off
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2004, 04:24:00 pm »
Mr. Balls, you can see Arsenio Hall on Star Search now.  Clearly he's moving up in the world.  He's also sporting dreadlocks, a bit more rugged than that fade he used to have.
 
 
Quote
Originally posted by Rutherford J. Balls:
  Aresenio used Denny's as the butt of his monologue jokes for about a month straight.
 
 Gawd, how I miss the Arsenio Hall show.

Re: The novelty has officially worn off
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2004, 04:28:00 pm »
My mum, Mrs. Balls, will be thrilled to hear the news regarding Mr. Hall. She always had a crush on him.
 
 
Quote
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Mr. Balls, you can see Arsenio Hall on Star Search now.  Clearly he's moving up in the world.  He's also sporting dreadlocks, a bit more rugged than that fade he used to have.
 
   
Quote
Originally posted by Rutherford J. Balls:
  Aresenio used Denny's as the butt of his monologue jokes for about a month straight.
 
 Gawd, how I miss the Arsenio Hall show.
[/b]