Author Topic: Pixies fans  (Read 99630 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Pixies fans
« Reply #780 on: December 09, 2004, 10:53:00 am »
Championship, I was at that show at the Citadel Center too! I was thinking of going up for the final NYC shows, but when I woke up this morning I thought I would be more bummed that my little Pixies roadtrip extravaganza was over. Guess I'm getting older too...but I figure that I never thought I'd see them again after 1991 and I've been lucky enough to have seen them 9 times now. I definitely have to say that the best for me was the first night in Chicago. That was just one of those shows that made me feel so darn happy to be alive to witness such an amazing event. The first night in Philly was pretty excellent too. All in all, they were ALL solid shows and I'm just happy that I live in a city where they did multiple nights. I'll be the people in Boston are going to have an amazing time at the Avalon tonight.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #781 on: December 09, 2004, 11:02:00 am »
the part about Kim Deal looking like a soccer mom cracked me up.   :D
_\|/_

lily1

« Reply #782 on: December 09, 2004, 11:03:00 am »
no doubt that show will be fantastic!

Originally posted by bunnyman:
   I'll be the people in Boston are going to have an amazing time at the Avalon tonight.

thirsty moore

« Reply #783 on: December 09, 2004, 11:06:00 am »
Wednesday's gig was a solid show by The Pixies.  Best show of the year for me.

lily1

« Reply #784 on: December 09, 2004, 11:11:00 am »
last night was better than tuesday night. but tuesday was still good.

SalParadise

« Reply #785 on: December 09, 2004, 11:45:00 am »
Originally posted by lily1:
  last night was better than tuesday night. but tuesday was still good.
agreed.

i cabbed it to 930 club after they finished to catch mos def's late night show.

that isla/something/crackity/broken encore was exactly what i needed to get me through the rest of the night.

SalParadise

« Reply #786 on: December 09, 2004, 11:50:00 am »
Originally posted by streetspirit:
  Seeing as I'll be in New York next week I figured I could try and see them again.  Anyone have tickets for the 530 show on Dec 18th at Hammerstein? Or the midnight show that night?
i might have an extra for the early show.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #787 on: December 09, 2004, 12:01:00 pm »
personally it's nice to see a band like the pixies trapped in time, another reunion tour in 15 years would work for me. hopefully i'll see Madness for the third time in 15 years as well
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #788 on: December 09, 2004, 12:46:00 pm »
Really good show, though there's not a deep connection with the audience from anyone of them.

Highlight for me was Kelly Deal in the box in front of us (we were in first row of Section B behind her & to the left a bit).  She sang along and got crazy for Monkey...

TV on the Radio didn't dazzle.  Missed the Bennies.

Darth Ed

« Reply #789 on: December 09, 2004, 09:55:00 pm »
I don't think I can say anything about the Pixies that hasn't already been said, so I'll elaborate on TV on the Radio instead. This concert marked the third time I've seen TV on the Radio so far this year. I confess that I was there as much to see TV on the Radio as I was to see the Pixies! Unfortunately, last night wasn't the best I've seen them perform. My friends who had not seen them before were both quite impressed anyway though. TV on the Radio promisingly started with an amazing rendition of "Young Liars," maybe the best I've heard them perform, but I soon noticed that they had speeded up their subsequent songs by quite a bit. I guess they did this out of some obligation as an opening act at a rock concert to inject some energy into the audience, but I felt the songs suffered as a result, especially "Staring at the Sun" which lacked many of the harmonies that I relish so much. They played far too short of a set last night. Still, it was the best opening act I've seen all year. Here's hoping they headline another tour soon. Would love to see them at the Black Cat again, this time on the mainstage.

SalParadise

« Reply #790 on: December 10, 2004, 05:10:00 pm »
they just released tickets for all nyc shows:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/906179

Gothiczartan

« Reply #791 on: December 12, 2004, 06:24:00 am »
I love the pixies, and I also enjoy their music videos, it's great to see them back together and that means there's no need for vh1 to reunited them.

Bags

« Reply #792 on: December 13, 2004, 01:03:00 pm »
December 13, 2004
 ROCK REVIEW | THE PIXIES
 Once Upon a Time, There Was This Really Loud Band
 By KELEFA SANNEH
 The New York times

It's not hard to envy the Pixies. After more than 10 years apart, the members reunite, only to find that fans (and, if anyone cares, pop critics) love them more than ever. There are sold-out shows, glowing profiles, ecstatic fans. By now you've probably read at least one article about how the Pixies helped inspire a generation of bands, about how much Kurt Cobain loved them, about how water tasted different before they came along, about how the sky used to be a slightly different shade of blue.

But despite all that build-up - or maybe because of it - Saturday's Pixies concert at the Hammerstein Ballroom was a rude, often exhilarating shock. It had been all too easy to forget about the Pixies' ugliness: how fast they played, how loud they were, how nasty they sounded. Compared with the old-timers, the appealing postpunk act that opened the show, TV on the Radio, seemed positively quaint, even polite.

The concert was the opening night of a weeklong, eight-concert engagement, a tribute not only to the continuing popularity of the Pixies but also to the ticket-buying power of the many 30-something fans who remember the band from their college years. (It would be interesting to know how many devotees end up seeing more than one of the eight concerts.) The opening acts are different every night, ranging from pre-Pixies veterans (the reunited Mission of Burma tonight, the pioneering punk bassist Mike Watt next Saturday) to post-Pixies alt-rock bands (the shaggy Canadian collective Broken Social Scene on Tuesday, the feminist new-wave trio Le Tigre on Wednesday). Don't be surprised if the Pixies out-clamor them all.

In 1986, when the Pixies were formed, it made sense that an underground rock band would want to make lots of noise. Shrieked lyrics and guitar tantrums were two signs that you weren't angling to become radio fodder, two signs that you were part of the American postpunk movement - waving the flag, even if you weren't quite marching in step.

But sometime in the 1990's, things changed. The success of Nirvana helped introduce Pixiesish chaos to mainstream listeners who decided that screaming singers and screaminger guitars weren't so hard on the ears after all. From Nine Inch Nails to Korn, shriekers earned a place in overground rock 'n' roll, and the tradition continues today. Turn on your local modern-rock station and wait a few minutes; you'll probably hear the kind of racket that once kept bands off commercial radio.

Not surprisingly, some underground bands responded by getting quieter and sweeter. Those looking for an alternative to the high-decibel ennui of, say, Linkin Park can throw on a CD by the Postal Service or Interpol (to name just two big-name alternative acts), losing themselves in something quieter and more restrained. Emo bands and Ozzfest perennials still scream their lungs out, but lots of bands following in the Pixies' wake have decided to pipe down.

So where does that leave the Pixies? Exactly where they started: alone. On Saturday night, it was a relief to hear that they still sounded utterly and gloriously like themselves, barreling through songs full of elements that might once have seemed disparate but now seem inseparable: the ruthless, sometimes deadpan drumming of David Lovering (in "Bone Machine," he makes it almost impossible to find the downbeat); the precise disruptions of Joey Santiago's electric guitar; Kim Deal's warm slow-motion bass lines; the frantic strumming and gorgeous yelping of Black Francis, a k a Frank Black.

Most startling of all is how little the band's live show has changed over the years. The Pixies' old record label, 4AD, recently released a great retrospective DVD (it's called simply "Pixies") that includes a performance from 1988: Mr. Santiago and Mr. Lovering have hair, Black Francis looks a bit more streamlined, and Ms. Deal looks less like someone you might trust with your car keys, but the furious, off-kilter energy is exactly the same.

Age hasn't affected all of these songs the same way. When Black Francis sang "Where Is My Mind?" it was hard to remember that the phrase had once sounded vague and bitterly evocative; these days, it sounds more like someone making fun of the slacker-chic 1990's. But most of the songs sounded as mysterious and elusive as they always have, from the gently swaying "Caribou" to Ms. Deal's unsettling (and beautiful) sex song "Gigantic," which might be the best thing the Pixies ever did.

If you had to pick a concert for the inevitable live reunion DVD, it probably wouldn't be this one: the members sometimes seemed to be battling one another to establish the right tempo, and a few songs sounded even more ragged than they were supposed to. The band members didn't look as if they were having the time of their lives. They looked like four people working hard to create a marvelous racket; even after watching them do it for 90 minutes, you weren't quite sure how they did it. And as the fans filed out, ears ringing, no doubt some of them were already getting ready to return for another noisy night.

Bags

« Reply #793 on: December 13, 2004, 01:09:00 pm »
So which NY opener would you want to see:

TV on the Radio
 The Datsuns
 Mission of Burma
 Broken Social Scene
 Le Tigre
 Reid Paley
 Mike Watt and the Secondmen
 50 Foot Wave

- I'd go with Mission of Burma...has as much to do with having seen many of the other bands already -- but I think they make the best combo.  

If I hadn't seen TV on the Radio open for them here, I probably would have chosen thta, with BSS coming in third.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #794 on: December 13, 2004, 01:31:00 pm »
I'd definitely choose Mission Of Burma.  I thought Mission of Burma at the Black Cat was a much better show than the Pixies at DAR.  Would make for a great double-bill though.